U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM

45 posts, read 62,547 times

Advertisements

I am familiar with Philly and Delaware county but would like to learn more about Cleveland suburbs, and how they compare to Philly's burbs.

My current impression of Philly's suburbs is that they are extremely beautiful, however also very old and expensive. Also have been very impressed with the family friendly attitude of Philly burbs, the beautiful parks and overall topography. What I have disliked is the lack of shopping options, lack of major fast moving roads to get around, and to me this feeling of being stuck in the past, with little new growth and development. Also dislike that 500k gets you nowhere special in the housing market, and the high taxes.

Our major interest is quality of life in the SUBURBS (as being close to the city is nice, but we never ending up going there), good schools, family friendly attitude, good shopping options and fast moving 2/3 lane roads. Secondary interests are trees, forests, beautiful landscapes and parks to explore nature.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM

11,827 posts, read 9,802,384 times
Philly suburbs have a lack of shoppping? Malls are not my thing but isn't King of Prussia the largest Mall in the country by square footage? I believe Cherry Hill Mall is also a Top 10 Biggest Mall in the country. I agree with your other points.

Cleveland is a cool city and I honestly don't know enough about either suburbs to comment but I spent some time in Avon Lake and it is a very nice area.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 AM

45 posts, read 62,547 times
When I say shopping, I don't mean just big malls, I mean grocery stores, big box stores, strip mall type retail, etc. I mean being in your suburb and being able to drive out and have a variety of stores and restaurants to choose from. I have lived in suburbs of Tampa and Toronto, and the shopping options in the Philly burbs are pretty dismal in comparison.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,175,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane111 View Post
When I say shopping, I don't mean just big malls, I mean grocery stores, big box stores, strip mall type retail, etc. I mean being in your suburb and being able to drive out and have a variety of stores and restaurants to choose from. I have lived in suburbs of Tampa and Toronto, and the shopping options in the Philly burbs are pretty dismal in comparison.
Would be curious to what general part of the Philly region you live in? I agree with alot of your points. This region is so old that it predates the automobile so the infrastructure reflects that. Covenient well planned highways never got built because their was a town,farm or historic estate blocking its path. I-476(Blue Route)the N-S suburban thorofare which carries a million cars a week is only 2 lanes because rich old towns like Swarthmore,Media,Radnor did not want a superhighway running through their town. So you basically get a 26 mile parking lot at rush hour and impatient drivers flooding the small back roads which are nothing more than paved over old windy Indian trails.

Agree with your shopping points as well. Shopping seems hyper-intensive and well confined.Imo its about preserving the "Main Street" retail in many cases. For as much money as there is on the Main Line there are virtually no big box retailers. Its all independent retail and thats not such a bad thing. All the new retail is out in the further N+ W suburbs where all the nuevo rich are settling.Places like Concordville,King of Prussia,Exton,Chester Springs,Plymouth Meeting,North Wales etc etc.

In the Philly suburbs you need to almost be on the suburban NW peripheral to get any bang for your buck- Downingtown- Coventry -Lansdale-. Newer housing in the suburban core is very hard to find and very expensive, comparitively speaking.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM

21,939 posts, read 30,740,972 times
Based on my experiece (more of in Philly) there are probably some similarities in the burbs of these two

Namely:

Older
Picturesque (Clevelan much flatter but quick access to the lake)
Not growing dramatically (Cleveland likely less so than Philly even in this regard)

Areas like say shaker hieghts (very nice and great main thoroughfare) remind me a bit of the Midwest version of the main line (scaled back a bit) or maybe even closer to some Northern Coast burbs of Chicago, again scaled back in size

Cleveland actually has what to me looked like some very livable burbs, quite nice in many places and I would think at a more reasonable price.

I also think the Highways are better in Cleveland, less people, traffic, and better roads

Not sure on the shopping comparison to be honest but am actually a little surpised you find the Philly burbs lacking there (though to your point less big box in many areas and more mom and pop main street stores)

Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,725,794 times
Philly has many middle and lower class suburbs as well that are very cheap but sitll have a historic charm. Cleveland's suburbs are better though in terms of nature.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

735 posts, read 914,555 times
I suggest the OP widen the area she looks at in the Philadelphia suburbs before making judgments.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM

7,390 posts, read 9,399,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane111 View Post
It sounds like you want to be surrounded by sprawl, and I'm extremely thankful that Philly has a relative lack of it. Our big box stores, strip malls, etc. tend to be concentrated in the middle and outer ring suburbs. That's why our inner ring suburbs have so much charm and character. If you want to be close to the city, but are craving that Levitt-esque, auto-centric lifestyle, you'd probably be best suited to somewhere in the Cherry Hill-Voorhees-Evesham-Mt. Laurel corridor.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:44 PM

735 posts, read 914,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Philly has many middle and lower class suburbs as well that are very cheap but sitll have a historic charm. Cleveland's suburbs are better though in terms of nature.
Well given that I didn't even grow up in the suburbs yet I grew up around woods, creeks, and plenty of nature.... I'd say you're wrong about that one.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 7,793,711 times
Cleveland suburbs are surrounded by a National Park known as the "Emerald Necklace" or Cuyahoga Valley National Park:

Emerald Necklace - Cleveland - Reviews of Emerald Necklace - TripAdvisor

I think you'd have reverse sticker shock to see the quality and size of old homes you can buy in Cleveland, especially namely Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, and Lakewood. Check it out...definitely some serious bang for your buck here:

2673 Edgehill Road, Cleveland Heights OH - Trulia

1445 Elmwood Avenue, Lakewood OH - Trulia

2933 Lee Road, Shaker Heights OH - Trulia

Plus don't forget many Cleveland suburbs on located on a Great Lake...so very scenic when combined with the Emerald Necklace. Rocky River and Lakewood come to mind as ideal since they have borders to both.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 02-02-2013 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or