U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Cincinnati 36 49.32%
Kansas City 37 50.68%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM

728 posts, read 444,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Wrong. Fountain Square has events scheduled year round and many of them pack the place. You obviously don't know very much about Cincinnati. Which explains your insistence that KC and Cincy are the same.
Yeah, they have lots of events there. It's a really cool gathering spot and the city is obviously investing in keeping things happening there regularly. I've been to several events there (including, unfortunately for you, the event featured in the picture). But I have also been to Cincinnati enough to know what Fountain Square looks like most day and nights, and its not like it is during "Light up the Square" or NYE, man. There's plenty of downtime at Fountain Square and I've seen it. Its still a pleasant public space, but before you spout off again, you might do yourself a favor and check out just how many cities have outdoor public spaces and events regularly during holiday season and in the warm months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM

3,720 posts, read 2,811,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yeah, they have lots of events there. It's a really cool gathering spot and the city is obviously investing in keeping things happening there regularly. I've been to several events there (including, unfortunately for you, the event featured in the picture). But I have also been to Cincinnati enough to know what Fountain Square looks like most day and nights, and its not like it is during "Light up the Square" or NYE, man. There's plenty of downtime at Fountain Square and I've seen it. Its still a pleasant public space, but before you spout off again, you might do yourself a favor and check out just how many cities have outdoor public spaces and events regularly during holiday season and in the warm months...
In fact cincinnati was actually number 8 for the best emerging downtown by Forbes, cincinati has invested billions of dollars into its downtown and its all paying off with our downtown population growing extremely fast.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,403,599 times
Quote:
There's plenty of downtime at Fountain Square and I've seen it.
No doubt, any public gathering place does. But for you to try and make it sound like the only time it packs is light up the square or NYE goes to show you are cherry picking information to try and prove your point, and minimize Fountain Square. So before you spout off again, we are talking about Fountain Square here in CIncinnati and the fact that is packs frequently throughout the year. Oh....you wouldn't know this either, but Cincinnati has also renovated Washington Park in OTR and also has frequent events scheduled there. Your barking up the wrong tree. I live in Cincinnati's urban core and am at the events I am talking about. I live here jack, your misrepresentation is obvious.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You can leave off with the insults anytime now. There are those of us who just disagree with you. Deal with it. But to hurl insults at people for disagreeing with you goes a long ways in showing what type of person you are.
If you're not posting childishly, or showing some obvious and uncalled for defensiveness, I'm not addressing you.

There are obviously some people who disagree and respond. Then there are 2 or 3 juveniles with poor communications skills littering the thread with nonsense like:

Quote:
try asking for a Yuengling out on your prairie, Dances With Wolves...You might be the single-most ridiculous, delusional homer on C-D.
The fact is that I clearly hurt a couple people feelings by suggesting KC and Cincinnati were a lot alike. It wasn't meant as an insult, quite the opposite. Some people disagreed. I was asked to explain why I thought the were particularly close peers, and I did. Some people had some responses ("Cincinnati is hillier, Cincinnati is older"), and I explained what I thought were some more important aspects of both cities to consider and why. Pretty normal internet city-nerd dialogue. But, some people didn't like my answers or postions for reasons I cannot comprehend, and it obviously bothered/offended them. Then one guy started posting pictures and insisting KC did not have things that were comparable to an ice skating rink downtown, or pretty fountains in urban settings, or a neighborhood square of tudor buildings. I said KC does, I showed where. And it's gone on from there. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

Don't like it, don't read it. I didn't flame anyone, and unless your so sensitive you think comparing Cincinnati to Kansas City IS an insult, I never insulted Cincinnati. But if you're posting silly stuff like "incidentally, KC is close to Enid OK" as some kind of attempt at a clever rejoinder, you should expect someone to call you childish, juvenile or stupid.

Get a little thicker skin, man. It's the internet.

