Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM

406 posts, read 768,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Detroit
really???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:45 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I would say this style is pretty common pretty much all over the East Coast North and South. Particularly among the late 20s to 30 year-old professional class, upper middle class, and the country club set when they're "slumming it". In particular New York, DC/Nova, Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, and Savannah. Philly and Baltimore not so much, though it's been a while since I've been to either of them.

Come to think of it, all of those examples looks pretty much like people ripped out of the pages of a Vineyard Vines ad. Maybe that's the answer to this thread, if you city has a Vineyard Vines store then you will see people dressed like this. LOL

When I think of Charlotte, Birmingham(really?), Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, and Savannah I dont picture people like that except maybe tourists.

Being from a nice Philadelphia suburb, I see many people dressed like that in those pictures, It is definitely a northeastern thing/california thing, New York mostly, then Boston, Philly, Baltimore and DC. A lot of wealthy southern people tend to dress flashy and tacky, not always classy.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
When I think of Charlotte, Birmingham(really?), Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, and Savannah I dont picture people like that except maybe tourists.
Granted it's a smaller amount of the population in those cities, but they are there and not just tourists. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't all pigs feet sandwiches and NASCAR outside the big cities in the South. In all of the above places you will find people who fit the lifestyle of those examples. And yes, even Birmingham, which has some nice upper income suburbs believe it or not.

Quote:
Being from a nice Philadelphia suburb, I see many people dressed like that in those pictures, It is definitely a northeastern thing/california thing, New York mostly, then Boston, Philly, Baltimore and DC. A lot of wealthy southern people tend to dress flashy and tacky, not always classy.
Maybe a lot of the new rich ones that get reality shows, but not normal every day people. Overall, I have found the bolded to be assumptions based on preexisting stereotypes the media reinforces. And, of course, Texas.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I've definitely seen stuff like #1 in Miami.
except she'd have 5 inch heels on.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
All those preppy ones look like Raleigh in 1980.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,667 times
Affluent suburbs in the DC area. You can also find them in NYC, but it's less common there.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
#1 I could see someone on house wives of beverly hills/oc wearing or someone strolling through rodeo drive maybe.

The second to last is actually quite different from the rest. (More trendy) I see girls dressed like that quite often in certain parts of the city (melrose, silverlake).

The rest is a rare site in Los Angeles. LA is not a preppy city for the most part.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:

I would agree with Charlotte being the exception. Walk around downtown Memphis and Nashville during lunch hour you will not see anything close to what you see in the pictures. Even at the better malls in the suburbs you won't see it.

Some neighborhoods in Chicago like the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park you see nicely dressed women but the style is still more conservative. Not too many bright colors.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would agree with Charlotte being the exception. Walk around downtown Memphis and Nashville during lunch hour you will not see anything close to what you see in the pictures. Even at the better malls in the suburbs you won't see it.

Some neighborhoods in Chicago like the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park you see nicely dressed women but the style is still more conservative. Not too many bright colors.
You seriously need to come to Brentwood (wealthy suburb of Nashville) and look around. Minus the bright colors, there are tons of women here dressed like that. The pictures look like the preschool drop off line where my youngest goes to preschool.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The pictures look like the preschool drop off line where my youngest goes to preschool.
Wow. Lol. Haven't spent too much time in Brentwood. The company I work for puts me up in a hotel there but not too much people watching outside of downtown Nashville and a few malls. Never been to the preschool drop off line though. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City