Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most character and why?
New York City 53 12.90%
Los Angeles 17 4.14%
Chicago 24 5.84%
Houston 9 2.19%
Dallas 9 2.19%
Philadelphia 38 9.25%
San Francisco 34 8.27%
Atlanta 8 1.95%
Washington DC 5 1.22%
Baltimore 5 1.22%
Boston 25 6.08%
Miami 8 1.95%
Seattle 5 1.22%
Phoenix 7 1.70%
Las Vegas 3 0.73%
Denver 3 0.73%
New Orleans 95 23.11%
Saint Louis 5 1.22%
Memphis 3 0.73%
Pittsburgh 9 2.19%
Cincinnati 10 2.43%
Cleveland 4 0.97%
Detroit 1 0.24%
San Diego 0 0%
San Antonio 4 0.97%
Portland 2 0.49%
Buffalo 3 0.73%
Milwaukee 2 0.49%
Tampa 1 0.24%
Charlotte 2 0.49%
Nashville 5 1.22%
Kansas City 0 0%
Indianapolis 4 0.97%
Louisville 3 0.73%
Orlando 5 1.22%
Voters: 411. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I thought that is what it was talking about also, primarily concerned with the local culture and subculture of the people there and how they use the environment to influence it, or be influenced by it, their mannerisms, local festivities, etc.. I think SF has too many yuppie chains in comparison to N.O. or Philly and possibly the diversity there doesn't help the local flavor of the place with too many transplants that waters it down. I can definitely see why somebody would put it behind New Orleans or Philly. Less transplants in both and a much older developed local culture and traditions.

New Orleans and Philadelphia were already busy port cities and developing their culture in the early 1700s.
I agree completely and speaking of local character in New Orleans and Philadelphia, The Mummers Parade on New Years Day is kind of like Philadelphia's Mardi Gras.

2 Street Mummers, Philly's Best kept Secret - YouTube

Philadelphia Mummers Parade 2011 - Quaker City String Band - YouTube

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-24-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I'd give the nod to New Orleans over any US city, but sweeping vistas have litte to do with why SF has so much character. It's the architecture, the streetscape, the kaleidescope of colorful and distinct neighborhoods (something New Orleans lacks), and the many distinct landmarks (GG Bridge, Bay Bridge, Coit Tower, Grace Cathedral, Civic Center, etc.)
Please tell me the neighborhoods you have visited. New Orleans has just as many distinct landmarks.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
The OP defined character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Character defined as:

1)The aggregate of features and traits that form the individual nature.

2) Having the most qualities and characteristics that are natural of it's location and or culture and subcultures native of the location.

3) Reputation of it's own
On the criteria San Francisco could definitely make the case... certainly no less of a case than the other cities mentioned.

As far as my own opinion of what "character" means, I'd give the nod to New Orleans just based on the way that the city's character hits you even as a first time visitor... it's truly infectious. No other city in the US has that same kind of effect on me.

On the other cities, it takes more time (months, years) to pick up on the true character of the city... you will not be able to appreciate the character of San Francisco or Los Angeles or etc. by taking a daytrip to Disneyland or Fisherman's Wharf. In fact, you can live in any of the cities mentioned on this thread and not pick up on a lot of the character if you don't leave whichever bubble you happen to live in.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Please tell me the neighborhoods you have visited. New Orleans has just as many distinct landmarks.
He's just trolling.

I can still remember hearing Zydeco for the first time in a New Orleans McDonald's. White people, black people, Hispanic people, everyone would move around to the music a bit while standing in line to order their sausage McMuffins. Quite peculiar.

I also remember a number of older black women strolling home from church with parasols in hand. I thought parasols were something that went out of style with chattel slavery and plantation life. But apparently not in Louisiana.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's just trolling.

I can still remember hearing Zydeco for the first time in a New Orleans McDonald's. White people, black people, Hispanic people, everyone would move around to the music a bit while standing in line to order their sausage McMuffins. Quite peculiar.

I also remember a number of older black women strolling home from church with parasols in hand. I thought parasols were something that went out of style with chattel slavery and plantation life. But apparently not in Louisiana.
Amazing really. Zydeco playing in a Mickey D's, only in NO. And those older Black women aren't doing it because it's "en vogue" they do it because NO is NO. Also interesting are the 2nd lines in NO. 2nd lines are one of helluva way to have a funeral. Fun Funerals:

SOULJA SLIM FUNERAL - YouTube

Revolution Second Line 2010- Butt cutting up - YouTube

Michael Jackson New Orleans 2nd Line - YouTube

Old 02-24-2013, 07:18 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Portland, Seattle, Austin, and San Francisco.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
San Francisco is "America's Postcard City." Every tourist from outside the US probably ranks it as #1 of what they saw in the States, at least the foreigners I know. New Orleans may have a unique character, but it doesn't have the sum total of everything that San Francisco offers up. Jaws don't drop in New Orleans.
I guess you've never partied on Bourbon.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
I said I'd give New Orleans the nod over SF, but definitely not Chicago or Philly.

SF looks like nowhere else in the world, the streets are filled with the most eccentric people you could imagine, the cities extreme structural density means strange hole-in-the-walls and weird surprises meet you at every turn, Victorian rowhouses angle at 45 degrees along steep hills, the architecture is ornate and unique, the neighborhoods are more distinct and colorful than any other city in the Country (Haight, Castro, Mission, Fillmore, Nob Hill, Tenderloin, North Beach, Noe Valley, Chinatown - the City almost feels like a theme park of distinct neighborhoods), there are unique landmarks everywhere you go (Coit Tower, Civic Center, GG Bridge, Mission San Francisco De Asis, etc.), and there's just a unique, quirky, anything-goes, all-is-possible vibe throughout much of the City that I've never experienced anywhere else.

In other words, it has character. If nothing else, San Francisco has character. It's the reason why SF is consistently ranked as European travellers' favorite US city. Chicago and Philadelphia are both awesome cities with great local culture, but they don't have the same character SF does.

Also, I've lived in over a dozen cities and don't currently live in SF, so this isn't a personal bias.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
I said I'd give New Orleans the nod over SF, but definitely not Chicago or Philly.

SF looks like nowhere else in the world, the streets are filled with the most eccentric people you could imagine, the cities extreme structural density means strange hole-in-the-walls and weird surprises meet you at every turn, Victorian rowhouses angle at 45 degrees along steep hills, the architecture is ornate and unique, the neighborhoods are more distinct and colorful than any other city in the Country (Haight, Castro, Mission, Fillmore, Nob Hill, Tenderloin, North Beach, Noe Valley, Chinatown - the City almost feels like a theme park of distinct neighborhoods), there are unique landmarks everywhere you go (Coit Tower, Civic Center, GG Bridge, Mission San Francisco De Asis, etc.), and there's just a unique, quirky, anything-goes, all-is-possible vibe throughout much of the City that I've never experienced anywhere else.

In other words, it has character. If nothing else, San Francisco has character. It's the reason why SF is consistently ranked as European travellers' favorite US city. Chicago and Philadelphia are both awesome cities with great local culture, but they don't have the same character SF does.

Also, I've lived in over a dozen cities and don't currently live in SF, so this isn't a personal bias.
What about the other continents? I'd be interested in hearing what they think.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM

630 posts, read 994,236 times
New Orleans, Charleston, Providence and SF are most characteristic cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City