Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,756,934 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles has commuter rail to Palmdale / Lancaster, Valencia / Santa Clarita, Ventura / Oxnard / Camarillo, Irvine, Riverside, San Bernardino. There is talk of a commuter rail to Palm Springs, but sounds like it is more of a pipe dream. Metrolink is incredibly extensive, it just has pretty weak ridership.

One other feature of Metrolink that is pretty unique is that it has a line from the Inland Empire to Orange County, which was the first suburb-to-suburb commuter rail in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Many of Chicago's commuter lines basically go out to where the cornfields start.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,968,772 times
Amtrak to Hartford has scheduling delays, its a mess.

I have been saying this since I joined this forum and have had the displeasure of driving in CT into NYC, the traffic in that corridor is awful and it further confirms my belief that from Springfield to NYC are all one area, even by development it looks like a tail cutting through CT along the Long Island Sound and going north from New Haven into MA and there are no breaks in development either. They need more train service in that corridor. Springfield to Scranton are the low cost frontiers for exurban NYC, I for one wouldnt be shocked to see them added to NYC's expansive CSA because I already think of them as the same area. Unfortunately commuter rates dont support that theory right now but I dont have any doubts on the direction theyre headed in IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 04-08-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
The MARC train in DC goes all the way to West Virginia. Also the Penn and Camden lines go to Baltimore and the Penn goes even further to Perryville. There are plans to extend the Penn line from Perryville to Wilmington, DE in the future.
I'm not sure if either the MTA or Septa owns the tracks between Perryville to Newark, DE. I would assume that both transit agencies would have to work together to get that accomplished. Perryville, MD is actually an exburb of Philly and it would be nice for Northeast Maryland to have direct rail service to Philadelphia.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I am curious to hear if any metros have commuter rail or passenger rail to their exurbs.

FTR, in the SF Bay Area we have Altamont Commuter Express from the SF Bay Area to Stockton. ACE | Altamont Commuter Express | Welcome to ACE Life!

In the last couple of years they went from 2 trains a day each way to 3 in a few years ago and they just started 4 a few months back and they are looking at expanding service into Modesto too.

BTW, are there any intercity, HSR, or BT train plans in any cities from city to their suburbs and exurbs? How's the ridership? For metros that dont have commuter rail to exurbs, are there any plans?
Amtrak Capitol Corrridor also. SMART is also under construction in the North Bay.

eBART is also under construction in Eastern Contra Costa.

And then there's that gawd awful high speed rail that is supposed to connect LA-SF. It would have been better to build a bulllet train within NorCal and another separate bullet train withib SoCal.

Also, BARTs current plans have it ending right at the border of the East Bay and Stockton at two fronts. The valley has to be next up for expansion. An SFO to Tracy line would probably be the longest 'subway' line in the world.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,076,288 times
The Twin Cities have one commuter rail line to Big Lake. Initially, it was planned to go to St. Cloud (pop. ~70,000). Funding was cut, and "phase II" was tabled until ridership numbers justified it. Unfortunately, without going to St. Cloud, the attractiveness of the line suffered, so it's in a weird catch-22 where ridership will increase if the line is extended to St. Cloud, but the line won't be extended to St. Cloud until ridership increases.

DC has commuter rail service to Baltimore, and exurbs of each are served along the way, if I recall correctly...

Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,914,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Amtrak to Hartford has scheduling delays, its a mess.
Springfield to Scranton are the low cost frontiers for exurban NYC, I for one wouldnt be shocked to see them added to NYC's expansive CSA because I already think of them as the same area. Unfortunately commuter rates dont support that theory right now but I dont have any doubts on the direction theyre headed in IMO.
To be honest it wouldn't even surprise me either if the New York area added Scranton, PA to it's CSA within the next 20 years or so. The New York CSA just recently added the Lehigh Valley and Monroe County, PA(which actually borders Lackawanna County) so now the NYC CSA now borders the county Scranton, PA is located in. Once New Jersey Tansit restores rail service to the Lackawanna cutoff, the commuter rates for the Scranton area will increase dramatically.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/lackawanna_1105.pdf

Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,507,325 times
Miami's Tri-Rail commuter rail serves Juno Beach & Jupiter in northern Palm beach county which is some 70 miles away. There is also talk of extending service to St. Lucie county now that it is part of the Miami CSA area.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,500,878 times
With the opening of the A-Train in 2011, Dallas now has a commuter rail connection with Denton. The A-Train hooks up with DART in the suburbs. Whether Denton is considered a exurb, though, I'm not sure.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,852,562 times
Orlando will have one this time next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City