Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but are you saying that you consider African Americans in Prince George's County to be "rural blacks"? That would be funny, because Prince George's County is known to be the wealthiest majority-African American county in the United States.
If that's what I was saying, you could just quote my own words back to me. I didn't say that African Americans in Prince George's County specifically were rural blacks. I said that Maryland has a large number of rural blacks, which is characteristic of most southern states.

Quote:
And I believe the history of Prince George's County shows that the black population declined in the early 20th century when most of the early black population left the county. But then, the black population began to grow again in the late 20th century when an INFLUX of black people came from outside of Prince George's County. So, Prince George's County is basically a black mecca and a kind of black transplant success story. So, I don't understand your gripe with this county.
Why do you think I have a "gripe" with the County? I said that Prince George's County had a substantial slave population, which is true. It's not only that blacks moved to the County during the 20th Century. There was already a sizable black population there to begin with.

Quote:
As for mentioning slavery, you are aware that New York City had slavery well into the 19th century, right? Come on, man, times change. Stop living in the distant past.
I don't know why you guys continue to make this ridiculously weak argument in an effort to paper over history. There's a pretty big difference between New Hampshire with 1 slave in 1840 and Maryland with 89,737 slaves in 1840. Maryland was not simply a state that had slaves; it was a slave society. I mean, if you want to draw an important distinction between Vermont and Maryland, there it is: chattel slavery. I know that may crush your blessed little liberal, progressive heart into pieces, but the facts are the facts, man. And things like slavery and Jim Crow, little things like that, ya know, have a huge impact on present day residential patterns and culture.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not so interesting. West Indians can have cultural differences from Black Americans and still be "black." And West Indians can be different from Black Americans and still be viewed by the latter as "black." Your statement wasn't about highlighting cultural differences between the two groups. Your moronic point was: "We all know y'all aren't real black people. You know, like the ones whose forefathers were enslaved in this country and therefore enjoy a right to ***** and moan about every perceived racial slight. Or the people who own Washington, DC and have a moral and legal right to the land forever and ever." That was the real motive behind your question.

No, actually I was assuming you were a foreigner based on your moronic idea's. That's why I asked the question and the fact that you didn't come right out and proundly say you were born here proves my point. A real American would have said it right away!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
No doubt.

No, you're asking a question that has absolutely nothing to do with DC or Atlanta.

First, I wouldn't say that the tone was derogatory.

Second, I'm not objecting to the fact that West Indians are different, I'm objecting to the notion that they are not "true" black people (whatever that is supposed to mean). You know damned well what you meant when you made that statement. You always have this sort of dismissive attitude--the same attitude you displayed upthread when you were telling people: "You're not black, you're not from here, you're irrelvant." You weren't asking the question with a sincere motive to further the discussion. You were looking for a basis to dismiss my views as irrelevant.

At any rate, I don't see my place of birth as being relevant to the topic of this thread.

So what?

Which basically means you weren't born here. An American would say they were born here right away.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:10 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
Quote:
I don't know why you guys continue to make this ridiculously weak argument in an effort to paper over history. There's a pretty big difference between New Hampshire with 1 slave in 1840 and Maryland with 89,737 slaves in 1840. Maryland was not simply a state that had slaves; it was a slave society. I mean, if you want to draw an important distinction between Vermont and Maryland, there it is: chattel slavery. I know that may crush your blessed little liberal, progressive heart into pieces, but the facts are the facts, man. And things like slavery and Jim Crow, little things like that, ya know, have a huge impact on present day residential patterns and culture.
Jim Crow laws were enacted all over the country, not just in the South. Look at places such as the West Coast, the Lower Midwest, etc.

Yes, Maryland did have a lot of slaves, but even so, 1/2 of them were set free by the time the Civil War started. Delaware was the only other slave state back then with a higher percentage of former slaves set free - around 75%.

In any case, history isn't everything.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Which basically means you weren't born here. An American would say they were born here right away.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Jim Crow laws were enacted all over the country, not just in the South. Look at places such as the West Coast, the Lower Midwest, etc.
How does that change the fact that if my grandfather were on a train headed from Philadelphia to DC, he would have had to move to a "Whites Only" car in Maryland? You can't say Maryland is the Northeast and ignore that bit of history. That was one of the major differences between North and South, especially for blacks.

