Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,842,808 times

Advertisements

Northern charm? I thought it was Southern charm.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Not DC. People also don't talk of Southern efficiency usually.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Arlington looks very similar to the city of Atlanta. The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is basically the same setup as the peachtree corridor in downtown Atlanta through midtown Atlanta. The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor may not have as many parking lots or vacant lots as the Midtown Atlanta strip does, but they are still very similar in my opinion. The setup is definetly similar. I would say the only significant difference between the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor and the downtown Atlanta-midtown Atlanta corridor is density. The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor has a density between 30,000-44,000 people per square mile. The Atlanta urban corridor has between 8,000-21,000 people per square mile. That will take a while to get up to the density of the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor but the bones are there and they are both built linear.
The city of Atlanta extends far beyond the Peachtree corridor, however. Even then, neither Rosslyn or Ballston have anything similar to the historic commercial heart of DT Atlanta, the Fairlie-Poplar district. There are no urban universities like GA State and GA Tech, nothing akin to the GWCC Complex or Pemberton Place, and not much is like Atlanta's other commercial districts and surrounding neighborhoods, especially towards the west and south where there are some stark demographic contrasts.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The city of Atlanta extends far beyond the Peachtree corridor, however. Even then, neither Rosslyn or Ballston have anything similar to the historic commercial heart of DT Atlanta, the Fairlie-Poplar district. There are no urban universities like GA State and GA Tech, nothing akin to the GWCC Complex or Pemberton Place, and not much is like Atlanta's other commercial districts and surrounding neighborhoods, especially towards the west and south where there are some stark demographic contrasts.
It is interesting that Rosslyn-Ballston have much higher population densities than anywhere in Atlanta (and by a wide margin). However, downtown Atlanta seems to be significantly more organic-feeling than any of these pre-fab, sterile urban environments outside of DC.

That Fairlie-Poplar district looks really nice, if a bit on the small side.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd say you're exaggerating a bit much here. I mean, let's be serious: there's not that much "hustle" in government workers. Or contractors for that matter. It's virtually guaranteed employment that can't be taken away from you absent a protracted hearing before the Merit System Protection Board. And half of the employees work flex schedules on top of that. Atlanta actually has more "hustle" as far as that entrepreneurial spirit and people really working to make a quick buck.

The federal government wasn't even open today due to the 2 inches of snow that slammed the DC area. That is characteristically southern.
Not every worker in the DC area is a government worker. What he said was very true regarding other occupations. (I may have read this out of context - just setting things straight.)

Climate in the suburbs of DC is very similar to Philadelphia's climate, if not more snowy due to its more inland position. DC city proper is cooler and more snowy than Baltimore as well. The government was more than likely taking precautions - in some areas of the metro, a full foot of snow was expected (which obviously didn't happen).

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It is interesting that Rosslyn-Ballston have much higher population densities than anywhere in Atlanta (and by a wide margin). However, downtown Atlanta seems to be significantly more organic-feeling than any of these pre-fab, sterile urban environments outside of DC.
Have you visited Alexandria, Va? The Old Town dates back to the 1740s - decades before Washington, D.C. was even thought of. Check it out next time you're in the area.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
That's the joke. The south is not known for efficiency and the north is not know for charm. DC has the worst of both worlds instead of the best.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Have you visited Alexandria, Va? The Old Town dates back to the 1740s - decades before Washington, D.C. was even thought of. Check it out next time you're in the area.
I may be mistaken, but I think he was referring to the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in particular.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think he was referring to the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor in particular.
Yeah, that area is sterile-looking. But my god is it expensive - even for the DC metro area. People who live in Rosslyn sure pay a premium for those views of Washington right across the Potomac.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, that area is sterile-looking. But my god is it expensive - even for the DC metro area. People who live in Rosslyn sure pay a premium for those views of Washington right across the Potomac.
Oh yeah, it's definitely a highly sought-after area. I wish Buckhead would have taken some cues from Ballston in terms of development patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City