Last edited by s.davis; 03-29-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM

3,720 posts, read 2,811,045 times
Quote:
No doubt, any public gathering place does. But for you to try and make it sound like the only time it packs is light up the square or NYE goes to show you are cherry picking information to try and prove your point, and minimize Fountain Square. So before you spout off again, we are talking about Fountain Square here in CIncinnati and the fact that is packs frequently throughout the year. Oh....you wouldn't know this either, but Cincinnati has also renovated Washington Park in OTR and also has frequent events scheduled there. Your barking up the wrong tree. I live in Cincinnati's urban core and am at the events I am talking about. I live here jack, your misrepresentation is obvious.
shall i include a sheduale of fountain square events...
Upcoming Events | Fountain Square – Cincinnati Ohio

Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,403,599 times
Quote:
you should expect someone to call you childish, juvenile or stupid.
Which goes a long way to show you are what you call others. Deal with it bro. Cincinnati and KC are not that similar when you get right down to it. Nothing wrong with KC either, and definitely not insulted that you think they are the same. I think you are of that opinion because you don't know as much about Cincinnati as you think. It has changed at an accelerated rate in the past few years and is now starting to gain national recognition for all that is happening here.

Do tell me something about the development happening in KC's urban core at the moment.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 AM

2,741 posts, read 2,022,058 times
Man Cincy in penis size contests with everyone around these days. In defense of Fountain Square, people have to realize it's usage. It's not really meant to be a tourist spot. Sure it becomes one as something that one should visit but for the locals it's not that. It functions as the heart of the city (think of Public Square in Cleveland or Monument Circle). Outside of an event held there or near there, will you see people packed by the thousands daily? No. What you will see though esp. during the warmer months is a bustling area especially around lunch time during the work week and people hanging out downtown on weekend evenings and right after work. Will it be overflowing most days, no, but there is definitely more than enough activity to warrant its success. It's not the Plaza, it isn't gimmicky and geared toward people spending money.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Jesus H.

You guys are all stirred up but your just making my point:

Both KC and Cincy have made huge strides in reinvesting in their respective downtowns after long periods of neglect, both have seen enormous population gains. KC's downtown had fallen further, I would argue, than Cincinnati, but some of it's census tracts posted gains 200+% of population in the last decade, and there isn't much difference in the populations anymore.

Cincy's CBD has about a little more than 5000 people in a little more than 1 square mile.

KC's CBD has slightly over 6000 people in a little less than 1 square mile .

Greater Downtown Cincy ( CBD, Pendleton and OTR) has 13,000 people.

Greater Downtown KC (the Loop (CBD), River Market and the Crossroads) has 11,000 people.

They both have festivals and events, good public markets, condos, high rises, bars, nightlife, massive new developments, their both choked off from the surrounding city by expressways, they both have public squares and family-friendly events, ammenities, etc. etc.

Sorry it bugs you guys, so. It doesn't bother me at all to be a lot like Cincinnati, though I don't think its particularly sexy, and it certainly is underrated and kind of ignored or laughed at by the broader cultural arbiters of "cool". I feel like I know something they don't.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Which goes a long way to show you are what you call others. Deal with it bro. Cincinnati and KC are not that similar when you get right down to it. Nothing wrong with KC either, and definitely not insulted that you think they are the same. I think you are of that opinion because you don't know as much about Cincinnati as you think. It has changed at an accelerated rate in the past few years and is now starting to gain national recognition for all that is happening here.
I was in Cincinnati in DECEMBER man. Before that, August. Before that Easter or 2012. My wife is from there. We go back often. It sure seems like I get there a lot more than you get to KC. I certainly know Cincinnati better than you know KC, and it shows when you say things like:

Quote:
Do tell me something about the development happening in KC's urban core at the moment.
There's plenty, and its pretty easy to find. Some of it in this thread.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
shall i include a sheduale of fountain square events...
upcoming events | fountain square cincinnati ohio
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City