Quote:
Yes, Maryland did have a lot of slaves, but even so, 1/2 of them were set free by the time the Civil War started. Delaware was the only other slave state back then with a higher percentage of former slaves set free - around 75%.
Again, what "northern" state ever had 100,000 slaves. Who cares how many were free? As if that provides consolation to the other 90,000 blacks getting ass kickings on Maryland plantations for working in the tobacco fields too slowly. If you were a slave in Maryland, your goal was to make it North where you would be free.

Quote:
In any case, history isn't everything.
It's only the history you don't like that means nothing.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
How does that change the fact that if my grandfather were on a train headed from Philadelphia to DC, he would have had to move to a "Whites Only" car in Maryland? You can't say Maryland is the Northeast and ignore that bit of history. That was one of the major differences between North and South, especially for blacks.

Again, what "northern" state ever had 100,000 slaves. Who cares how many were free? As if that provides consolation to the other 90,000 blacks getting ass kickings on Maryland plantations for working in the tobacco fields too slowly. If you were a slave in Maryland, your goal was to make it North where you would be free.

It's only the history you don't like that means nothing.

At the end of the day, we all know Maryland had slaves. It is what it is. My ancestors and the other African American's on this forum's ancestors paid the price so they and I could be on this forum. They paid the price so your family could emigrate from the Caribbean after my people paid the price to be free here in America. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that.

Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line and has many southern qualities. Washington D.C., however, is very different from Maryland and people in the city don't have many things in common with the south anymore. Maybe in the past, there was a connection, but in 2013, that connection is long gone.

This area is mid-Atlantic at best. It’s a hybrid of both with a little local flavor mixed in as well. Why can't you just be happy saying D.C. is its own place separate from both the north and south?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 03-08-2013 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
My ancestors and the other African American's on this forum's ancestors paid the price so they and I could be on this forum. They paid the price so your family could emigrate from the Caribbean after my people paid the price to be free here in America. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with that.
Yep. That's the attitude I'm talking about. At least you were a tiny bit more upfront about it this time. We've had this discussion a thousand times already.

The Immigrant Factor | Inside Higher Ed

How did your family "pay the price" for my father's family in the Carolinas, btw?

Quote:
Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line and has many southern qualities. Washington D.C., however, is very different from Maryland and people in the city don't have many things in common with the south anymore. Maybe in the past, there was a connection, but in 2013, that connection is long gone.

Washington, DC is not that different from Maryland. It's only different insofar as there's a huge overload of yupsters.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 03-08-2013 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Yep. That's the attitude I'm talking about. At least you were a tiny bit more upfront about it this time. We've had this discussion a thousand times already.

The Immigrant Factor | Inside Higher Ed

How did your family play the price for my father's family in the Carolinas, btw?

Washington, DC is not that different from Maryland. It's only different insofar as there's a huge overload of yupsters.

If your father is American and not West Indian, then his side of the family would qualify. Otherwise, they would not. Also, real black people are pretty much the same everywhere. They eat the same food and like the same things. You have been going on about how the D.C. area has white people from anywhere U.S.A. and has no local culture. You mean we aren't full of people who aren't American? This is not Italy and this is not Ireland. It's ok to respect those culture's and enjoy what they have to offer, but that does not make them better than real American's that embrace our culture here in this country. You have been going on and on about a bunch of people here (legally or illegally I don't know) that have not lost their foreign culture here in America. Well, I guess what you are really saying is D.C. represents America and Philly, NYC, and Boston do not. If you like Italy and Ireland or Russia so much, why don't you move to one of those countries? That will allow you to escape anywhere U.S.A. you hate so much.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
If your father is American and not West Indian, then his side of the family would qualify. Otherwise, they would not.
Right. And you are....Tavis Smiley, I take it?

Quote:
Also, real black people are pretty much the same everywhere.
Word?

Quote:
They eat the same food and like the same things.
Mmh hmm.

Quote:
You have been going on about how the D.C. area has white people from anywhere U.S.A. and has no local culture.
Actually, I said it has generic, SWPL culture. It's similar to what you'd find in Austin.

Quote:
You mean we aren't full of people who aren't American?
You don't think guys like Michael Bloomberg, Rudy Giuliani and Frank Rizzo are (were) American?

Quote:
This is not Italy and this is not Ireland. It's ok to respect those culture's and enjoy what they have to offer, but that does not make them better than real American's that embrace our culture here in this country.
You should go to South Philly and tell the Italians down there that they're not real Americans.

Quote:
You have been going on and on about a bunch of people here (legally or illegally I don't know) that have not lost their foreign culture here in America.
How are the Irish and Italians in New York here illegally? What are you smoking? Or is it just your sub-par P.G. County Public School education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City