U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area is more diverse?
LA 30 27.78%
NYC 63 58.33%
About equal 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM

669 posts, read 691,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought the San Frenando Valley was more hispanic. Where'd you get the stats from? But part of the reason for Manhattan's low non-hispanic white % is the upper third of the island, which excluding a couple sections, is mainly poor and minority (Harlem, Washington Heights).
San Fernando Valley - Demographics

The data is from the 2010 census.

It's the same with San Fernando except with smaller numbers as expected since they have less minorities. Minority communities like Pacoima are mainly poor and crime filled. This is pretty much the same as most places in the country so I don't get what your trying to prove here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 03:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,579,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
San Fernando Valley - Demographics

The data is from the 2010 census.

It's the same with San Fernando except with smaller numbers as expected since they have less minorities. Minority communities like Pacoima are mainly poor and crime filled. This is pretty much the same as most places in the country so I don't get what your trying to prove here.
Weird that Wikipedia has those numbers: San Fernando Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

According to that, it is 41.1% White, 42.6% Hispanic which lines up more with the SFV I've experienced.

But yes you are correct, places like Sylmar, Pacoima, Sun Valley, Panorama City have concentrations of poverty.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Weird that Wikipedia has those numbers: San Fernando Valley - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

According to that, it is 41.1% White, 42.6% Hispanic which lines up more with the SFV I've experienced.

But yes you are correct, places like Sylmar, Pacoima, Sun Valley, Panorama City have concentrations of poverty.
What you posted is from the 2000 census though. The wiki one is from 2010.

To anybody that wasn't aware of this, San Fernando Valley now is about what most are thinking of when they think Hollywood.

Quote:
The Valley is home to numerous companies, the most well-known of which work in motion pictures, music recording, and television production. The former movie ranches were branches of original studios now consisting of CBS Studio Center, NBCUniversal, The Walt Disney Company (and its ABC television network), and Warner Bros.
The actual Hollywood district itself has more minorities (still pretty much just White as Manhattan), but most of the movie industry in LA is in the Westside and San Fernando Valley which is actually what people in general are visualizing when they think Hollywood.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What you posted is from the 2000 census though. The wiki one is from 2010.

To anybody that wasn't aware of this, San Fernando Valley now is about what most are thinking of when they think Hollywood.

The actual Hollywood district itself is more friendly to minorities (still pretty much just white as Manhattan), but most of the movie industry in LA is in the Westside and San Fernando Valley which is actually what people in general are visualizing when they think Hollywood
I don't think the Valley suddenly got 1/3 more white in 10 years, if anything it's getting more Hispanic. There's something funky about those Wikipedia numbers, I think they count Glendale and environs (which aren't really in the SFV). The population there is technically white, but largely Armenian.

And the Westside is generally what people think of when they think of "Hollywood". But even that is not what it was even 10-20 years ago, lots of run down areas and it is getting more diverse every year.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I don't think the Valley suddenly got 1/3 more white in 10 years, if anything it's getting more Hispanic.There's something funky about those Wikipedia numbers, I think they count Glendale and environs (which aren't really in the SFV). The population there is technically white, but largely Armenian.
It could be that they moved to other parts of Los Angeles. It's not like the Hispanic population increasing in every single part of the country.

And if we are going to being that up one could make the same argument about let's say a lot of Italians and a bunch of other technically white races in Manhattan.

Quote:
And the Westside is generally what people think of when they think of "Hollywood". But even that is not what it was even 10-20 years ago, lots of run down areas and it is getting more diverse every year.
Yeah the Westside and San Fernando Valley that's what I meant to say.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,751 posts, read 39,686,242 times
Quote:
I don't think the Valley suddenly got 1/3 more white in 10 years, if anything it's getting more Hispanic. There's something funky about those Wikipedia numbers, I think they count Glendale and environs (which aren't really in the SFV). The population there is technically white, but largely Armenian.
Check the map:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

looks like the valley got less white and more hispanic on average.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Check the map:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

looks like the valley got less white and more hispanic on average.
Are you sure San Fernando VALLEY is what you zoomed into in that map? I can't seem to find that anywhere in that map . Keep in mind just San Fernando is a small little city in San Fernando Valley which is 92.5% Hispanic.

From that same map same map it shows the Hispanic population decrese quite a bit around Burbank and Glendale in the valley which tends to kind of suggest the wiki info is right.

Last edited by yyuusr; 05-24-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Are you sure San Fernando VALLEY is what you zoomed into in that map? I can't seem to find that anywhere in that map . Keep in mind just San Fernando is a small little city in San Fernando Valley which is 92.5% Hispanic.

From that same map same map it shows the Hispanic population decrese quite a bit around Burbank and Glendale in the valley which tends to kind of suggest the wiki info is right.
Like I said, Glendale isn't really part of the San Fernando Valley. Also its white population is mostly made up of Armenians, who are closer to Central Asian than Anglo.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Like I said, Glendale isn't really part of the San Fernando Valley. Also its white population is mostly made up of Armenians, who are closer to Central Asian than Anglo.
It doesn't have any data for Armenians on 2010 but according to the 2000 census about 34% of the then 63% of white population. So the city would still be majority white even if you completely took them out. Anyways it doesn't really matter if it's not technically part city it's still around San Fernando and it and Burbank as I saw increased in the white population. Which suggests wiki data is correct.

And like I said if you go into that line of argument you can also make that argument for let's say a lot of Italians, Jews and some other white races in Manhattan and New York who aren't really Anglo either.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM

940 posts, read 1,685,107 times
Quote:
That's BS.

The equivalent of Manhattan in Los Angeles would be either the Westside or San Fernando Valley both which are far whiter than Manhattan.
I wasn't arguing that the westside is less white than Manhattan. I was just making the argument that the westside has less cultural influence over the metropolis than Manhattan does.

LA is famous for its decentralization ("88 suburbs in search of a city..") and this extends to the culture as well. This characteristic is commonly bemoaned for the negatives (less arts/culture patronage, no "cultural heart," less civic pride, difficulty with regional planning, etc.), but I see a positive in that LA feels much less "top down" culturally than NYC metro. This leads to a different experience of diversity, in my opinion, for better or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or