Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Hold The Diva Title
Houston 31 13.78%
Los Angeles 47 20.89%
NYC 56 24.89%
Atlanta 29 12.89%
Dallas 42 18.67%
Miami 9 4.00%
Chicago 11 4.89%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
That's all nice and all that but you can't just ignore criminals either just to focus on black success stories. That would be totally disrespectful to all the innocent victims of those scumbags and also people's lives it still affects.
Of course he'd focus on the negatives of ATL's and America's Black communities. But the post I was responded to suggested that "he'd be dissappointed with the hooligans in Atlanta" as if law abiding, middle-class, affluent, and poor Blacks don't exist in the city of Atlanta. As if ATL is nothing but criminals, and as if Blacks haven't made significant strides in ATL and don't own their own businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,275,155 times
You should have put San Francisco on this poll. The locals in LA are actually more humble in conparison.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,010,844 times
Houston is the best overall town on the list excluding NYC

Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,490,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston is the best overall town on the list excluding NYC
For being a diva?

Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM

311 posts, read 490,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
A lot of people in NY and LA are pretty narrow-minded and insulated.
True. I can attest to that as a native and life-long resident of Los Angeles. Personally, I think that it's more of a class-divide than anything else here. In my daily errand runnings, especially in Downtown, although very diverse, there is rarely any social interaction between people of different incomes. The further away a person is from Downtown and the Hollywood area, it's gets somewhat better.

In the San Fernando Valley, where I currently reside, the people are more friendly.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,566,745 times
I don't know how Houston ended up on this list. Hell, even the people I know who are FROM Houston don't like Houston.

If you're talking self-absorbed cities, the list would read something like New York, LA, Dallas, San Francisco, and Chicago.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
True. I can attest to that as a native and life-long resident of Los Angeles. Personally, I think that it's more of a class-divide than anything else here. In my daily errand runnings, especially in Downtown, although very diverse, there is rarely any social interaction between people of different incomes. The further away a person is from Downtown and the Hollywood area, it's gets somewhat better.

In the San Fernando Valley, where I currently reside, the people are more friendly.
Interesting that the folks who live in the more suburban areas like the San Fernando Valley are more friendlier than the folks who reside in the dense urban areas like Hollywood.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,893,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
For being a diva?
Actually Houston can be a diva city coming from a born and raise Texeo!!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 PM

911 posts, read 1,124,435 times
San Fran is desperately missing from this list. The SF boosters on this board are the most ridiculous boosters I've ever encountered. They'll take any tiny fact, no matter how irrelevant, spin it out of context, and use it to boost their their city.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
San Fran is desperately missing from this list. The SF boosters on this board are the most ridiculous boosters I've ever encountered. They'll take any tiny fact, no matter how irrelevant, spin it out of context, and use it to boost their their city.
Not sure I'd call them the most ridiculous boosters on C-D, but I would call SF'ans (and many Bay Areans in general) to be among the absolute most arrogant people in the United States. Especially as it relates to "the City" and NorCal.

Oakland and the South Bay/San Jose tend to have some more down to Earth, relaxed types, but San Francisco, Marin and the general Bay Area is not the "California laid back" people think of generally. The area's coastal towns like Half Moon Bay, Pescadero, and Santa Cruz/Capitola (which even still is greatly influenced by Silicon Valley commuter snobbery) are also considerably more laid back.

I honestly find L.A. and Southern California to be a little more laid back and less full of itself, at least once you're away from Hollywood and wealthy areas like the west side, Calabasas and South O.C. Go to the San Gabriel Valley or north O.C., which still have many nice areas mind you, and tell me how "pretentious" it feels compared to the seas of leased $60k Lexuses. Yeah...that's what I thought.

Now, you wanna see a city where I consistently meet grumpy people and/or straight a-holes every time I visit? Louisville, Kentucky. Moved away from there in 2005 after living there for nine months, but still have to visit 1-2 times a year because of family nearby. I appreciate my Kentucky roots, but have no love to lose for its largest city! The superiority/inferiority complex the residents have against most places that aren't "the 'Ville," especially rural Kentucky, is just bazaar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City