Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 PM

52 posts, read 130,245 times

Advertisements

Originally from Pittsburgh... I have lived in Philly for about 8 years... now counting down the days until I move to Arizona.

Philly served its purpose for what I wanted at the time I moved here... city life, nightlife, singles, and career. I have lived in center city my whole time here in Philly. It is a safe place if you have common sense but I am over all of the violence. I don't even watch the news any longer. I am also sick of the hustle and bustle and I am looking to slow down and enjoy life. I wouldn't raise my children here if I have them.

I am excited for sunshine even if it is hot, trips to CA and Vegas by car, more land to explore, a healthier lifestyle, and a different opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1313 View Post
Originally from Pittsburgh... I have lived in Philly for about 8 years... now counting down the days until I move to Arizona.

Philly served its purpose for what I wanted at the time I moved here... city life, nightlife, singles, and career. I have lived in center city my whole time here in Philly. It is a safe place if you have common sense but I am over all of the violence. I don't even watch the news any longer. I am also sick of the hustle and bustle and I am looking to slow down and enjoy life. I wouldn't raise my children here if I have them.

I am excited for sunshine even if it is hot, trips to CA and Vegas by car, more land to explore, a healthier lifestyle, and a different opportunity.
Haha how many times have you've been the victim of a crime? Stop over-exaggerating. You wouldn't raise your kids in the Philadelphia suburbs? Huh There's not many better places in this country to raise a family.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM

287 posts, read 340,606 times
Moving from the best city in America to a boring desert sprawlhole is beyond idiotic.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Moving from the best city in America to a boring desert sprawlhole is beyond idiotic.
Haha easy killer, people have many different priorities and preferences. I can definitely see why people choose to live somewhere warm with plenty of cheap land/low costs. I'd love to grow my own food and herbs on a nice piece of land in a warm climate someday but right now in my twenties Philly is where I want to be.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM

52 posts, read 130,245 times
I was lending my opinion to the original poster not the commenters that feel the need to aggressively defend Philly. It is actually sad that you feel the need to ask me if I have been a victim of the crime as a way to minimize the crime in Philly. Do I think Philly is as unsafe as people who have never lived in this area think it is? No.. but I do know that crime is a major factor in this city and I could list all the recent events that have made me feel this way.

As far as where I would like to raise a family... Philly just isn't for me. But again that is my opinion and I was lending that to the original poster.

I am just excited to have the chance to spend another chapter in my life in a different area of the US. Staying in one place can make a person become closed minded and defensive... haha.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I wouldn't move to Philly. If you said New York versus Phoenix, that would be a tough decision but Philly is very blue collar in my opinion. Philly has arguably the rudest people(blue collar and meathead come to mind) in the country. The city doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of amenities in my opinion, I much prefer NY, Boston and D.C. to Philly. There is the crime, the run down areas, the horrible weather, the smokestacks and industrial ghetto, I can't see how anyone would choose Philly over Phoenix. I mean if you are going to go for an urban high rise city on the east coast, why in the world would you choose Philly over NY, Boston or D.C.

Most of the people that I know who live in Philly are those who tolerate it because they had no choice but to live there due to a job or school. They like it because it's close to NY by train and is less expensive. But I don't know people who choose to live in Philly based on any type of high lights. There are something like 7 medical schools there and a lot of universites (UPenn etc) but as soon as they are done with training, they can't wait "to get the heII out of Philly" in their words. It's just not a comfortable place to live which is why they don't settle there. Most of the people I know who live there try to move to NY or D.C. if they can.
The cities are like night and day. Each has their pluses and minuses. While many might like a place like Phoenix, we left the sunbelt because we wanted a place with 4 distinct seasons and walkable urban vibrancy and would never return to the oppressive heat, strip centers and car culture. To counter the post above, many folks like us are indeed moving to Philly because it IS Philly. There is an amazing restaurant scene, some of the best museums in the country, a wealth of historical sites, and the performing arts offerings are incredibly diverse and dynamic (goggle these amenities in each city and draw your own conclusions). Here are a different set of facts to balance those posted above: Center City gets younger - Philly.com.

Here are some views (my pix):

Best of luck to the OP in making your selection!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM

from the above pictures, how can anyone NOT be awestruck by Philly? It has history and character that Phoenix can't even dream of approaching. For the OP, don't move to Phoenix unless you want a boring life in a hot desert with abysmal public transportation and basically nothing to do in the city. Well, Phoenix does have the plus of being closer to nature but hiking in the desert and mountains gets boring after a while, right?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
I love Philly!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
from the above pictures, how can anyone NOT be awestruck by Philly? It has history and character that Phoenix can't even dream of approaching. For the OP, don't move to Phoenix unless you want a boring life in a hot desert with abysmal public transportation and basically nothing to do in the city. Well, Phoenix does have the plus of being closer to nature but hiking in the desert and mountains gets boring after a while, right?
Perhaps. I do remember really loving the deserts when visiting Phoenix.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Yeah, Phoenix is also a cultural, intellectual, and food desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City