Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,076,371 times

Advertisements

Both Denver and Portland add more 25-34 year old migrants to their metros than Charlotte, San Antonio and Pittsburgh combined.

PDXers are not the most reproductive people. The 25-34 growth should help them pass Pittsburgh but the large difference in metro birth rates will cause them to stay behind Charlotte and eventually be passed by San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:11 PM

2,433 posts, read 3,309,727 times
Pittsburgh......by far the coolest, most historic......boomeranging burg.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:03 PM

489 posts, read 905,569 times
[quote=imaterry78259;30579545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
With San Antonio not to far behind Portland, and Charlotte one would not notice a difference in terms of metro population.[/QU

Charlottte really is an average city with a nice downtown with limited culture. Its metro sits in a desert where every country town within a 100 mile radius is part of its metro area.. The real superstar in that area is Asheville and maybe Greenville, SC

That statement is extremely uninformed...

Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I am a little biased since I moved to Denver, but the size of Denver's metro is kind of misleading. Boulder and its neighbors are undoubtedly closely linked to Denver, but for some reason the powers that be insist on keeping Boulder its own MSA and it holds Denver's population down by almost a million people and hurts its diversity and education levels as well. In some MSA surveys I see Denver as 16th and I believe that is when they count Boulder as well. At 16th its just behind Seattle, a city I see as very comparable in most of these categories.

If just considering the cities picked here Denver will win many categories because the other cities are somewhat overshadowed by bigger cities 3-4 hours away.
The difference between Denver's MSA and CSA is Boulder and Weld Counties. Boulder County has a population of about 300,000 and Weld County has about 275,000. Together they push Denver's CSA to around 3.2 million or so. I agree that it makes no sense that Boulder is not included in Denver's MSA. Weld makes sense because it's links to Denver are much less pronounced than are Boulder Counties. But Boulder is very much a part of the Denver MSA.

Of course, the difference between an MSA and CSA is really subjective. An official definition does not change anything. But if it were mine to define I would include Boulder in the MSA and Weld would remain part of the CSA.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:26 AM

2,631 posts, read 6,986,198 times
I can see how Pittsburgh would win in skyline...but everything else in Pittsburgh is garbage. That city absolutely blows.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Yes it blows away most cities in terms of topography history charm and uniqueness.

And maybe one reason folks like Veyron don't like Pittsburgh, apparently it is the most intelligent, stay away, far away from Pittsburgh, you'd definitely not fit in.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Be...ty-in-America/

Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 6,986,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Yes it blows away most cities in terms of topography history charm and uniqueness.

And maybe one reason folks like Veyron don't like Pittsburgh, apparently it is the most intelligent, stay away, far away from Pittsburgh, you'd definitely not fit in.

Pittsburgh Ranked Smartest City in America - The 412 - June 2013
For an intelligent citizen of an intelligent city of pittsburgh this has got to be the dumbest post I have ever read.

Why are the surrounding areas around Pittsburgh economically depressed?

You have garbage, you have stool and then you have pittsburgh.

You have no culture, no diversity, no resturaunts, the shopping stores are stale, the food is bad, and you have no nightlife. You have a pretty skyline but thats it. The skyline fools you because when you actually get inside the city you expect to see alot of action and fun going on. Nope, nothing, non existent.

The people of pittsburgh lmao...It just a giant nursery home. The land is desolate.

How many bars do you have again? Face it that place is a dump just like your post.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,074,475 times
Exactly, if Pittsburgh was so great, it wouldn't have a .23% growth rate LOL.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
For an intelligent citizen of an intelligent city of pittsburgh this has got to be the dumbest post I have ever read.

You have no culture, no diversity, no resturaunts, the shopping stores are stale, the food is bad, and you have no nightlife. You have a pretty skyline but thats it. The skyline fools you because when you actually get inside the city you expect to see alot of action and fun going on. Nope, nothing, non existent.

The people of pittsburgh lmao...It just a giant nursery home. The land is desolate.

How many bars do you have again? Face it that place is a dump just like your post.

You are obviously stuck in the past...

"Pittsburgh is attracting talented young workers and could be poised to become one of the nation’s most youthful cities"

"In fact, the region’s population of 20- to 34-year-olds grew by 7 percent over the past five years, and the economic forecasting model used by UCSUR researchers predicts it will grow another 8 percent by 2020. And last year, 3,740 more people moved into the region than moved out, continuing a trend that began in 2009. While gaining 3,740 people might seem a meager accomplishment, it’s a stunning reversal of the region’s fortunes considering the 50,000 net loss endured in 1984 at the peak of the out-migration nightmare. "

The young people myth | Regional Indicators | BUSINESS

Study finds youth moving to Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Business Times

one of the first cities to emerge from recession

Pittsburgh one of three cities fully recovered from recession, study says | TribLIVE

one of the 10 fastest growing job markets

The U.S. Cities With the Fastest Growing Job Markets - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 11-28-2013, 01:27 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,882,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

You clearly smoke crack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City