U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city on the West Coast has the strongest Black presence
Los Angeles 52 25.87%
Oakland 135 67.16%
Seattle 3 1.49%
Phoenix 3 1.49%
Las Vegas 2 1.00%
Sacramento 1 0.50%
Richmond, CA 1 0.50%
Vallejo 3 1.49%
Riverside 1 0.50%
San Diego 0 0%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Reputation: 11185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
But we're talking about presence. Don't you think a smaller area has something to do with that?
If you just stayed in Oakland and went nowhere else, sure. But there are probably areas of Los Angeles that are as geographically large where you'd see the same number of black people with the same or even greater frequency. Not to mention that Los Angeles has a far greater number of blacks and a higher percentage of blacks on a metro basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,890,651 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I tend to agree with this.

I've never lived in California, but this is what I've observed among people from there or people moving there.

I meet more black people from the LA area (obviously).

People from LA tell me to never move to the Bay because it's lame. People from the Bay generally don't have an opinion about LA one way or the other (not one I've heard anyway).

Black women say the dating scene is extremely difficult in the Bay Area. I've known several who attended Berkeley and Stanford and then moved to DC or NYC for this reason.

Most black people from the East tend to move to LA.

So I'd say it's not just the media, but it's a general perception that there's more going on for blacks in LA based on hearsay, alumni networks, etc.

LA is also a much bigger destination than Oakland for anyone for reasons separate from the racial makeup of the city. Perception also plays a role... People move where they believe there will be more opportunity. No one from outside of California thinks of Oakland as a city with opportunity, least of all black folk.

In reality though as far as the west coast goes Oakland is one of the "old" black cities... Dozens and dozens of black professional networks run through Oakland and have been for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,890,651 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you just stayed in Oakland and went nowhere else, sure. But there are probably areas of Los Angeles that are as geographically large where you'd see the same number of black people with the same or even greater frequency. Not to mention that Los Angeles has a far greater number of blacks and a higher percentage of blacks on a metro basis.
When you compare them by county that's not true: Alameda County (Oakland) is 12.2% black and Los Angeles County is 8.7%. They don't all just live in Oakland and Richmond either... San Leandro, Berkeley, Hayward, etc. all have significant black populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,580 posts, read 53,131,516 times
Reputation: 14502
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think you have to go with Oakland as far as presence.

If you mention LA to the outsider with no knowledge they will think of Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Lakers, and a ton of other things before they get to black people.

Mention Oakland and I guarantee you blacks will be mentioned in the top two or three by most.

Though I think the AA reputation for both cities is based more on the past than present.
Yes, this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Oakland today, is not at all the 'black city' that it used to be. Neither of these cities are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
LA is also a much bigger destination than Oakland for anyone for reasons separate from the racial makeup of the city. Perception also plays a role... People move where they believe there will be more opportunity. No one from outside of California thinks of Oakland as a city with opportunity, least of all black folk.

In reality though as far as the west coast goes Oakland is one of the "old" black cities... Dozens and dozens of black professional networks run through Oakland and have been for decades.
Well, that's indisputable. But as far as black "presence" is concerned, I think LA edges the Bay Area out, and that's supported by statistics as well as anecdotal evidence. You never really hear people cry "There's no black people in LA!" even though it's obviously hyperbole when they make a similar claim about the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,613 posts, read 24,814,812 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
When you compare them by county that's not true: Alameda County (Oakland) is 12.2% black and Los Angeles County is 8.7%. They don't all just live in Oakland and Richmond either... San Leandro, Berkeley, Hayward, etc. all have significant black populations.
Yeah, but L.A. metro has 1.2 million blacks and it's 7 percent black. The Bay Area has 471,000 blacks and it's 6.5 percent black. I don't see any getting around that fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: California
1,191 posts, read 1,232,410 times
Reputation: 1742
The problem here is comparing a city with roughly 400,000 people to a city with roughly 4,000,000 people. That alone will lead to comparisons that just don't make sense. With that said, the black presence in both cities is decreasing as we speak. Culturally speaking, I'd say Oakland had a stronger black presence in the 60's and 70's. However, that shifted to Los Angeles in the 80's and 90's. Now? I doubt many people in others cities associate either city with black culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 3,988,895 times
Reputation: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The problem here is comparing a city with roughly 400,000 people to a city with roughly 4,000,000 people. That alone will lead to comparisons that just don't make sense. With that said, the black presence in both cities is decreasing as we speak. Culturally speaking, I'd say Oakland had a stronger black presence in the 60's and 70's. However, that shifted to Los Angeles in the 80's and 90's. Now? I doubt many people in others cities associate either city with black culture.
I think this post pretty much says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,890,651 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but L.A. metro has 1.2 million blacks and it's 7 percent black. The Bay Area has 471,000 blacks and it's 6.5 percent black. I don't see any getting around that fact.

According to the Census the LA Metro has 895,931 blacks or roughly 900,000. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that the Bay Area has a stronger black presence than LA... on the metro level, it doesn't. The East Bay however does; all of the East Bay counties are more than 7% black. The North Bay that borders the East Bay also has a significant black population; Solano County (Fairfield, Suisun City, Vallejo, etc.) is 14.7% black. All this is to say that blacks are very statistically significant and otherwise on the Oakland side of the Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM
 
Location: The Bay
6,920 posts, read 11,890,651 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The problem here is comparing a city with roughly 400,000 people to a city with roughly 4,000,000 people. That alone will lead to comparisons that just don't make sense. With that said, the black presence in both cities is decreasing as we speak. Culturally speaking, I'd say Oakland had a stronger black presence in the 60's and 70's. However, that shifted to Los Angeles in the 80's and 90's. Now? I doubt many people in others cities associate either city with black culture.
Do you mean cultural impact or black presence? Those aren't the same... Oakland has had a stronger black presence than LA arguably since the 50's and definitely since the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top