Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 PM

7,059 posts, read 12,287,510 times

Advertisements

As if the folks responding to this thread have actually gone out-on-the-town in every US city. In my travel experience, I'd have to say that Des Moines, Columbia SC, Memphis, and Columbus Ohio were pleasant surprises. Nashville was nice, but I honestly was expecting better. Charleston WV and Huntington WV don't have alot of clubs, but the girls are down-to-Earth which more than makes up for the fewer options.

For the record, I tend to judge nightlife on the ability of a guy to get a dance with a pretty lady or maybe even "a little more". For this, bigger cities usually aren't very good choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,808,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
For the record, I tend to judge nightlife on the ability of a guy to get a dance with a pretty lady or maybe even "a little more". For this, bigger cities usually aren't very good choices.
It depends on where you go in a big city for this. If you're hanging out at fancy clubs, then of course you're going to mainly run into pretty women who want a Brad Pitt type (you know what I mean). Outside of that, no. Not everyone has that high of standards.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 PM

287 posts, read 339,138 times
Philadelphia has the best club scene. New York and Chicago have the worst.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,618,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
New Orleans and Vegas definitely punch well over their weight for nightlife. Austin and Nashville also do well for cities under 2 million.

For a much smaller place with lots going on, I'd say Key West and Charleston, SC.
Charleston's nightlife is cool, but Savannah is a little smaller and does even better in that department.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

644 posts, read 1,426,034 times
Yes Savannah's nightlife surprised me......Nashville's nightlife is AWESOME!!! But I would have to say Charlotte has the worst nightlife of any city that size. If you aren't into bars then your choice of clubs is VERY slim. And I was just in JAX and I must say the nightlife there starts out a little earlier and then dies down around 11 or midnight.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM

7,059 posts, read 12,287,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It depends on where you go in a big city for this. If you're hanging out at fancy clubs, then of course you're going to mainly run into pretty women who want a Brad Pitt type (you know what I mean). Outside of that, no. Not everyone has that high of standards.
And how do you know I'm not the Brad Pitt type (just kidding).

Seriously though, the larger cities are way overrated when it comes to their hook-up scenes (which is probably why big cities are full of singles). From what I've seen, it's not about looks and "standards". I've seen bombshells in small town clubs hook-up with obese guys who didn't even own a car. However, I've seen obese women in larger cities turn their noses up at rather decent looking guys. It's weird. Then you have the big city phenomenon of the jealous-hatin' girlfriend who pulls her down-to-Earth girlfriend away from any and every man that she chooses to dance with.

I'm married now, so really it doesn't matter to me. However, during my single days I learned quickly that smaller towns were the path of least resistence when it came to fun nights. The big cities tend to market themselves as great places to visit and party. However, one must go to the metros of less than 500k (or a small suburb) to find a decent hook-up scene. There are exceptions to this rule, but it seems as though many big cities are full of people (mainly women) who simply aren't interested in meeting people. Big city people are more career-minded; small town folks are more people-minded. Which group would you rather party with?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,618,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
But I would have to say Charlotte has the worst nightlife of any city that size. If you aren't into bars then your choice of clubs is VERY slim.
I had my picks of clubs when I was in Charlotte and enjoyed it, but every city isn't a club-type city and that's not the only way to gauge nightlife. For instance, DC isn't that big of a club city, but they excel when it comes to bars and lounges.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,592,603 times
Quote:
Seriously though, the larger cities are way overrated when it comes to their hook-up scenes
completely disagree. i can be charlie sheening it up within a few hours in large cities like LA and miami. don't get me wrong, LA is no medellin, but its a million times better than smalltown USA. more nightlife options are available in large cities. in small towns you're limited to what? redneck beer, crappy white ppl music, and limited selection? not my idea of fun.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,278,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Have you even been to Indianapolis?
Dont even think i should offer a response until that question is answered.
I stayed at the Holiday Inn by the stadium for one night as a stopover towards the end of a roadtrip, but admittedly did not get to see a ton of the City. I didn't see much nightlife in the part of the City I went through (came in pretty late, though) and we heard from some others at the hotel that nightlife was pretty sleepy in general. That was what I was basing my response on - for a city of nearly 800K, it just didn't seem like there was that much nightlife.

That said, I could be completely wrong. I did not explore the City and could very well have missed the areas where the action is.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,808,257 times
Quote:
And how do you know I'm not the Brad Pitt type (just kidding).

Seriously though, the larger cities are way overrated when it comes to their hook-up scenes (which is probably why big cities are full of singles). From what I've seen, it's not about looks and "standards". I've seen bombshells in small town clubs hook-up with obese guys who didn't even own a car. However, I've seen obese women in larger cities turn their noses up at rather decent looking guys. It's weird. Then you have the big city phenomenon of the jealous-hatin' girlfriend who pulls her down-to-Earth girlfriend away from any and every man that she chooses to dance with.

