U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city on the West Coast has the strongest Black presence
Los Angeles 52 25.87%
Oakland 135 67.16%
Seattle 3 1.49%
Phoenix 3 1.49%
Las Vegas 2 1.00%
Sacramento 1 0.50%
Richmond, CA 1 0.50%
Vallejo 3 1.49%
Riverside 1 0.50%
San Diego 0 0%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:09 AM
 
Location: East End of Pittsburgh
747 posts, read 1,026,108 times
Reputation: 520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Uhhh, Los Angeles by a few miles. What a question. Any question that has "capital" and "West Coast" in it will will automatically be Los Angeles except maybe technology.

The LA area still has more than 1 million black people for now, while Oakland has only 100k and fast declining. Not to mention the gangster/West Coast rap style started in LA.

What does West Coast Gangster Rap have to do with a black presence? Is black culture limited to rap now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM
 
85 posts, read 120,021 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
What does West Coast Gangster Rap have to do with a black presence? Is black culture limited to rap now?
It's just an example of one aspect of black culture that has lately come out of LA, not that its the most important part. I personally have no real dog in this fight because I despise the West Coast, but if I were forced to move west, I'd really only live around LA (even if a job elsewhere pays more).

If people on CD can't see how a place with more than 1 million black people has been more impactful and more of a presence on black culture than an area with less than 500,000 blacks and a city that has only a little more than 100,000 black people, then I don't know what to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
California Black Demographics
LA: 1,230,023 Oakland area: 471,566
Using the percentage logic, that means that Memphis must be more of a Black capital than Atlanta or NYC is. In the real world though, when I think of a Black Californian, I think of Los Angeles.
But this thread is not about 'Black Californian'---this thread is about how strong the Black presence is inside cities and their local metropolitan area.

NOT which is the most powerful over the entire West Coast. Clearly that would be Los Angeles.

As far as how present Blacks are over the entire city, Oakland over LA by quite a margin but its easier to conquer 56 square miles than 500.

Hope that clears things up for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Reputation: 14495
Now in the areas of Los Angeles where Blacks are dominant, those areas are far more Black than similar areas in Oakland, which tend to be a bit more diverse.

Maps are sized to scale:


The darker the hue, the greater the percentage:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 3,986,344 times
Reputation: 3094
I think you have to go with Oakland as far as presence.

If you mention LA to the outsider with no knowledge they will think of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Lakers, and a ton of other things before they get to black people.

Mention Oakland and I guarantee you blacks will be mentioned in the top two or three by most.

Though I think the AA reputation for both cities is based more on the past than present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
In the real world though, when I think of a Black Californian, I think of Los Angeles.
I tend to agree with this.

I've never lived in California, but this is what I've observed among people from there or people moving there.

I meet more black people from the LA area (obviously).

People from LA tell me to never move to the Bay because it's lame. People from the Bay generally don't have an opinion about LA one way or the other (not one I've heard anyway).

Black women say the dating scene is extremely difficult in the Bay Area. I've known several who attended Berkeley and Stanford and then moved to DC or NYC for this reason.

Most black people from the East tend to move to LA.

So I'd say it's not just the media, but it's a general perception that there's more going on for blacks in LA based on hearsay, alumni networks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think you have to go with Oakland as far as presence.

If you mention LA to the outsider with no knowledge they will think of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Lakers, and a ton of other things before they get to black people.

Mention Oakland and I guarantee you blacks will be mentioned in the top two or three by most.

Though I think the AA reputation for both cities is based more on the past than present.
I'm not so sure about that. On the East Coast, I'm not sure that many people really know that much about Oakland. The first thing to come to mind would probably be the Raiders. The second thing would be "California." And I'm thinking about any random non-black New Yorker I see on the street. More educated people might bring up the Panthers. Blacks would obviously bring that up and possibly mention Too $hort, MC Hammer and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. I think Northern California is typically associated with Asians more than anything else so I'm not sure if people would list "black" anything when mentioning either city. I mean, I meet a lot of people who don't think of DC (aka the "Chocolate City") as a "black" city, little less a city with fewer blacks that's 2,500 miles away.

This is just my suspicion. One way to know for sure is to go to the NYC forum and ask, "What are the first three things that come to mind when you think of Oakland?" (keeping in mind that people on C-D are probably more intellectually curious than the typical American). Seeing that I come across people who have never even heard of Howard or even know that it's in Washington, DC, I would not be surprised if many people fail to make the connection between Oakland and black culture.

At any rate, I don't think that's the best way of looking at it. There are a host of things that would come up before "black culture" if you say "NYC" to the average person. They'd probably mention the Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center, Brooklyn Bridge, MTV, Carnegie Hall, etc., etc. and get to black people/hip hop shortly after taxi cabs, pizza, subways and bagels. That said, I don't think too many people would argue that Oakland has a stronger black presence than NYC simply because someone might make the connection between "black" and Oakland before they make the same connection with "black" and NYC.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-21-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,883,927 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
California Black Demographics
LA: 1,230,023 Oakland area: 471,566
Using the percentage logic, that means that Memphis must be more of a Black capital than Atlanta or NYC is. In the real world though, when I think of a Black Californian, I think of Los Angeles.

That's also because Oakland is a considerably smaller city than LA. Draw a 400 square mile area around Oakland and you tell me if the whole area is "black" and it most likely will not be.

I don't know why these is some obsession on City Data on making Northern California as relevant as Southern California when the real world evidence proves that the former is nowhere near as relevant as the latter in any sphere except maybe technology. Is it political correctness?
Sup Hugefoodie215.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 3,986,344 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post

That's also because Oakland is a considerably smaller city than LA. Draw a 400 square mile area around Oakland and you tell me if the whole area is "black" and it most likely will not be.
But we're talking about presence. Don't you think a smaller area has something to do with that?

We're not talking about who has contributed more or anything like that. We're strictly talking presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
1,576 posts, read 2,400,204 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think you have to go with Oakland as far as presence.

If you mention LA to the outsider with no knowledge they will think of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Lakers, and a ton of other things before they get to black people.

Mention Oakland and I guarantee you blacks will be mentioned in the top two or three by most.

Though I think the AA reputation for both cities is based more on the past than present.
Compton's well known by most people outside of California because of rap music. But most people living in Compton now is Hispanic. But Compton was historically a black city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top