Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,706 times

Advertisements

I feel that D.C. has a larger sophisticated population, African Americans included.

Atlanta is definitely more "ghetto", but definitely isn't "country".

Both have proven that African Americans can be just as successful as Caucasians, as has many other Southern cities.

What does it take for a city to be Southern? I'm sure both Atlanta and D.C. would both qualify.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Usually, the people who like Washington, D.C. consider it a northern city and the people who dislike it consider it southern. Partiality rules. That's what you see over and over on these forums. lol.

(For the record, I enjoy the Washington, D.C. region for its wealth and prosperity. The Founding Fathers of this nation laid the groundwork for an amazing city 224 years after the fact. Can't deny that! ;-)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-02-2013 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

I like D.C. and consider it both.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I like D.C. and consider it both.
Well, in the context of this forum, "southern" is used as a codeword for "country" and "backwards." This is especially true as it applies to Washington, D.C.

It has quickly become the 2nd most significant city/urban conglomeration of the eastern United States. And some folks can't accept this status it has attained. Hence, the labeling.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, in the context of this forum, "southern" is used as a codeword for "country" and "backwards." This is especially true as it applies to Washington, D.C.

It has quickly become the 2nd most significant city/urban conglomeration of the eastern United States. And some folks can't accept this status it has attained. Hence, the labeling.
Wouldn't "country" and "backwards" be "redneck"? I thought Southern meant nicer people, charming towns, a lot of history, ect.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:12 PM

492 posts, read 790,677 times
Quote:
I feel that D.C. has a larger sophisticated population, African Americans included.

Atlanta is definitely more "ghetto", but definitely isn't "country".

Both have proven that African Americans can be just as successful as Caucasians, as has many other Southern cities.

What does it take for a city to be Southern? I'm sure both Atlanta and D.C. would both qualify.
How is Atlanta more "ghetto"?

Care to explain?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
How is Atlanta more "ghetto"?

Care to explain?
LOL is this a serious question?

Let me re-phrase. Atlanta definitely has more ghetto acting people. Not to offend anyone, but Atlanta is very materialistic, to where anyone and everyone thinks they can shop at these expensive places, ect, ect, ect just because it's Atlanta and they have it. To me, that's not very Southern. But outside of the immediate metro, Southern hospitality still exist.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...anta-dc-3.html
  • "From my experience there tends to be more ignorant, uneducated acting people in Atlanta (both black and white). Don’t get me wrong, there are some very well educated professional people in Atlanta, but the ignorant ghetto acting folks are more prevalent in Atlanta and they like to “infiltrate” areas where more educated acting people like to hang out. In DC ghetto acting folks hang out in ghetto acting places.
  • I don’t want to offend anyone by saying that there are more ignorant people in Atlanta, but the fact of the matter is when I first moved to Atlanta I wanted to live in an urban area with other blacks like myself – high school graduate or greater, well mannered/respectful, with a touch of class. Instead I found Atlanta to be ghetto and country. DC area has a lot more sophisticated acting people."
I do not agree with defining Atlanta as country, however.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
LOL is this a serious question?

Let me re-phrase. Atlanta definitely has more ghetto acting people. Not to offend anyone, but Atlanta is very materialistic, to where anyone and everyone thinks they can shop at these expensive places, ect, ect, ect just because it's Atlanta and they have it. To me, that's not very Southern. But outside of the immediate metro, Southern hospitality still exist.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...anta-dc-3.html
  • "From my experience there tends to be more ignorant, uneducated acting people in Atlanta (both black and white). Don’t get me wrong, there are some very well educated professional people in Atlanta, but the ignorant ghetto acting folks are more prevalent in Atlanta and they like to “infiltrate” areas where more educated acting people like to hang out. In DC ghetto acting folks hang out in ghetto acting places.
  • I don’t want to offend anyone by saying that there are more ignorant people in Atlanta, but the fact of the matter is when I first moved to Atlanta I wanted to live in an urban area with other blacks like myself – high school graduate or greater, well mannered/respectful, with a touch of class. Instead I found Atlanta to be ghetto and country. DC area has a lot more sophisticated acting people."
I do not agree with defining Atlanta as country, however.

You should post the whole comment instead of a snipet to make Atlanta look "ghetto".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiQueen View Post
Grindin,

I was born and raised in the DC area, but now I live in Atlanta. I moved to Atlanta in 1998 after graduating from high school (I’m 28 now), but I moved back to the DC area in 2001 (I’ll tell you why later). Then in late 2002 I moved back to Atlanta. I can’t give you job specific info but I would like to give you some of my thoughts on both areas. I’ve read some of your posts in the past in the Atlanta threads so I am a little familiar in your opinions on things and I know that you are an educated black man.

