Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Oklahoma City 12 21.82%
Kansas City 43 78.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I have, unfortunately, been to Oklahoma City many times. It is easily the most boring "big" city I have ever visited (unless you count Wichita). I dislike everything about it except for the surprisingly good Tex-Mex. The few areas attempting to be urban (Bricktown, Paseo) are embarrassingly small for a city of this size. Kansas City is infinitely more interesting.
I agree with this completely. I am unfortunately stuck living in OKC and I can't think of much that I like about it. In fact I am totally miserable living here but I am stuck. I really miss living in a real city. Even Tulsa is nicer and offers more than OKC does (though I personally don't really like it much either). Somebody mentioned Charlotte as punching below its weight but it's a vibrant, bustling metropolis compared to Oklahoma City. The thing is, OKC should be so much better than it is given its size.

I would say Wichita and Little Rock are good comparisons to Oklahoma City. Heck, I might even say Amarillo and Lubbock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 02:32 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
I'm happily stuck in OKC. I like Tulsa's topography better but it really doesn't offer more. To say Wichita, Amarillo, and Lubbock are good comparisons to OKC is absurd.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:02 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Havey View Post
Downtown Charlotte is grossly modern considering how old the actual city is itself, worst part though is that none of it's neighbor hoods feel urban at all nor do they have anything particularly interesting to offer in terms of architecture or density, Charlotte is incredibly weak for a city of over 800,000 people. It's up there with Jacksonville, Florida as some of the most disappointing cities in correlation to their population. You have some balls to attempt to downplay Kansas City. You are right though, they have nothing in common with each other, Kansas City shouldn't be compared to anything in the cultureless sunbelt, it destroys any competition.
As far as KC being more gritty. More urban. If that's your thing, then Yeah. I get it. I am begining to learn about how views will be unsurprisingly biased, when posting on a forum where the majority of the posters are hardcore, old style traditional urbanist. Other than that, athough KC is a nice place, but in the real vs cyber world, I, nor many others, would not by any means choose KC over Charlotte, or KC even over several other Sunbelt cities which you disparage. I am a recent transplant from the great Northeast. But I love the Southeast and all the amenities it offers: its culture and the outstanding natural beauty this region has. And I also enjoy what some of you label as too clean, too new, or too sterile. Its beautiful!

Last edited by Timothy123; 11-28-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
KC for me, but damn, there are awesome and very nice areas of OKC as well. But yes, two completely different cities that are in different leagues.
OKC is not as bad as some of them are saying. I visited a couple of years ago and ennjoyed my weeekend there. I found myself liking OKC better than Tulsa.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
OKC is not as bad as some of them are saying. I visited a couple of years ago and ennjoyed my weeekend there. I found myself liking OKC better than Tulsa.
It's really not. I mean it's not really my kind of city and I don't think is compares well to KC, but they have actually done a lot to improve the city. Tulsa has nicer topography, but OKC seems to have more to offer and has a more vibrant downtown.

You have to give OKC credit for doing everything they can. The topography is pretty depressing, the weather is flat out insane at times, it's probably the most conservative large city in the country and yet they have been able to build a super tall skyscraper, they have plenty of other downtown development, they lured an NBA team that is wildly popular there, they have built up some nice recreational trails along the river and they built the riverwalk and are now building a pretty large streetcar starter line.

And OKC is a fun place to visit for a few days. All I'm saying is that it's a very different city than KC and on a much lower tier than KC.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:36 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this completely. I am unfortunately stuck living in OKC and I can't think of much that I like about it. In fact I am totally miserable living here but I am stuck. I really miss living in a real city. Even Tulsa is nicer and offers more than OKC does (though I personally don't really like it much either). Somebody mentioned Charlotte as punching below its weight but it's a vibrant, bustling metropolis compared to Oklahoma City. The thing is, OKC should be so much better than it is given its size.

I would say Wichita and Little Rock are good comparisons to Oklahoma City. Heck, I might even say Amarillo and Lubbock.
If it's so bad, then I don't understand what forces you to stay in OKC. There must be some way out of it. Since you like Kansas City much more than you do OKC and Kansas City is the closest larger city (aside from the DFW Metroplex), then you should start doing job hunts in Kansas City. You can probably line up a sick day or vacation day from your current job to drive out to Kansas City for interviews. It's like a 5 hour drive or an overnight bus. You've got an internet connection, and it looks like you form very coherent and readable sentences in English. Start looking up how to apply for jobs, for job openings in Kansas City and then applying for them. You totally understand how much tighter your life will be once you get to KCMO, now you must put in the ground work and reach that tightness. Have you seen kcmo (the user)'s pictures of KCMO (the city)? They are awesome.

GET PUMPED, DAWG! THEY HAVE A STREETCAR AND BIKESHARE!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-29-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City