Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM

86 posts, read 129,431 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is the more southern city because it IS in the south, while DC is where the Northeast meets the Southeast.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm Southern born and bred and don't do chitlins and haven't had pig feet in years. Oh but I will tear up some corn on the cob though, so fire away; I'm a big boy and can handle it.
Same here. Can't stand Chitlins or pig feet. Never ate them. As far as corn on the cob, I never thought that was Southern...

Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,913 times
Corn on the cob is southern now?? wow

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM

465 posts, read 657,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Slim,

I'm from DC and we never ever consider ourselves southern. You sound smacked! DC is 100% Mid Atlantic. From the accent to the dress to the way we carry ourselves, no one will confuse someone from DC with someone from Atlanta. The only similarities DC has with the ATL is the look and feel of some areas of PG County. Blacks in DC and the ATL are very different from each other.

Listen champ, did I ever say that we consider ourselves southern? Where did I say post that, you need to read before you start running your mouth. What I did mention is that we have some southern culture here. Churches are a huge part of the community in DC right? You ever been told that you have a slight Southern drawl. What about the amount of Soul Food that people consume here. What tha F!!! does mid-atlantic mean anyway it's just a Geographic location. I think my point is that when the question is whether or not DC is more Southern or more Northern. I say it's definitely more Southern and history backs that up. Now if the questions is which is more Southern, DC or ATL. Well.. ATL wins hands down. It just kills me how some of you dudes fail to embrace your Southern roots. Do you think the people up North think that we're generally closer to them culturally. Why don't you ask them and see.

Last edited by dcallday; 04-30-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 03:25 PM

465 posts, read 657,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Compared to DC, I would not call Atlanta liberal. There's a difference between being liberal and being a democrat. Atlanta's black churches would never support gay marriage. NEVER!
What's special about that? What Black churches in DC supported gay marriage? I believe they fought very hard to stop the law from passing if my memory serves me right.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
How "progressive" can states be on the issue of same sex marriage when many of them were banning it just 8 to 10 years ago?

Is it about who sees the ignorance and error of their ways the soonest?

Old 04-30-2014, 04:10 PM

320 posts, read 578,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Same here. Can't stand Chitlins or pig feet. Never ate them. As far as corn on the cob, I never thought that was Southern...
I could never stop eating Chitlins. Was raised on it. I just don't eat it all the time.. I hope this generation continues to eat it because it seems like younger blacks don't like soul food as much as their elders did. My kin always ate it from the roota to the toota.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
I could never stop eating Chitlins. Was raised on it. I just don't eat it all the time.. I hope this generation continues to eat it because it seems like younger blacks don't like soul food as much as their elders did. My kin always ate it from the roota to the toota.
I'm the exact opposite. Nothing good about eating that and I hope this generation continues to stops eating that crap literally. I can only tolerate a full Soul food meal once or twice a year and one of those is on a certain holiday in November.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM

249 posts, read 399,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People eat chitterlings at the Florida Avenue Grill.
I've seen old black people in NYC and Philly do it too so kill that noise.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM

249 posts, read 399,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Listen champ, did I ever say that we consider ourselves southern? Where did I say post that, you need to read before you start running your mouth. What I did mention is that we have some southern culture here. Churches are a huge part of the community in DC right? You ever been told that you have a slight Southern drawl. What about the amount of Soul Food that people consume here. What tha F!!! does mid-atlantic mean anyway it's just a Geographic location. I think my point is that when the question is whether or not DC is more Southern or more Northern. I say it's definitely more Southern and history backs that up. Now if the questions is which is more Southern, DC or ATL. Well.. ATL wins hands down. It just kills me how some of you dudes fail to embrace your Southern roots. Do you think the people up North think that we're generally closer to them culturally. Why don't you ask them and see.
To be fair alot of black people in DC tend be more aggressive than blacks in the south, especially the younger generation. DC also has northern driving aggression. People here are the rudest in America right after NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City