Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
It has been a few years since I've been to Phoenix, but I still prefer Minneapolis' architecture. Unfortunately, some of Minneapolis' great architecture was lost in urban renewal.

As to who has a brighter future: it depends who has the water.
We're running out!!!!!! Should I start freaking out???????!!!!!!!!!

Guess you know all about water issues in Arizona?

As far as the vs. aspect of this thread, it boils down to what you're used to. I'm sure Minneapolis is a nice place, however I was born and raised in Phoenix so it is "normal" to me and a place I consider beautiful. I've been to similar climates as Minneapolis (MA, NH, NY) and found trees everywhere to make me feel claustrophobic.

Dense urbanity depressed me. Sidewalks so full of people you have to maneuver through them constantly annoys the crap out of me. I don't like tall buildings all around me all the time, I like to be able to see the sky and the mountains.

Cultural sites like museums, theaters, etc. are found in both places and are something the majority of both places visits rarely. Education is what you put into it no matter where you are, school rankings are useless.

I won't bother trying to counter the OP's criteria because I don't care about which city "wins" in any category, but having read all the posts it seems this thread isn't only just one long cheerleading session for Minneapolis but another verse of the same old anti-Sunbelt city song.

Last edited by cacto; 02-27-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 94,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
We're running out!!!!!! Should I start freaking out???????!!!!!!!!!

Guess you know all about water issues in Arizona?

As far as the vs. aspect of this thread, it boils down to what you're used to. I'm sure Minneapolis is a nice place, however I was born and raised in Phoenix so it is "normal" to me and a place I consider beautiful. I've been to similar climates as Minneapolis (MA, NH, NY) and found trees everywhere to make me feel claustrophobic.

Dense urbanity depressed me. Sidewalks so full of people you have to maneuver through them constantly annoys the crap out of me. I don't like tall buildings all around me all the time, I like to be able to see the sky and the mountains.

Cultural sites like museums, theaters, etc. are found in both places and are something the majority of both places visits rarely. Education is what you put into it no matter where you are, school rankings are useless.

I won't bother trying to counter the OP's criteria because I don't care about which city "wins" in any category, but having read all the posts it seems this thread isn't only just one long cheerleading session for Minneapolis but another verse of the same old anti-Sunbelt city song.
Those are all opinions.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 PM

171 posts, read 325,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbean23 View Post
Those are all opinions.
Umm...practically everyone's posts on CD are made up of opinions.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbean23 View Post
Those are all opinions.
Ya think?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,365 times
I'll give my 2 cents on the 2 cities. Coming from a Minneapolis resident I'd say I much prefer the the Phoenix climate and scenery. Some people like the lakes and woods for scenery, me being one of them, but as far as overall city scenery I'd have to go with Phoenix. For me, I have to drive to the lakes and woods, in Phoenix, the scenery is for the most part right there. I also say climate goes to Phoenix not only because I prefer heat over cold, but I believe the sun just makes everything better. The mood is better with the sun out. In Minneapolis, it is sometimes a week or 2 between truly sunny days. Education I would go with Minneapolis but not by as much as some posters say. Yes, they have a lot of different Universities, but I personally think many private Universities are overrated and to me it's not that impressive that they have 8 compared to if they just had 1. Downtowns I would definitely give to Minneapolis. Phoenix downtown is improving but is just not quite at the same level. Minneapolis has a great downtown and is a great time after sporting events.
Bonus category I say that Phoenix just has more things to do. For a weekend you could easily go to the Mountains in Flagstaff, Ocean in LA or San Diego, or go to Vegas. Both have nice sports stadiums but I give the edge to Phoenix due to these sports stadiums host Super Bowls, bowl games, and golf tourneys.
Please remember that this is all my personal opinion but feel free to argue it.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Phoenix should beat out MSP with a larger city and metro population, but the city and state as a whole just embrace a more banal culture: ugly (low quality cookie-cutter homes & strip-malls galore), cheap (crappy housing stock and strip-malls don't cost much), and lazy (god forbid anyone want to walk a block or two to get to a store/restaurant/bar/etc).