I'm married now, so really it doesn't matter to me. However, during my single days I learned quickly that smaller towns were the path of least resistence when it came to fun nights. The big cities tend to market themselves as great places to visit and party. However, one must go to the metros of less than 500k (or a small suburb) to find a decent hook-up scene. There are exceptions to this rule, but it seems as though many big cities are full of people (mainly women) who simply aren't interested in meeting people. Big city people are more career-minded; small town folks are more people-minded. Which group would you rather party with?
Alright, I am going to be a little blunt for a minute, so I'm sorry in advance. I have lived in a variety of cities - big (current) and small. I will say that you are probably not as experienced with this stuff as you think. As someone who has lived in many different environments and experienced nightlife as a local in these places...I can say that. I have seen every classification of "standards" in both big and small cities. I have seen people completely full of themselves at bars in the city my alma mater is in, in IOWA. I have seen it in many small cities, and I have seen it in big cities. I have also seen the complete opposite of that. Most people in reality in big cities on average (no, not everyone) is down to earth. There are exceptions, but on average it's an exception, not a rule.

It's a big common misconception I see. I live in Chicago right now and I happen to live "downtown" where a lot of tourists come and stay. I also happen to live near some big nightlife areas. This is the common misconception I see. Tourists come to town and they party, hang out, and eat down here and think the entire city is like that. To them, they think the whole city is just full of stuff like it and nothing is further from the truth. They are only led to believe what they've experienced, which is just a very small part of the overall picture.

Sorry, but just because you have experienced the nightlife in one city in just one area, especially a big city such as NYC, LA, or Chicago, does not mean that you are an expert on the people or night life in those cities. There are so many areas of nightlife, all kind of different from one another, that it takes many visits to actually learn all about it. I have experienced LA nightlife but I am in no way an actual expert on the breadth and depth of it, nor would I claim to be right now.

As far as places go - what you see is what you get. For example, if I'm going to a place with a $20 cover, $12+ drinks, that features a "Ford Models" night every month, nice couches, and dbag bouncers, then I can say with almost absolute certainty that you're going to find gold digging women in there looking for a movie star quality guy to go home with. However, if you go to a bar that plays live world jazz music and is chill, I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that the women there are of a different quality and like different things and their standards aren't anywhere near as unrealistic as the previous.

IN reality, even though I've "played that game" before with the first type of establishment I mentioned, I can't stand that stuff. Is it hard for me to find the opposite, and more of the chill place with cool people? NO, not even close to hard. In fact, that's the norm here. Most people don't care what your status is in life - only a small percentage do. If you try and really brag about yourself, then most people will utterly give you **** for it. Most people are affable and are just more concerned with making good conversation. This of course is once you get away from the bars and clubs where every guy and girl is on "the hunt."

However, in the end we're talking about hooking up here and NOT about finding a romantic partner. When you meet someone at a bar, chances are that 98% of people will not form an emotional attachment to them within 30 minutes of talking. It just doesn't happen with most people. However, since they are just hooking up - casual sex, they want to be physically attracted to that person. If I gave you some "OK" girl you weren't attracted to, would you just have sex with her just because? So what makes it not okay for a girl to not want to have sex with just an "OK" guy? People have standards and just because a girl won't hook up with a guy who's just OK doesn't mean she has ridiculously high standards.

Perhaps most guys don't realize that women can tell when you're trying too hard and awkward. They work off of "vibe"/feel more than just how you look. When I go out with my friends, I don't desperately try and hook up with women and force **** at every turn. If it happens then it happens, but my MO is to have a good time. If I meet someone in the process then it's a plus. Perhaps that is how I have been able to date three models in my life. On the contrary, I have had guy friends, like one who looked like Nick Lachey, who couldn't buy **** because he tried too hard instead of being natural. It goes a hell of a lot further than people think.

I also would never, ever rate nightlife by the propensity of hookups. I guess if your MO in life is to screw as many people as possible, then I guess you could. For many people though, nightlife is about the variety and how much fun they can have. Sure part of that might be hookups, but in no way is that THE main point of nightlife. I think we have completely different views of what the point of nightlife is indeed.

Anyway, this notion of people in big cities are all married to their careers, aren't people persons, have ridiculously high standards, etc is just completely false. Sure there are people like that, but on average there's nothing further from the truth. Spend a week with me in Chicago and it'll completely change your outlook on large cities and nightlife.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-21-2013 at 01:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City