Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 01:43 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times

Advertisements

I've been in South Florida for about two years and love the sun, warmth, and women. However, I'm not a fan of the HUGE New York influence that continues to grow every year. Also, even though the interstate traffic where I am is actually much better than where I came from (Nashville), it just feels really crowded in general here at times. Probably because there are 6 million people sandwiched between the Atlantic and the Everglades with very few wide open spaces or backroads even within driving distance.

The easy solution would be to head over to Tampa, Sarasota, or another Gulf Coast Florida city, and that is certainly an option. However, I'm 30 years old and I've never lived west of the Mississippi, and I kind of want to at least try it before I settle in somewhere for the long haul.

Here's a little bit about me and what I'm looking for.

-Me: 30 year old male, single, in shape, love fitness and working out, not into the club scene but want decent nightlife options.

-Women: I understand anywhere I move probably won't have the awesome single-girl-to-single-guy ratio of South Florida, but not looking to move to a total sausage fest town either. Want lots of single women and all the single dudes to be uglier than me (j/k).

-Political: Strong fiscal conservative but don't really give a rat's a** about social issues (live and let live).

-Religion: Believe in God but feel religion is a private thing and if it must be discussed, should be done so with tolerance and respect for differing beliefs. Would have trouble in a strong Bible Belt city as well as an anti-religious atheist stronghold like Portland or SF.

-Career: Part of my income is derived from an e-commerce business I've had for years. I will also be looking to run a residential services business (air duct cleaning, carpet & upholstery cleaning, tile & grout, and more). I want to be somewhere that gives this particular business the best shot at succeeding.

-Weather: Love the sun. Don't mind the heat. Can tolerate SOMEWHAT chilly weather in winter as long as it doesn't come with gray skies, snow, and rain.

-Transportation: Have a personal vehicle that gets great mileage and love to use it. Don't give a rat's a** about public transportation and don't want my taxes ever raised to build it.

-Cost of Living: Would be looking to rent for a year first anywhere I go. Would like to keep it under $1,000/month. I know that rules out most decent areas of LA/OC but if that wins in every other category I might make an exception or even live in a shoebox in a questionable area (I'm a pretty big dude, walk with confidence, never had any issues with random crime, and have a CCW permit).

Someone match me to one of the three I listed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:17 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
If you want A LOT of sun and then some then Phoenix and Vegas would be in your liking but if you want sun with moderate temperatures year round attached to it then SoCal will be in your liking.

Women: SoCal has beautiful women all up and down the coast. Phoenix area is a runner up. Lots of beautiful women there as well. Vegas has beautiful women as well but u have 2 keep in mind that finding a long term relationship might be difficult since a lot of women you encounter in bars&clubs are tourists.

Politically: Phoenix definitely fits your political wanting. Fiscally conservative but the majority can care less about your lifestyle, religion, etc(live and let live). SoCal has conservative areas but it's pretty liberal overall. Vegas of course is well...Vegas lol but leans moderate/liberal.

Religion: Phoenix is pretty religious overall. Many ppl are church goers but it isn't "Bible Belt" in no way. The majority wont shove their religion down your throat(live&let live)I'm not sure about the religious climate of LA&Vegas.

Career: Your occupation can be anticipated in any major city.

Weather: All are warm and 2 are HOT for 4 months. Phoenix is hotter than the devil's kitchen from June-mid Oct. Nice warm weather the rest of the year though. Winter nights and early mornings are a little chilly. Vegas is the same as Phx just a few degrees cooler in summer but winters are colder. It can snow in Vegas(rare but can happen) and it does snow in the surrounding mountains of Vegas. LA is pretty much perfect warm weather year round.

Transportation: Well since U made it clear U won't be using public transit it's not a worry

COL: Yeah u will need a roommate in LA/OC if you want to stay under $1000/month. Phoenix&Vegas $100/month gives you a lot of options on where to live. You can rent a house or apartment...whatever suits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City