Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,271,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Well, there are A LOT of metros in between those two. That's why the gap is huge.
Right, but like YIMBY said, they used the top 102 metros, which includes some that probably shouldn't be compared with Minneapolis and Phoenix (though Minneapolis still does well). I mean, Bridgeport, CT? Worcester, MA? New Haven, CT? Provo, UT? Poughkeepsie, NY? Come on. These places don't even break 1 million in metro population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 3,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Right, but like YIMBY said, they used the top 102 metros, which includes some that probably shouldn't be compared with Minneapolis and Phoenix (though Minneapolis still does well). I mean, Bridgeport, CT? Worcester, MA? New Haven, CT? Provo, UT? Poughkeepsie, NY? Come on. These places don't even break 1 million in metro population.
I really don't think this is an incredibly important statistic, but it gets no better for Phoenix if you look at the top twenty-five metro areas by population. Minneapolis is at no. 4--this puts Minneapolis in the first quintile. Phoenix comes in at no. 20--just missing the bottom quintile.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:01 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,271,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I really don't think this is an incredibly important statistic, but it gets no better for Phoenix if you look at the top twenty-five metro areas by population. Minneapolis is at no. 4--this puts Minneapolis in the first quintile. Phoenix comes in at no. 20--just missing the bottom quintile.
Yes, Minneapolis is definitely the city with the higher percentage of degrees. But personally, I think using the top 25 metros makes Phoenix look better. I mean, instead of 9 vs 72, you have 4 vs 20. And I agree that this statistic isn't very important. I think a better statistic would be the number of jobs requiring a certain level of education/the prominent job sectors in the metro (again, an area that Minneapolis would probably lead).

Old 03-24-2014, 02:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,127,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I do! It appears that 43 more people moved to Phoenix from Minneapolis(the county is is located in anyway) than moved Minneapolis from Phoenix. Then on top of that 91 more people moved from St.Paul('s county) to Phoenix than moved to St. Paul from Phoenix.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

This map tells you a lot about this conversation.
Those 134 people represent the opinions of everybody? Dang!

Old 03-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I'm sorry, but I doubt you will find a single Yooper who would agree that Minneapolis means jack to them, culturally or economically. You don't even see people from MN up there. Minneapolis is about as far from the Canadian Shield as it is from the Driftless, and the culture/identity there is more strongly reliant upon "up north" (lakes/woods/cabins) than it is "bluff country" (as you MNs put it - farms/prairies/bluffs). The Driftless Region does not = bluffs. There are bluffs on rivers throughout the Midwest and Plains in otherwise flat territory. The Driftless Region = the "island" of land where the glaciers missed. If there are a bunch of natural lakes - it is not part of the Driftless.
According to most maps that define the area, the Driftless Region starts around Hastings, MN just like I said (Hastings is a suburb). The Twin Cities are about as far from it as Madision is, if that helps.

http://www.driftlessareainitiative.o...a_Overview.jpg

Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Yes, Minneapolis is definitely the city with the higher percentage of degrees. But personally, I think using the top 25 metros makes Phoenix look better. I mean, instead of 9 vs 72, you have 4 vs 20. And I agree that this statistic isn't very important. I think a better statistic would be the number of jobs requiring a certain level of education/the prominent job sectors in the metro (again, an area that Minneapolis would probably lead).
72/102 = 70.6% of the country is smarter
20/25 = 80% of the country is smarter

If I were a Phoenician I would prefer the former ranking to the latter.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 PM

300 posts, read 438,263 times
I wouldn't care about the rankings at all. It's not like the entire city is full of idiots. You'll still have a large pool of people with the same education level as yourself if you move there.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I wouldn't care about the rankings at all. It's not like the entire city is full of idiots. You'll still have a large pool of people with the same education level as yourself if you move there.
You take the fun out of everything!

Jk.....that's true, it's not like we're talking about one city where your average resident works for NASA, while the other city's residents work at the mine. By and large there is plenty of brainpower to go around in both places.

However, having lived in a multitude of places I definitely prefer smarter cities in general.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,420,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
According to most maps that define the area, the Driftless Region starts around Hastings, MN just like I said (Hastings is a suburb). The Twin Cities are about as far from it as Madision is, if that helps.

http://www.driftlessareainitiative.o...a_Overview.jpg
I live in the Driftless and I think most people here would say the northern limit is south of the Twin Cities and the eastern limit is immediately west of Madison. I'd say Madison is a little closer - for sure it's closer to the big impressive parts of the Driftless - but MSP has easy access no question. However I would also definitely say that the Twin Cities is the far more important cultural influence, at least in my part of the Driftless. It's not accurate to say that MSP is any more lake country/northwoods-oriented than bluff country-oriented. It's both and more. Duluth is the North Shore city, Rochester is the Driftless city, and Minneapolis is the happy medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City