Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite City in the South
Houston 21 15.11%
Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex 18 12.95%
Austin 19 13.67%
San Antonio 7 5.04%
New Orleans 54 38.85%
Little Rock 1 0.72%
Jackson 2 1.44%
Birmingham 4 2.88%
Nashville 30 21.58%
Memphis 8 5.76%
Atlanta 45 32.37%
Miami 42 30.22%
Tampa St Petersburg 18 12.95%
Orlando 6 4.32%
Jacksonville 1 0.72%
Greenville Spartanburg 2 1.44%
Charlotte 7 5.04%
Raleigh Durham 12 8.63%
Greensboro Winston-Salem 3 2.16%
Richmond 8 5.76%
Norfolk 2 1.44%
Other 10 7.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times

Advertisements

As a native Texan, looking over this list of choices made me understand for the first time how little I like the South. It would be difficult for me to relocate to any of these places. Maybe Houston or Austin, if I'm picking a dog in this fight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
No less than Atlanta, the "Capital of the South" does. Some people (I don't think you have any basis for saying most) don't think of Texas as the south, due to their lack of knowledge about the state. That's all.

Hell, this state is so huge, a lot of native Texans don't even know Houston or Dallas that well, so I can't be surprised that people from out of state wouldn't know what they're talking about.

If only everyone could be the observant, erudite individual that I am.
Well, no, Nairobi, I said many don't recognize the souherness of Texas but not most. Most probably do but many don't. These that don't probably consider it a western state for some reason. Personally I don't know anyone in Louisiana who said such.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:02 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
As a native Texan, looking over this list of choices made me understand for the first time how little I like the South. It would be difficult for me to relocate to any of these places. Maybe Houston or Austin, if I'm picking a dog in this fight?
Well, everything isn't for everyone. We all have our own idea of utopia.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You can say downtown is dead. But to say the city was dead shows me that you didn't get around or didnt know where to go. You're not going to be bored or have nothing to find in a metro of 6 million people.
I never said I was bored. I said, I thought it was pretty dead for a city of it's size. When I go to big cities, generally, I'm going to be within a 3-5 mile radius of downtown most of the time...you don't go to big cities to visit it's suburbs unless you're visiting family or specifically going to a venue. As a tourist, downtown is one of the first places I would think to go. Downtowns/CBDs are generally where a lot of the action should be happening. In Atlanta, that's mainly the case(Downtown/Midtown).

Old 03-10-2013, 01:10 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You do have a point. In a nation with a culture that's educated by the television, it's definitely understandable. We'll have to simply keep vying for more reality shows and such.

So, yes, it is our fault. What was I thinking by suggesting that Americans should be more proactive in learning about their own country? The nerve of me.
You can't expect people to be proactive...you have to spoonfeed people. That has always been the case. People either don't want to put in the effort or time to learn about cities so you have to market your city as such.

If Atlanta and Miami can market themselves as exciting southern metropolises, then certainly Dallas and Houston should be able too, even if that means getting Reality shows or other things that show off the city.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:11 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Well, no, Nairobi, I said many don't recognize the souherness of Texas but not most. Most probably do but many don't. These that don't probably consider it a western state for some reason. Personally I don't know anyone in Louisiana who said such.
Because of a legacy of stereotypes being fan from westerns. Texas is a huge state, West Texas is nothing like North, East and Texas gulf which are cultural southern.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...es/usaregb.gif

Ever notice the Texas population is adjusted to the rest of the south or eastern half the state. Most Texans generally identify as southerns there's cultural reasons for this.

http://education.randmcnally.com/ima...Population.png

DFW, Houston and East Texas is straight up the South.

San Antonio, and Austin, are culturally hybrids

West Texas is straight up western.

I remember in my Texas history class we had to do a project and divide Texas up into 5 states. Base on the history that Texas was given the option to divide up obvious it never happen. But it's sort of how Texas is culturally is regionally.

Texas divisionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...t/Texasin5.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Very nice graphics, Chiatldal. Yes I live about 15 miles from the Texas border. Much of it is deep southern til you get to DFW which is still southern but NEW SOUTH. Beyond that, still southern, but then once you get to Pecos things get more southwestern then finally total transformation in El Paso. Oh yeah, I've seen many westerns depicting Texas with cactuses and the like. Matter of fact, in two short weeks we are driving to Tucson for a family visit. 1100 mile drive from here with 800 some odd just to El Paso alone.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You can't expect people to be proactive...you have to spoonfeed people. That has always been the case. People either don't want to put in the effort or time to learn about cities so you have to market your city as such.

If Atlanta and Miami can market themselves as exciting southern metropolises, then certainly Dallas and Houston should be able too, even if that means getting Reality shows or other things that show off the city.
You honestly don't think Dallas or Houston promote themselves well?

Last edited by JJG; 03-10-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 05:46 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Because of a legacy of stereotypes being fan from westerns. Texas is a huge state, West Texas is nothing like North, East and Texas gulf which are cultural southern.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...es/usaregb.gif

Ever notice the Texas population is adjusted to the rest of the south or eastern half the state. Most Texans generally identify as southerns there's cultural reasons for this.

http://education.randmcnally.com/ima...Population.png

DFW, Houston and East Texas is straight up the South.

San Antonio, and Austin, are culturally hybrids

West Texas is straight up western.

I remember in my Texas history class we had to do a project and divide Texas up into 5 states. Base on the history that Texas was given the option to divide up obvious it never happen. But it's sort of how Texas is culturally is regionally.

Texas divisionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57...t/Texasin5.jpg
Good post bro. I'm always interested to see the breakdowns of Texas by region. My only change is that DFW belongs with the Great Plains of North and West Central Texas while the Tyler/Longview area belongs with the state that encompasses Houston and Beaumont.

I do think DFW is a hybrid as well between Great Plains, Western, and Southern whereas Houston is more Southern. There are parts of DFW that seem like they have elements of the lower Midwest too.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You honestly don't think Dallas or Houston promotes itself well?
I don't think Houston promotes itself well, but I don't think that's an excuse for people being ignorant about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City