It's no wonder that the arts scene trumps Phoenix when you have a great urban culture. The lakes culture and social aspect of it in Mpls proper in particular I wouldn't trade for some tall rocks as a mere background. Climate-wise spring and fall are my favorites and winter isn't so bad as long as you dress for it especially when it's at its worst January into February: more people probably bike in the teens over here than when it's 70 in Phoenix. For education MSP clearly comes out on top just based on how people here live day-to-day. Downtown Mpls wins hands down: blocks and blocks of intact (especially by Phoenix standards) urbanism of full of destinations. And then when it comes to neighborhoods it's even more of a blowout: Phoenix's best urban neighborhoods have nothing on us. Could have, but didn't.

For transit there are several high-frequency bus lines all over Mpls and to a lesser degree St Paulwhere it's a maximum 10 minute wait (although not always consistent, especially the #10 at rush hour). The Mpls-St Paul LRT is going to be complete by the end of the year and operational the next with a third line that got funding and a fourth set to be started soon after. Then there's the awesome Nice Ride bike share in both cities which is absolutely huge with visitors, especially Phoenicians who wish their city was as much fun in one year as it is in a few days visit here.

Sports stadiums? That's a once-in-a-while type of thing and both cities have them, but if you're in Phoenix even having the best in the country wouldn't change the fact that you're having to exist in Phoenix and not live in MSP. Yes, I'm pretty much slamming Phoenix, but clearly by their actions they are striving to be the #1 anti-city in the nation and is competing with Houston and Jacksonville to see who can be the worst, err..."best".

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyR9 View Post
Education I would go with Minneapolis but not by as much as some posters say. Yes, they have a lot of different Universities, but I personally think many private Universities are overrated and to me it's not that impressive that they have 8 compared to if they just had 1.
Again, the education topic does NOT only include colleges and universities; it also includes K-12 and the Minneapolis area wins easily. It's a fact.

Quote:
Both have nice sports stadiums but I give the edge to Phoenix due to these sports stadiums host Super Bowls, bowl games, and golf tourneys.
Phoenix has hosted the Super Bowl 3 times. Minneapolis has hosted 1 and will be hosting another one once the new Vikings Stadium is complete. That said, the Super Bowl topic is pointless.

As far as bowl games, most aren't worth watching. Serious question - When was the last time Phoenix hosted a college bowl game worth watching?

Golf tourneys: golf tournaments are not held in stadiums. Anyway, the Minneapolis area has hosted plenty of major golf tournaments too.

You're from Minneapolis, right?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post

Great post.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:03 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Except the poster conflates "dense urbanity" with tall buildings everywhere and jam-packed sidewalks. Silly Phoenicians don't realize that you can have dense urbanity with neighborhoods full of nothing taller than three-story buildings and little business districts here and there: you can see the sky, sidewalks are easy to navigate (I had to walk past a guy walking his dog from the bike shop to the coffee shop and I still don't know how we made it past each other unscathed) but mountains, well if you're in Denver sure. Here you'll be able to at least see the sky and the tall buildings are off in the distance, which makes for a spectacular sunset/sunrise. Too bad Phoenix also vastly under-performs in the skyline aspect too.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
I'll give my 2 cents on the 2 cities. Coming from a Minneapolis resident I'd say I much prefer the the Phoenix climate and scenery. Some people like the lakes and woods for scenery, me being one of them, but as far as overall city scenery I'd have to go with Phoenix. For me, I have to drive to the lakes and woods, in Phoenix, the scenery is for the most part right there. I also say climate goes to Phoenix not only because I prefer heat over cold, but I believe the sun just makes everything better. The mood is better with the sun out. In Minneapolis, it is sometimes a week or 2 between truly sunny days. Education I would go with Minneapolis but not by as much as some posters say. Yes, they have a lot of different Universities, but I personally think many private Universities are overrated and to me it's not that impressive that they have 8 compared to if they just had 1. Downtowns I would definitely give to Minneapolis. Phoenix downtown is improving but is just not quite at the same level. Minneapolis has a great downtown and is a great time after sporting events.
Bonus category I say that Phoenix just has more things to do. For a weekend you could easily go to the Mountains in Flagstaff, Ocean in LA or San Diego, or go to Vegas. Both have nice sports stadiums but I give the edge to Phoenix due to these sports stadiums host Super Bowls, bowl games, and golf tourneys.
Please remember that this is all my personal opinion but feel free to argue it.
LA and the ocean is 5 or 6 hours away, which is about as far as Chicago (if we're calling that a weekend trip).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City