Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather vacation in?
San Diego 36 63.16%
Seattle 21 36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times

Advertisements

Depends want to go on a cruise go to Seattle the largest cruise port on the west coast . Want beaches go to San Diego.
Want mountains go to Seattle. Want to go to the #1 zoo in the country go to San Diego. Want the largest car Museum in the world, or one of the largest air and space museums go to Seattle. Want Sea World and other amusment parks go to San Diego. Want multiple national parks and a rain forest go to Seattle. Both are beautifull waterfront cities. You want Mall shopping in an urban downtown setting go to San Diego. You want big urban city style downtown shopping go to Seattle. Want subways go to Seattle . Want streetcars go to San Diego. Seattle has the Space Needle , Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Top world Museums. San Diego has Top world Zoo's, Amusement parks, Beach's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Both cities are great and both have many attributes. I will bring it back to climate. Seattle is unbelievablely beautiful during the summer. San Diego probably has the best weather of any major city in the U.S. (Athough, even S.D. gets some ugly days, just fewer and further between!) And while Seattle isn't inexpensive, San Diego really isn't inexpensive. As in, expensive.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:31 AM

443 posts, read 877,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Would you rather have a night of passion with Megan Fox... or diarrhea?

San Diego wins in just about any category you can conjure up. Weather, women, scenery, nightlife, etc. Vacation in Seattle? No thanks.
Seattle has better nightlife and way better scenery. Also, better downtown amenities, more walkable, better neighborhoods, better restaurants.

In the summer, Seattle is an amazing place. Sunny, 75-80 degrees, and the streets, parks, beaches, restaurants, bars, etc are all packed. The City is bustling with energy and amazing nearby recreational opportunities are all accessible, not to mention the whole City looks gorgeous.

So, in the summer, this is a no brainer - Seattle by far. However, during other months - when Seattle is grey, wet, drizzly and a bit sleepier - I'd probably rather vacation in San Diego.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
San Diego without a moments hesitation for too many reasons to list.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
I love both of these cities. Seattle is a cooler more interesting and beautiful city but SD awesome weather gives them the advantage for all but the summer months.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
If you like upscale shopping then Seattle. Seattle has the flagship Nordstrom,Flagship R.E,I, Flagship Barney's, and flagship Eddie Baur. And the Department stores are large 300,000 to 500,000 sq ft not like the mall size ones in downtown San Diego. Just the Downtown Nordstrom and connected Pacific Place complex in downtown Seattle is larger than all of Horton Plaza. And thats just one department store. Downtown Seattle also is a good place for economy shopping also it has the flagship Nordstom Rack, a 3 story Target, a 3 story TJMax, A 2 Story Ross, A 4 story Forever 21, a 3 story H&M, A new 2 story Zara under construction .Those are just some of the larger clothing stores . Downtown has hundreds of stores. So I guess if I wanted an urban city shopping trip I would pick Seattle . But of course San Diego wins in the beach area. Also a side note it was just anounced downtown Seattle will be geting an SLS Hotel and night club breaking ground in the spring. Its kind of kool because the only other places that have them are Beverly Hills, New York ,Las Vegas and Miami Beach.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
So, in the summer, this is a no brainer - Seattle by far. However, during other months - when Seattle is grey, wet, drizzly and a bit sleepier - I'd probably rather vacation in San Diego.
I think what's really a no brainer is the that the short summer season in Seattle is the best time to visit there and late summer going well into September is very nice (though the spring bloom is very pretty as well and there are some nice days hit or miss during that season). That said, summer in San Diego is pretty awesome too. It doesn't get too hot and you can actually get in the water and play in the waves without a wetsuit then.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
If you like upscale shopping then Seattle. Seattle has the flagship Nordstrom,Flagship R.E,I, Flagship Barney's, and flagship Eddie Baur. And the Department stores are large 300,000 to 500,000 sq ft not like the mall size ones in downtown San Diego. Just the Downtown Nordstrom and connected Pacific Place complex in downtown Seattle is larger than all of Horton Plaza. And thats just one department store. Downtown Seattle also is a good place for economy shopping also it has the flagship Nordstom Rack, a 3 story Target, a 3 story TJMax, A 2 Story Ross, A 4 story Forever 21, a 3 story H&M, A new 2 story Zara under construction .Those are just some of the larger clothing stores . Downtown has hundreds of stores. So I guess if I wanted an urban city shopping trip I would pick Seattle . But of course San Diego wins in the beach area. Also a side note it was just anounced downtown Seattle will be geting an SLS Hotel and night club breaking ground in the spring. Its kind of kool because the only other places that have them are Beverly Hills, New York ,Las Vegas and Miami Beach.
Is Downtown Seattle the premier shopping district/mall in the region? I know Seattle's downtown is better overall than SD's and it's more of a downtown oriented metro so I was curious if that is where the best and most upscale shopping is too. For San Diego Fashion Valley is a more upscale and the premiere mall of the region and not Horton Plaza with stores like Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Hermes, LV, etc..

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think what's really a no brainer is the that the short summer season in Seattle is the best time to visit there and late summer going well into September is very nice (though the spring bloom is very pretty as well and there are some nice days hit or miss during that season). That said, summer in San Diego is pretty awesome too. It doesn't get too hot and you can actually get in the water and play in the waves without a wetsuit then.
I agree, i know Seattle probably has some awesome summers but I don't see how they are really much better than SD's.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,081 times
For me. Seattle has more things going on than San Diego and is more cosmopolitan. San Diego feels like a sleepy beach town to me. The nice weather tends to get montonious and boring, and other than the beachlife, San Diego doesn't have much to offer like Seattle does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City