U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is more diverse?
LA 30 27.78%
NYC 63 58.33%
About equal 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 PM

582 posts, read 955,146 times

Advertisements

New York is easily more diverse, facts prove it. Toronto would have been a better comparison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,642,284 times
Look at the article I posted. NYC came in 2nd to Los Angeles. Very close call and NYC is very diverse...but LA wins this one. This forum tends to have a NYC bias to anything, so sadly, LA probably won't the poll, even though it should.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM

582 posts, read 955,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Look at the article I posted. NYC came in 2nd to Los Angeles. Very close call and NYC is very diverse...but LA wins this one. This forum tends to have a NYC bias to anything, so sadly, LA probably won't the poll, even though it should.
And I can post about a dozen articles showing New York wins for diversity. Point?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM

10,087 posts, read 12,573,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
And I can post about a dozen articles showing New York wins for diversity. Point?
From what I have seen, they are pretty close. I'd give NYC the nod but it isn't "easily" more diverse. Just more diverse.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,749 posts, read 39,655,111 times
This post shows how NYC is different from most northern (though also true in New England, but the black population is rather small here) cities, black-only ghettos are scarcer [East NY is a not so good neighborhood]:

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It depends on how you define "segregated". Is an area that's 60% Hispanic and 40% Black considered segregated? If so, then yes, we're pretty segregated.

The thing about NYC is that practically every neighborhood has a small Hispanic population (though in some areas, they have a small Asian population instead). There are very few areas that are 90% White or 90% Black. For instance, if East NY were in the Rust Belt, it would probably be something like 95% Black, but in NYC, it's more like 70% Black and 30% Hispanic (of course, with some Whites and Asians here and there, and with a small population from Bangledesh in the City Line section).

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM

940 posts, read 1,684,525 times
They are incredibly close but I'd give the nod to NYC. Ten years ago, it would have been LA, but during that time NYC has gotten more diverse and LA less (due to natural increase among resident Mexican-Americans).

But one thing that's not being discussed is the diversity of the civic culture (which is a much hazier topic but I think worthy of discussion). One thing that really helps Los Angeles feel more diverse than it is is the fact that (for better or worse) there is very little centralization/hierarchy in LA. In the New York metro region you have a very clear cultural hierarchy of Manhattan and the wealthy white suburbs at the top. These are the cultural elite written about in the New Yorker and who are considered the "patrons" of the city, the arts etc., who are strongly tied to finance, real estate, etc. In Los Angeles, you may have the movie industry and its share of wealthy white people, but the degree of cultural dominance is nowhere near as significant as that of NYC's cultural/economic elite.

LA is a more fragmented, disconnected metro area, and while this has its fair share of negatives, one positive (at least to me) is that its civic culture is more populist.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM

669 posts, read 690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
But one thing that's not being discussed is the diversity of the civic culture (which is a much hazier topic but I think worthy of discussion). One thing that really helps Los Angeles feel more diverse than it is is the fact that (for better or worse) there is very little centralization/hierarchy in LA. In the New York metro region you have a very clear cultural hierarchy of Manhattan and the wealthy white suburbs at the top. These are the cultural elite written about in the New Yorker and who are considered the "patrons" of the city, the arts etc., who are strongly tied to finance, real estate, etc. In Los Angeles, you may have the movie industry and its share of wealthy white people, but the degree of cultural dominance is nowhere near as significant as that of NYC's cultural/economic elite.

LA is a more fragmented, disconnected metro area, and while this has its fair share of negatives, one positive (at least to me) is that its civic culture is more populist.
That's BS.

The equivalent of Manhattan in Los Angeles would be either the Westside or San Fernando Valley both which are far whiter than Manhattan.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post

The equivalent of Manhattan in Los Angeles would be either the Westside or San Fernando Valley both which are far whiter than Manhattan.
The San Fernando Valley is whiter than Manhattan? Did you mean somewhere else?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:29 PM

669 posts, read 690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The San Fernando Valley is whiter than Manhattan? Did you mean somewhere else?
Am I missing something here?

Non-Hispanic Whites:

Manhattan: 48.0%
San Fernando Valey: 68.1%.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Am I missing something here?

Non-Hispanic Whites:

Manhattan: 48.0%
San Fernando Valey: 68.1%.
I thought the San Frenando Valley was more hispanic. Where'd you get the stats from? But part of the reason for Manhattan's low non-hispanic white % is the upper third of the island, which excluding a couple sections, is mainly poor and minority (Harlem, Washington Heights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or