Here are my thoughts on both areas:

Atlanta is very segregated, especially compared to the DC area. If you are the type that likes to mix and mingle with other races including your own, then DC is a much better choice.
  • From my experience there tends to be more ignorant, uneducated acting people in Atlanta (both black and white). Don’t get me wrong, there are some very well educated professional people in Atlanta, but the ignorant ghetto acting folks are more prevalent in Atlanta and they like to “infiltrate” areas where more educated acting people like to hang out. In DC ghetto acting folks hang out in ghetto acting places.
  • I don’t want to offend anyone by saying that there are more ignorant people in Atlanta, but the fact of the matter is when I first moved to Atlanta I wanted to live in an urban area with other blacks like myself – high school graduate or greater, well mannered/respectful, with a touch of class. Instead I found Atlanta to be ghetto and country. DC area has a lot more sophisticated acting people.
  • Atlanta is the land of opportunity for blacks. Yes DC has plenty of opportunity for blacks as well, but you are in more competition with other races where some employers might choose them over you. In Atlanta race is not an issue for blacks
  • Atlanta is very suburban, and in some parts rural. I am from Northern Virginia (DC Suburbs), but even NOVA is more urban than most of Atlanta. This is what I dislike the most about Atlanta. I believe that inside city limits, you shouldn’t have to rely on a car, but in Atlanta you NEED a car. That brings me to #5…
  • DC has the cleanest most user friendly rail system. Marta can’t even compare to Metro. You don’t need a car in DC because Metro is everywhere you want to be – even in the suburbs.
  • Atlanta is more of a “Chocolate City” than DC will ever be. There are way more educated blacks in Atlanta area than in DC area…and no I’m not contradicting myself from my #2 statement because yes there are more ignorant acting people here too. The reason why I say that there are more educated blacks in Atlanta is simply because there are more black people period here. DC has parts of the city and PG County as the largest concentration of blacks while Atlanta has the city, South Dekalb and South Fulton. Also there is a higher percentage of blacks in the predominantly white areas of Atlanta (like Cobb, Gwinnett, etc) than in the predominantly white areas of DC (like Arlington, Fairfax, etc.).
  • People in Atlanta are more real and true to themselves, friendlier, and more accepting of others. People in DC are definitely more fake, more materialistic and everything is a competition. People in DC act like if someone doesn’t have what they have then they aren’t worth sh**. Yes I’m from DC, but the truth is the truth! I can’t stand the way some people from DC look down on others just because they can’t afford brand name everything.The cost of living in DC is ridiculous. I know you said that you are aware of this, but please understand that this is what might ultimately make or break your decision. I bought a brand new 3 bedroom 2 ½ bath house for $150,000 back in November. If I were living ANYWHERE in the DC area, I would still be living in an apartment.
  • There are way more things to do and see in DC and everything is in walking distance or a short Metro ride away.
  • Once again, the above statements are from a single black 28 year old female from Northern Virginia (with family and friends that live inside of DC itself and Maryland) who moved to Atlanta in 1998. By the way, I moved back to Atlanta because of the cost of living, and I didn’t have to deal with other races acting like I didn’t know as much as they did. Other races are very respectful of blacks in the DC area compared to Atlanta, but there is a silent form of prejudice that you will encounter in the DC area from time to time. In Atlanta I can be around my own people and not have to deal with that; although I do miss the diversity of the DC area.[
I always think about moving back to the DC area, but then I keep reminding myself that if DC was so great, I wouldn’t have left it in the first place. As you can see I have listed my personal pros and cons to both cities. There is so much more that I can say, but my post is long enough.

I hope this helps.

Nice try though, but apparently this poster thought D.C. was materialistic also and that Atlabta had more educated blacks too.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
You should post the whole comment instead of a snipet to make Atlanta look "ghetto".

Nice try though, but apparently this poster thought D.C. was materialistic also and that Atlabta had more educated blacks too.
I posted the link for a reason.

The snipet was to better sum up what I was saying, as the poster had the same point as I.

Don't understand why you seem to be getting so definsive.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I posted the link for a reason.

The snipet was to better sum up what I was saying, as the poster had the same point as I.

Don't understand why you seem to be getting so definsive.
You are making Atlanta out to be ghetto and DC civilized and trying to quote snipets of others word to justify it.

It won't work here unless you are willing to define what you consider "ghetto" and quantify it beyond racist stereotypes as it applies to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City