Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most character and why?
New York City 53 12.90%
Los Angeles 17 4.14%
Chicago 24 5.84%
Houston 9 2.19%
Dallas 9 2.19%
Philadelphia 38 9.25%
San Francisco 34 8.27%
Atlanta 8 1.95%
Washington DC 5 1.22%
Baltimore 5 1.22%
Boston 25 6.08%
Miami 8 1.95%
Seattle 5 1.22%
Phoenix 7 1.70%
Las Vegas 3 0.73%
Denver 3 0.73%
New Orleans 95 23.11%
Saint Louis 5 1.22%
Memphis 3 0.73%
Pittsburgh 9 2.19%
Cincinnati 10 2.43%
Cleveland 4 0.97%
Detroit 1 0.24%
San Diego 0 0%
San Antonio 4 0.97%
Portland 2 0.49%
Buffalo 3 0.73%
Milwaukee 2 0.49%
Tampa 1 0.24%
Charlotte 2 0.49%
Nashville 5 1.22%
Kansas City 0 0%
Indianapolis 4 0.97%
Louisville 3 0.73%
Orlando 5 1.22%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times

Advertisements

I have been to all the cities on that list, and spent some real quality time in most.
Most of them have very unique qualities that separate them from all the rest, but New Orleans, bar none, is THE most unique of US Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Yup, but this being city data, you already know what 90% of us prefer.
I know that. But really, all that can be taken away from this is that a city can have great character, regardless of urban design.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Probably due to the black populations in the south versus the PNW.
I actually agree with this; black culture tends to add a palpable, rhythmic "zest" to a city's atmosphere. That is one major factor in how the character of even cities associated with suburban sprawl, such as Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, felt more palpable to me than that seen in many other US cities, especially those in the many out West, or in the Midwest.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not anyone under 30.
Probably lots of people under 30, considering Boston's ginormous higher education industry.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:46 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
I actually agree with this; black culture tends to add a palpable, rhythmic "zest" to a city's atmosphere. That is one major factor in how the character of even cities associated with suburban sprawl, such as Houston, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, felt more palpable to me than that seen in many other US cities, especially those in the many out West, or in the Midwest.
I guess you'd absolutely love Milwaukee, Cleveland and Detroit then

This sort of angle only works for people like you who are from and thus prefer the south. In no way does Houston feel more "zesty" than Philly, for example. It's in your head.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I guess you'd absolutely love Milwaukee, Cleveland and Detroit then
Depends on the amount of palpable rhythm I feel in those cities.

Quote:
This sort of angle only works for people like you who are from and thus prefer the south. In no way does Houston feel more "zesty" than Philly, for example. It's in your head.
I am not from the South; I'm just a college student in a university that just so happens to be in the region, and already, I see that cities like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, etc that people like to pass off as "generic suburban sprawl," actually have deeper charm, character, rhythm, and zest to them than many cities on this website said to have great culture. Lots of colorful, historic charm to be found in those Southern cities; they truly are magical.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
Quote:
aka demographics, I already knew before you did what you were talking about.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:54 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Depends on the amount of palpable rhythm I feel in those cities.

I am not from the South; I'm just a college student in a university that just so happens to be in the region, and already, I see that cities like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, etc that people like to pass off as "generic suburban sprawl," actually have deeper charm, character, rhythm, and zest to them than many cities on this website said to have great culture. Lots of colorful, historic charm to be found in those Southern cities; they truly are magical.
To you. So you "feel" things no one else does, and backgrasp for explanations.

There's certainly more "zest" in Philly than Houston.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
aka demographics, I already knew before you did what you were talking about.
Its already understood; I already stated that, in the end, it is the people that make up the vibe, culture, etc of a city, and thus the character of said city. Demographic combinations can really allow for some interesting zest. Thus, it is known that character can still exist in a city, sprawled out, or highly-walkable.

Quote:
To you. So you "feel" things no one else does, and backgrasp for explanations.

There's certainly more "zest" in Philly than Houston.
It's okay that you feel this way; I'm sure that lots of people will say that Philly has more zest to it than Houston does. But when it comes to the reasons, their arguments, for the most part, just boil down to Philly being built up and urban, while Houston is associated with suburban sprawl. On the other hand, I'm sure that someone who really gets intimate with people in a city, and explores off the beaten path, would not be as inclined to easily say that Philly has more zest than Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, or Houston; in fact, it wouldn't be a surprise if they actually end up saying that the Southern cities have more zest to them than Philly does.

But when I talk about cities that I feel the Southern cities have more character than, I am mainly referring to many Western US cities, like Seattle, Denver, Portland, etc, not the Northeast.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 09-23-2015 at 03:29 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Well it would be consistent with what he said for Philly to feel zestier than Houston since the former has a larger Black population and arguably a bigger Black cultural influence over a longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City