Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in
Cincinatti 65 27.78%
Seattle 169 72.22%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Actually I have relatives in Seattle(I visit almost every year, I see things with my own eyes and was there for Christmas '13). Seattle is not crowded? By Mexico City standards? Every major US city is crowded. Infrastructure investments and amenities are not just unique to Seattle.

I'm not sure quality of life is seeing homeless camping underneath I-5 ramps( a local told me there's 3000 homless just in DT Seattle? Also, my political affiliation is not what you think, I just don't agree with Lenin statues being erected anywhere in the US(read some history from time to time).
There is a difference between being urban and being crowded. Every major U.S. city is not crowded. I never said infrastructure investments or amenities were unique to Seattle. You are making sweeping generalizations that are based out of fear. Using a city's homeless population to scare people away from what is a seemingly thriving area is low and baseless. Seattle and Cincinnati do have homeless issues that must be addressed, but so does as you put it "every major city in America." If you think Seattle is crowded than I guess you would be terrified of visiting New York City or Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
There is a difference between being urban and being crowded. Every major U.S. city is not crowded. I never said infrastructure investments or amenities were unique to Seattle. You are making sweeping generalizations that are based out of fear. Using a city's homeless population to scare people away from what is a seemingly thriving area is low and baseless. Seattle and Cincinnati do have homeless issues that must be addressed, but so does as you put it "every major city in America." If you think Seattle is crowded than I guess you would be terrified of visiting New York City or Tokyo.
Visiting NYC? I visited Tokyo once and lived in NYC for 7 yrs.

Just pointed out the homeless in Seattle based on what I recently saw (tents under the freeways in various areas). I don't remember those 10-15 yrs ago. And everyone has a different idea of what 'thriving' is.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM

116 posts, read 222,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
Guy Fieri just spent several days here, he found several reasons to visit.
That's not something I'd brag about.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
Seattle.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM

25 posts, read 23,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
It shouldn't actually. The city of Seattle couldn't even get a simple project like the Monorail done...
Uh, you're seriously referencing the monorail project? That was 50 years ago.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
The expert has spoken.. yeah those who smoke weed, of course dream of moving to Seattle(are you?)

Note: In the Seattle forum there's a lot of discussions going on that the quality of life has gone down the hill since the '90's(when I lived there, actually a bit north of Seattle). I visit often and even though I've never been to Cincy and am not fond of OH, I'd say Seattle has gotten crowded, expensive, shootings taking place etc.. and suffers from many issues of larger cities. I've also heard the city is becoming increasingly leftist(some posters even call it 'communist"(there's a statue of Lenin in Fremont)). Don't get me wrong, overall I like Seattle, I just think the city is not on the right path lately.

Of course you will base your opinion on the phase of the moon and the prevailing winds in CA as usual.
I don't smoke pot but dreamed of moving here from Cincy for lots of other reasons and have been happy the last 7 years. You say you lived in Seattle in the 90s, "actually a bit north of Seattle", whatever that means, and that you've heard it's becoming increasingly liberal. You then reference the Lenin statue but it's been here since the 90s, when you say you were here. When you say "a bit north of Seattle", what do you mean, Everett?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quid View Post
Uh, you're seriously referencing the monorail project? That was 50 years ago.
You're seriously getting alecky with me?

It was the late 90s to 2005. Sure it feels like a million years ago. But it doesn't change the fact that it perfectly exemplifies Seattle politics. Seattle wasted $125 million dollars into thin air for that whole fiasco of the failed Monorail "project". There's even a couple names for how Seattle handle things... The "Seattle Way" or the "Seattle Process". It's enough to want to blow your brains out.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I always laugh at people like Quid, who are so pissed off with Cincinnati that they continue to complain about the place from afar. OBVIOUSLY Cincinnati has an impression on people. There's a lot more to the city than some generic, bucolic slice of Americana. I think it takes effort to live in Cincinnati. You need to be strong willed and willing to fight. It's the political epicenter of the US, the swing County of the swing State. It's the place where North meets South, Appalachia meets the plains, urban meet rural. It has always been a political battle ground and will always be a political battle ground thanks to it's geography. That is why the world's largest consumer marketing corporations are all firmly established in Cincy.

Quid, I'm sorry you couldn't handle living in Cincinnati. I'm glad you found someplace that suits your sensibilities better. That said, let sleeping dogs lie.
It's not that I couldn't handle it, it's that the smugness could be cut with a knife and the city should no signs of life for around 20 years. I'm glad the city has FINALLY begun to change but I grew sick of waiting. Life is short and I wanted better, so I went out and got it. It's that simple. I lived in Cincinnati 36 years and had enough. Yeah, I know the city's record.

I generally forget about Cincinnati but am visiting in September for the first time since 2010. I'm going with a friend who picked up copies of the Pittsburgh and Cincinnati editions of the Entertainment Book. I looked through both for discounts and have to say that Pittsburgh blows Cincy out of the water, at least in terms of those books' offerings. It triggered old DEEP irritations with the city, which is why I took umbrage with some of the prior comments.

I've kept tabs on various Facebook pages (the streetcar page, some of the breweries, etc), news media and Cincinnati friends' thoughts regarding Cincy's recent changes and am aware there's a lot going on which isn't in the Entertainment books. It seems that most of the development has taken place in OTR and around The Banks, so I'm sure I'll hang out there a good bit. I'm going with an open mind, believe it or not, but to claim the city didn't have major issues for years as well as an unwillingness to change is a joke.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quid View Post
Maybe you mean the light rail. The monorail was in 1962.
Wow... you clearly are not as familiar with Seattle as you like to think you are. Do your research and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Wow... you clearly are not as familiar with Seattle as you like to think you are. Do your research and you'll see exactly what I mean.
You're 100% correct on this, I was wrong. Deleted my comment. My bad.

I'm cool with admitting when I'm wrong, which is more than can be said for most commenters on this thread. I arrived in Seattle in 2007, so I missed the Monorail project by a couple years. For what it's worth, you got me researching another side of Seattle. I truly love this city and am always trying to learn more. Some people suggest there's no history here, which is silly.

Last edited by quid; 07-22-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City