Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 02:51 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I mean, if you can prove that Minneapolis is better than Phoenix in those categories through out-right facts (which you have), then that's perfect. But when posters show up and say things like "Phoenix is a suburban wasteland in the middle of nothingness" or "Minneapolis is freezing cold for 8 months a year", it doesn't add much to the discussion (not that you said anything like this, I'm just speaking generally). If Minneapolis was truly an upgrade to Phoenix, then people would be flocking from Phoenix to Minneapolis like crazy. So aside from the criteria posted in the OP (which Minneapolis seems to be better at), there has to areas where Phoenix is better than Minneapolis that is causing people to choose the former.
Good post although, I personally do think Minneapolis is an upgrade to Phoenix and the ONLY reason why people are not flocking to Minneapolis has to do with the cold. However, being somewhat isolated and cold has worked out in Minneapolis' favor. IF Minneapolis had warmer weather, it would be a completely different place and I would have a different view of the area. The same can be said for Seattle -- people would be flocking there if it weren't for its weather and the perceptions attached to it.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-15-2014 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 04:22 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
It would appear that more people choose Phoenix over Minneapolis by looking at the metro population. Also the population growth of Phoenix in the past 10 years is higher than Minneapolis. I haven't been to Phoenix, but I've spent a considerable amount of time in Minneapolis, at least enough to have my own personal opinion.

When I think of Minneapolis I think of a cleaner Cleveland. A city that is popular because there just because Minnesotans needed a central city to meet in. I couldn't ever live there, just because I am so tired of snow and clouds. The most interesting geographical features of Minnesota are the lakes, while Phoenix has a more unique desert with small hikable mountains. You can drive to any Californian cities in under a day or LV, while Minneapolis has Chicago as the only great destination.
Let's dissect this quick.

* "Phoenix is growing faster than Minneapolis"
Yes, definitely and verifiably true. Phoenix is a Sunbelt city that is expanding about as quickly as its infrastructure allows (though not as fast as some of its peers, like Houston, Austin, and Miami, and also not as fast as Northern cities like Seattle, Boise, and Des Moines). However, Minneapolis is still growing very fast too, well above the US average and ahead of metros likes Tampa, Boston, Los Angeles, and Philadelphia.

* "I've spent enough time in Minneapolis to have my own opinion"
Great! I'm glad you're engaging from a position of experience rather than assumption! I confess I don't know a ton about Phoenix, so I'll try to only talk about it when I'm citing hard facts.

* "Minneapolis is a cleaner Cleveland"
I believe that's what you experienced, but I can't quite figure out where it comes from. Minneapolis and Cleveland seem very different to me. I could see a comparison of Cleveland proper with St. Paul proper, but both Minneapolis proper and the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area as a whole are visually/architecturally/aesthetically and also culturally more similar to Western and Northwestern cities like Denver, Seattle, and Portland than to Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit as far as I can tell.

* "Minneapolis is popular because Minnesotans needed a central city"
Well, it definitely is the cultural and economic powerhouse of Minnesota, but it also anchors the entire Upper Midwest region, which I'm using here to define the area comprised of all of Minnesota, the eastern halves of North Dakota and South Dakota, most of Iowa, almost all of Wisconsin, most of Michigan's UP, and bits and pieces of Illinois and Nebraska - you could even argue that the influence of Minneapolis reaches all the way up to parts of Ontario and Manitoba. But even that is not at all the only reason Minneapolis is popular. What about the cultural institutions and history, the national economic weight, the urban vibrancy, and the copious recreational amenities?

* "Minneapolis is too cloudy and snowy"
Fair enough, winter is a real and present season in Minneapolis. However, the Twin Cities are actually much sunnier than most of the Midwest:

Average monthly sunshine hours (Nov-Feb; of the 10 largest MSAs in the Midwest)
1. Kansas City: 164.55
2. St. Louis: 148.35
3. Minneapolis: 141.5
4. Milwaukee: 139.375
5. Indianapolis: 125.875
10. Cleveland: 96.2

For comparison, the Phoenix average is 253.5.
And furthermore, Minneapolis is the #1 sunniest city in the Midwest during the summer:

Average monthly sunshine hours (May-Aug; of the 10 largest MSAs in the Midwest)
1. Minneapolis: 318.175
2. Kansas City: 303.825
3. Milwaukee: 300.1
4. Chicago: 298.675
5. Detroit: 294.55
10. Columbus: 249.725

Of course, this still can't compete with Phoenix (summer average: 378.975), but it is actually considerably higher than many major Sunbelt metros' summer averages, including Dallas (297.45) and Miami (296.75).

