U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Staten Island
Charlotte 40 43.01%
Staten Island 53 56.99%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM

3,285 posts, read 3,512,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
You wouldn't catch me dead in Staten Island. It's a dump. I almost moved to Charlotte. Its really on a rise. It's really a nice town. And affordable. I mean I understand the sunbelt hate on this forum but c'mon, this poll can't be freakin serious. I mean its Staten Island. STATEN FRICKIN ISLAND we're talking about. Charlotte = fun, affordable, rising, good economy, endless activities, healthy people vs Staten Island = New Jersey's (a dump) dump.
You know a person is totally biased when... healthy people is given as one of the arguments to compare places. WHAT THE F????

Even if we take this poster seriously, Charlotte has a higher percentage of obese people compared to Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM

7,058 posts, read 3,672,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
You know a person is totally biased when... healthy people is given as one of the arguments to compare places. WHAT THE F????

Even if we take this poster seriously, Charlotte has a higher percentage of obese people compared to Staten Island.
Also, Staten Island is not a dump. Most of it is pretty suburban with some nice leafy neighborhoods like you find in expensive suburbs.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:04 PM

46 posts, read 109,788 times
What kind of comparison is this? Staten Island is NYC, well part of NYC.. What the hell is Charlotte..? a city in the middle of nowhere. They are two totally different worlds. You have a little downtown area like most of the cities out there are like and once you leave that area it goes into a boring sprawl and everything is all spread out where you have to drive far to get to wherever you need to go?? (no walkability) That's not urban at all. Then a place like Staten Island majority of it is mostly urban more to the north shore, some neighborhoods have more of a suburban feel but everything is close together, pretty congested tight areas. Its small enough to get around easily despite the traffic you have to sit in most of the day but compared to other boroughs like Manhattan and Brooklyn it may seem more suburban or residential. I don't see any comparison with any city really, its a one of a kind island.

Just riding an Mta bus or train and then taking the ferry alone is more adventurous and interesting (due to the different people you encounter nut jobs in NY) then anything you can do in a place like Charlotte. I don't feel like these other cities are exciting places to live. In fact no one should be comparing any sunbelt city or anything in the south to a borough of NYC. Its a cultural shocking difference.. big time. At least here, even if you live in Staten Island and sometimes you need to leave and get off the island because you get bored or just want to hang out or shop elsewhere, there's Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey all next store if you want to go somewhere different.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 PM

582 posts, read 958,957 times
SI for me! The culture in Charlotte is not tolerable.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 PM

1,356 posts, read 2,226,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboo718 View Post
What kind of comparison is this? Staten Island is NYC, well part of NYC.. What the hell is Charlotte..? a city in the middle of nowhere. They are two totally different worlds. You have a little downtown area like most of the cities out there are like and once you leave that area it goes into a boring sprawl and everything is all spread out where you have to drive far to get to wherever you need to go?? (no walkability) That's not urban at all. Then a place like Staten Island majority of it is mostly urban more to the north shore, some neighborhoods have more of a suburban feel but everything is close together, pretty congested tight areas. Its small enough to get around easily despite the traffic you have to sit in most of the day but compared to other boroughs like Manhattan and Brooklyn it may seem more suburban or residential. I don't see any comparison with any city really, its a one of a kind island.

Just riding an Mta bus or train and then taking the ferry alone is more adventurous and interesting (due to the different people you encounter nut jobs in NY) then anything you can do in a place like Charlotte. I don't feel like these other cities are exciting places to live. In fact no one should be comparing any sunbelt city or anything in the south to a borough of NYC. Its a cultural shocking difference.. big time. At least here, even if you live in Staten Island and sometimes you need to leave and get off the island because you get bored or just want to hang out or shop elsewhere, there's Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey all next store if you want to go somewhere different.
Us being in the middle of no where sure seems to attract a hell of a lot more people than SI. But ok.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 PM

126 posts, read 98,040 times
this is prolly the most off topic incomparable thread i seen, i vote si, but dont wan be surrounded by all that water tho when sandy 2 happens

Old 05-24-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Us being in the middle of no where sure seems to attract a hell of a lot more people than SI. But ok.

Your right.. of course it attracts a lot of different people from around the country. Its a lot cheaper in housing, taxes, insurance, you afford more for your money, cheaper in every way even essentials are much cheaper when you go to a store. Who wouldn't want to live there..? Living the simple life down there. If everyone could afford it they would live around here in NY. Why do you think the natives from Staten Island are fleeing to NJ, FL and even the Carolinas etc... to get the hell out of this over priced city. The only people that are moving here now a days are from Brooklyn, here and there manhattan, some yuppies in the downtown area of Staten Island (most desirable) and immigrants, people off the boat. There is a reason why its the most expensive city in the country..? More excitement, more amenities, more lively much more accessible to everything. Living in any other state is foreign n a whole another world compared to NY.. Doesn't matter the borough.. Even crossing the bridge into NJ to live is like pulling teeth.. Imagine NC.. or anywhere in the south?. Its kind of scary. major cultural shock.

Last edited by Bennyboo718; 05-24-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 AM

11,951 posts, read 9,708,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
You wouldn't catch me dead in Staten Island. It's a dump. I almost moved to Charlotte. Its really on a rise. It's really a nice town. And affordable. I mean I understand the sunbelt hate on this forum but c'mon, this poll can't be freakin serious. I mean its Staten Island. STATEN FRICKIN ISLAND we're talking about. Charlotte = fun, affordable, rising, good economy, endless activities, healthy people vs Staten Island = New Jersey's (a dump) dump.
Ridiculous. Don't drag New Jersey into this. And last time I checked, Staten Island is a NYC borough no matter how much the other 4 don't want it to be. Trying to pass it off on New Jersey, nice. It's been New York's since it was circumvented in under 24 hours along with the rest of the NYC islands when state borders were forming. Not even worth touching the "NJ's a dump" part.

I voted Staten Island mostly because of its proximity to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Long Island, and New Jersey attractions. The island isn't all bad, though. It is certainly diverse with distinct neighborhoods ranging from poorer to wealthier areas with all types of demographics. There is the large Staten Island Mall along with some great restaurants (I'm thinking some pretty good Italian food…) as well as a lot of park areas and attractions from beaches to Historic Richmond Town I think it's called. Much of Staten Island is actually pretty wooded and suburban.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM

27,955 posts, read 25,010,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboo718 View Post
What kind of comparison is this? Staten Island is NYC, well part of NYC.. What the hell is Charlotte..? a city in the middle of nowhere.
Charlotte is hardly "in the middle of nowhere," whatever that's supposed to mean anyway.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Much of Staten Island is actually pretty wooded and suburban.
Agreed with everything you said until you got to this part? I think you are mistaken with a part of Jersey you live in. Staten Island is mostly urban compared to NJ.. Unless your talking about the areas more on the south shore, that's more suburban/residential . Wooded? You must be speaking about the greenbelt areas in the middle that cannot be built on and the park areas.. those areas are just cut through from one side of the island to another part. Once you pass those areas in the middle of island cutting through your in pretty urban areas north and mid island, south shore not as much.. depending on neighborhood. Even south shore areas are pretty built up. A bunch of row houses with hardly any parking.. some neighborhoods better than others..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City