U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city's downtown would you absolutely not want to walk around late at night?
New York (Midtown) 1 0.79%
Los Angeles 2 1.59%
Chicago 5 3.97%
Philadelphia 5 3.97%
Baltimore 17 13.49%
Washington 4 3.17%
Miami 3 2.38%
Atlanta 5 3.97%
St. Louis 7 5.56%
Detroit 52 41.27%
Memphis 11 8.73%
New Orleans 10 7.94%
Other (specify in post) 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,935,304 times

Advertisements

If you had to walk across downtown for one hour at 3:00 AM, which city would least want to do it in? You can include neighborhoods that are immediately adjacent to the downtown as well.

Also, include a route from your own city and tell us how safe you would feel walking there in the middle of the night.

- New York (using Midtown Manhattan as downtown)
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Philadelphia
- Baltimore
- Washington
- Miami
- Atlanta
- St. Louis
- Detroit
- Memphis
- New Orleans
- Other (specify in post)

Without looking up crime stats, my initial reaction is to choose Detroit. As for the route in my city (Portland) you could walk from the South Waterfront development along the river, then walk through downtown and Chinatown, then the Pearl and finish in the industrial area north of downtown. I'll give it about a 9/10 for feeling safe. I've walked around there at 3:00 AM before and felt secure the whole time and I'd do it again.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM

10,089 posts, read 11,480,691 times
In Los Angeles it really depends on what part of downtown you are talking about. The Historic Core, South Park and the stuff in between I'd feel okay about walking around that late at night... Skid Row, the Industrial District not so much.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM

10,262 posts, read 9,264,261 times
Probably cities with high crime stats...Anyway i won't check them lol

Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM

14,496 posts, read 22,137,321 times
The Tenderloin in San Francisco

Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM

9,974 posts, read 12,874,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was going to mention that as well... The Tenderloin is okay if you're walking through parts of it during the day(good Asian food around the margins of it), but at night there's parts(the corner of Turk and Taylor) that are a descent into the abysss of drug-fueled "crazytown" that get a little dicey...

All in all though, I've never had much problem walking through the worst parts of Tenderloin at a brisk pace--just don't engage anyone who looks sketchy--and yes, that is crack that they're smoking... You know you've left the Tenderloin when you can't smell urine as much...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM

21,355 posts, read 28,088,694 times
Quote:
I have to be honest, while seedy esp for SF standards I dont feel all that threatened there, maybe this is conditioning from worse cities I have resided (but nothing like bad parts of North Philly for example, to me it feels a little like some gentrifying parts of West Kennsington which is sort of a hot neighborhood these days in Philly).

One thing to me that is surprising is that the Loin is what would seemingly be pretty in demand real estate wise given the proximity to very nice locales. It seems less dangerous to me when compared to a G-ho/Point Breeze (thinking the border area as G-ho closer to rittenhouse is better than the loin today (maybe not 10 year ago) in Philly maybe similar distance to Rittenhouse as the loin would be to Union sq. I recnetly ventured through it in the evening to Asia SF (yes I know a tourist trap but actually had a lot of fun there) from my hotel in Union sq and walked home later, while I would probably do Market if I did again, just to me smarter if walking I didnt feel all that threatened though some intersting folks.

That said I dont find many DTs particularly dangerous especially among the more active ones. Crime yes, fear no

I might suspect that St Louis (though speculation) may be moreso as its less traveled (and to me less busy is more dangerous on the DT regard)

For adjacent nabes, the area between say 8th and Broad and Vine to Girard is pretty dismal in Philly and to me would make most feel unsafe, a huge public housing complex and lots of shady characters, mostly an area that people do not venture into honestly, nothing there to draw them

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM

21,355 posts, read 28,088,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I was going to mention that as well... The Tenderloin is okay if you're walking through parts of it during the day(good Asian food around the margins of it), but at night there's parts(the corner of Turk and Taylor) that are a descent into the abysss of drug-fueled "crazytown" that get a little dicey...

All in all though, I've never had much problem walking through the worst parts of Tenderloin at a brisk pace--just don't engage anyone who looks sketchy--and yes, that is crack that they're smoking... You know you've left the Tenderloin when you can't smell urine as much...
and vomit, felt like I was home. I have never experienced a city with as many people vomiting as Philly and saw that in the loin but agree with you remarks, are pretty spot on based on my recent encounter

Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

It's not that "dangerous" but it's just not a place I want to walk through really at all. Especially before dinner when some crackhead picking at their bleeding scabs makes you lose your appetite. That's on top of public defecation of course.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One thing to me that is surprising is that the Loin is what would seemingly be pretty in demand real estate wise given the proximity to very nice locales.
All the low-income/homeless/etc... advocates would have a fit if they tried to gentrify the Tenderloin and kick out the crackheads, bums, and poor people. The area could really be a nice neighborhood if it gentrified and got rid of all the SRO's.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM

9,974 posts, read 12,874,645 times
Quote:
It's not that "dangerous" but it's just not a place I want to walk through really at all. Especially before dinner when some crackhead picking at their bleeding scabs makes you lose your appetite. That's on top of public defecation of course.
We've gone about four posts about the Tenderloin and so far we've mentioned, the smell of urine, vomit, public defecation, open crack smoking, and bleeding scab picking... Okay, I think that about sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City