As far as snow, Minneapolis does have the snowiest autumn in the Midwest and the second snowiest spring (after Cleveland, tied with Milwaukee), but in terms of the entire snow season (Nov-Apr), it's fairly middle-of-the-pack:

Average monthly snowy days (Nov-Apr; of the 10 largest MSAs in the Midwest)
1. Cleveland: 7.7
2. Detroit: 6.12
3. Milwaukee: 5.82
4. Minneapolis: 5.81
5. Columbus: 4.93
10. Kansas City: 1.4

* "Minneapolis's lakes are its most interest geographical feature"
I would mostly agree, but it seems a bit unfair to leave out the Northwoods, the North Shore, the Boundary Waters, the Iron Range, and especially the Driftless/Mississippi Bluffs if we're talking about geographical features and access to recreation. There aren't mountains in the Upper Midwest like there are in the Southwest, and there isn't a desert, but there's plenty of fantastic hiking, camping, biking, and skiing (cross-country and some downhill) very near Minneapolis. The lake culture in Minnesota is also something that doesn't have an equivalent in Arizona.

* "Phoenix is closer to more"
Can't argue with the benefit of Phoenix's access to LA, San Diego, and Vegas. Phoenix is closer to those cities than Minneapolis is to any other major cities. That said, there is much more between Minneapolis and those cities than there is between Phoenix and its neighbors, basically just because it's tough to build in the desert. It's also worth noting that even if Phoenix is a bit closer to its neighbors, Minneapolis is not THAT much further from Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Omaha, and Kansas City (with the benefit of cities like Duluth, Madison, and Des Moines in a closer ring) - all these cities are easily within a day's drive. All things considered, though, neither city has much to boast about in terms of proximity. They're both quite isolated compared to most other large cities, though arguably not as isolated as Denver or the Pacific Northwest.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:30 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
It is worth noting that a significant portion of Phoenix's growth is due to the fact that it is next to Mexico and until recently the US had a lot of immigration from Mexico, and now there is a large baby boom from recent immigrants. It's growth has more to do with the fact that Phoenix is nicer than rural Mexico, rather than because it is nicer than other American cities.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is worth noting that a significant portion of Phoenix's growth is due to the fact that it is next to Mexico and until recently the US had a lot of immigration from Mexico, and now there is a large baby boom from recent immigrants. It's growth has more to do with the fact that Phoenix is nicer than rural Mexico, rather than because it is nicer than other American cities.
Source? I'm sure that many Mexicans are moving to Phoenix to get out of Mexico, but I doubt that Phoenix is mainly growing because it's nicer than Mexico. There are many Americans moving to the Phoenix MSA, young and old, and it's not because it's nicer than rural Mexico.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Source?
It is not the only component of growth but it is a major one. Cities often grow for multiple reasons. One driver of growth in PHX is the weather, related to that is the movement of retirees. Another is that it is significantly cheaper than California so it gets a lot of transplants from there. But beyond that, it is impossible not to notice that all of the states that border Mexico have had large increases in their Mexican born and Mexican descended populations over the last 30 years. Proximity to the border is a significant source of growth in this country.

From Wikipedia: 20.6% of the population of the city was foreign born in 2010 (this is one of the highest rates in the US among big cities)
Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phoenix Hispanic Population in 1980: 14.1%
Phoenix Hispanic Population in 2010: 29.5%
US2010

I can't believe you are making me prove that Latin American immigration is a major driver of growth in the southwest. You remove it and Phoenix has a much more normal growth rate.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-16-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
People are so misinformed about Phoenix on here. I bet you haven't even stepped one foot into Phoenix.
BTW, the exact same thing can be said about Minneapolis. I think it's safe to state that 98% of this site's members haven't stepped foot in Minneapolis. Actually, I'm willing to bet that those who are misinformed about Minneapolis outweighs those who are misinformed about Phoenix by a very large number.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:46 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
On every thing good and desireable, Minneapolis wins by a long shot. Not even close.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:49 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
BTW, the exact same thing can be said about Minneapolis. I think it's safe to state that 98% of this site's members haven't stepped foot in Minneapolis. Actually, I'm willing to bet that those who are misinformed about Minneapolis outweighs those who are misinformed about Phoenix by a very large number.
Doesn't it snow there 15 months a year?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
thanks for keeping score, here's yours...
  • twice in Feb '13
  • once in March '13
  • once in April '13
  • twice in Sept '13
what was the limits we were restricted to again? I need to add up and inform all the others
" I vote PHX, again" 3/16/14

By the way, my posts were responses and rebuttals. That's not the same big guy.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Neither... Minneapolis is the provincial capital of the upper midwest but can't really compete with East and West Coast cities for cultural relevance or historical importance. Phoenix is home to all of the people who couldn't shuck it when the factories closed in places like Detroit and Cleveland, and are dragging that city down just as they did to the cities up here. If I had to choose between these two cities with someone pointing a gun at my head, I think I'd choose the bullet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City