U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city on the West Coast has the strongest Black presence
Los Angeles 60 25.86%
Oakland 155 66.81%
Seattle 3 1.29%
Phoenix 3 1.29%
Las Vegas 3 1.29%
Sacramento 2 0.86%
Richmond, CA 1 0.43%
Vallejo 4 1.72%
Riverside 1 0.43%
San Diego 0 0%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:45 AM

1,403 posts, read 979,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Tacoma is 12% Black, which is one of the highest on the West Coast for a city above 200,000. While Seattle is only about 8% black (largely concentrated in South Seattle), there are a number of cities between Seattle and Tacoma that have black percentages between 10% and 20% (Kent , Renton, Federal Way, Tukwila, etc.)

So I'd argue that the stretch between South Seattle and Tacoma - including the cities in between - has a pretty strong black presence by Western standards. In addition, that area has a relatively strong history of black culture, with figures such as Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, and Sir-Mix-a-Lot and a lot of black NBA talent like Brandon Roy, Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, Doug Christie, etc. emerging from there.
These are both numbers that include miles race black and black Hispanics. Tacoma is 10.4% black and Seattle is 6-7% black.

Also LA is obviously premier, and Oakland. Why even delve into them? As an east coaster I selfishly want to learn more about LV, Central Valley, San Joaquin Valley, and Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 13,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ark-county-nv/

Per '17, Clark County is 11.4% black. Alameda (Oakland) is 10.2% black; Sacramento County is 9.3% black; Los Angeles County is 7.8% black...

I think in the case of large West Coast cities, and there is only a handful, but in the case of these cities, its widely understood that West Coast cities have outsized black influence relative to cities out east or elsewhere with similar black populations. In the case of these cities, I think Vegas has firmly moved into the "third" most attractive city for blacks out West, but even though it has the largest population by percentage, as of yet it lacks the history and entrenched hallmarks of influence that Oakland and LA have. And even then, Sacramento tends to be underrated in this regard, and is very similar in depth of its black community as LV...
I used us quick facts to get my 12.5 percent number. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,US/PST045217

Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM

31,611 posts, read 53,870,563 times
Solano County is 14.7% Black

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

5,664 posts, read 6,005,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Tacoma is 12% Black, which is one of the highest on the West Coast for a city above 200,000. While Seattle is only about 8% black (largely concentrated in South Seattle), there are a number of cities between Seattle and Tacoma that have black percentages between 10% and 20% (Kent , Renton, Federal Way, Tukwila, etc.)

So I'd argue that the stretch between South Seattle and Tacoma - including the cities in between - has a pretty strong black presence by Western standards. In addition, that area has a relatively strong history of black culture, with figures such as Jimi Hendrix, Quincy Jones, and Sir-Mix-a-Lot and a lot of black NBA talent like Brandon Roy, Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, Isaiah Thomas, Nate Robinson, Doug Christie, etc. emerging from there.
But the thing is, a lot of the black population in Seattle is from immigration. Tukwila for example has a lot of Somalis - probably the majority of the black population. Same with Ethiopians/Eritreans in some of the south Seattle neighborhoods.

Tacoma seems to have a higher percentage of US born blacks.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

664 posts, read 271,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
These are both numbers that include miles race black and black Hispanics. Tacoma is 10.4% black and Seattle is 6-7% black.

Also LA is obviously premier, and Oakland. Why even delve into them? As an east coaster I selfishly want to learn more about LV, Central Valley, San Joaquin Valley, and Denver
I’m not sure what you’re talking about but according to the 2018 summary below and to the 2010 census Tacoma is 12% Black. The Margin off error for ACS is not precise enough if we’re talking about 1-2% differences. ACS is just a sample that provides rough estimates with relatively high margins of error.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...ma-population/

If we’re talking apples to apples I wasn’t aware Black Hispanics were not being included for all the other cities. Can you provide evidence for that? The Census/ACS treat ethnicity separately from race and typically when they list race they’re not parsing out Hispanic blacks as far as I can tell.

Old Today, 07:58 AM

54,173 posts, read 77,666,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But the thing is, a lot of the black population in Seattle is from immigration. Tukwila for example has a lot of Somalis - probably the majority of the black population. Same with Ethiopians/Eritreans in some of the south Seattle neighborhoods.

Tacoma seems to have a higher percentage of US born blacks.
Actually, there is a strong Black presence in that area due to the strong military presence in that area as well. So, I'n sure that most of the Black people in that general area are African Americans.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

54,173 posts, read 77,666,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Solano County is 14.7% Black
Yup...Places like Vallejo, Suisun City, Fairfield and Vacaville may surprise some people in terms of percentage(all between 10-25%). Again, it is a county that has a pretty strong military presence and as recent as 2010-2014 census info., the black median household income was at/around the national figure at the time($53,482 national figure/$53,735 black figure for Solano County). So, there is a pretty decent black middle class presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or