Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
So there are still people in this world that can't get over the fact that DC has been a "northern" city for decades now.
This is the only place you'll see people call DC southern.

No one in real life considers DC to be the south, especially if you ask people who live in DC/the DC area.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

No one in real life considers DC to be the south, especially if you ask people who live in DC/the DC area.
I don't think this forum is quite as divorced from real life as some think. I found it a bit amusing that in the Advocate's 2014's Gayest Cities in America list, the entry for DC (which ranked first) began with, "In many respects, D.C. is still part of the South."

Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think this forum is quite as divorced from real life as some think. I found it a bit amusing that in the Advocate's 2014's Gayest Cities in America list, the entry for DC (which ranked first) began with, "In many respects, D.C. is still part of the South."
The DC area and the Miami area are similar in that they are historically southern but don't really feel too southern nowadays.

Miami probably less so, imo, since it is hands down the largest recipient of Northeasterners of any U.S. metro.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC has a few mega churches in the city proper (e.g., Greater Mt. Calvary, Temple of Praise), but in Atlanta the majority of them are in the 'burbs as well.
What's your definition of a mega church? I'm thinking 5,000 and up. Mt. Calvary and Temple of Praise don't have those numbers.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
What's your definition of a mega church? I'm thinking 5,000 and up. Mt. Calvary and Temple of Praise don't have those numbers.
Greater Mt. Calvary definitely has more than 5,000 members. Whether they're all present at one time is a different story.

Bible Way Temple may also qualify by that standard.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Quote:
I've attended Mt Calvary and it does have over 5,000 members. There are Alot of Gays that attend Reid temple also

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The DC area and the Miami area are similar in that they are historically southern but don't really feel too southern nowadays.

Miami probably less so, imo, since it is hands down the largest recipient of Northeasterners of any U.S. metro.
I largely agree with this.

Quote:
The threshold is 2K+ in weekly attendance to be considered a megachurch. Megachurches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Greater Mt. Calvary definitely has more than 5,000 members. Whether they're all present at one time is a different story.

Bible Way Temple may also qualify by that standard.
I know that in its heydey in the 90's when its founding pastor was still alive, Bibleway definitely qualified. I'm not sure what the membership numbers look like now but I'd guess they run around 2K or close to it.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 PM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Slim, i don't know what part of DC you are from, but around my way, DC is much more Catholic than it is Baptist. We went to St. Gabriels and Sacred Heart. Plus, DC doesn't even have those mega churches you see in Atlanta. Our mega churches are in PG County. You sound real ignorant because black people in New York/Philly/Boston eat soul food too. My mother is from Brooklyn and she will destroy some chitlins. Stop acting like soul food is big in DC slim. Uptown dudes will never embrace any southern traditions. NEVER! And I'm not asking any up north people to confirm my identity. You sound dehydrated. That's some straight bama sh*t.

Not that it's any of your F'kin business but I grew up in NE and SE. And let me say this to you "SLIM" you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about, your points about DC not having mega churches and not being big on soul food just shows how out if touch you are. However, I'm going to let you enjoy being mired in ignorance. I believe that the other posters have already proven that most of your points are completely bogus and devoid of facts. You haven't provided one secondary source to backup any of your points. Btw this ain't the mid 90's bruh there really isn't that much separation between uptown and the south side right now. Somebody should have let you know that the crack wars are over!!! Just by listening to you it sounds as if you were in diapers when they were going on anyway. Good luck educating yourself about the real history of the AA community in DC.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Not that it's any of your F'kin business but I grew up in NE and SE. And let me say this to you "SLIM" you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about, your points about DC not having mega churches and not being big on soul food just shows how out if touch you are. However, I'm going to let you enjoy being mired in ignorance. I believe that the other posters have already proven that most of your points are completely bogus and devoid of facts. You haven't provided one secondary source to backup any of your points. Btw this ain't the mid 90's bruh there really isn't that much separation between uptown and the south side right now. Somebody should have let you know that the crack wars are over!!! Just by listening to you it sounds as if you were in diapers when they were going on anyway. Good luck educating yourself about the real history of the AA community in DC.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post

Well, New Yorkers (City and Upstaters) consider anything south of PA "the South". Never heard the same from Pennsylvanian's, though...

At any rate, in my experience is that your statement is 99% true. I gives a Damn what these "publications" and articles say for shock value or reader's interest to a certain demographic. Much less, what the outdated Census Bureau classifies. It is almost certain that you'll never hear the debate between DC's Northerness/Southerness in real life, because it isn't a debate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City