Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 15,083 times

Advertisements

I'm a new attorney that went to U. Memphis and I've been working in the DC area for a couple of years (non-profit work, not strict legal work). DH is a writer, thinking about getting a PhD in psychology. If we move again, I'd look for non-profit communications or development work work.

I really miss the pace of life in the South, and miss living in Memphis especially. We'd like to settle down in the next couple years and start a family.

Any thoughts on how Memphis plays out in the following factors? We're also considering NOLA and staying in the DC area.
  • Kid Friendly
    DC is very kid friendly - good public schools, lots to do, lots of ethnic/racial/socioeconomic diversity. My biggest concern about Memphis is the school system. We don't have kids now, but it's hard to imagine putting our kids in public schools either in Memphis or NOLA.
  • Job Opportunities
    DC has a ton of job opportunities, but at times the market can be cutthroat, hours are long, and the commute is hell. Memphis and NOLA have less jobs, but seem to have a stronger economy than other cities in their regions.
  • Race Relations/Progressiveness
    The second biggest that is really holding me back from returning to Memphis is race relations. I've lived in Mississippi, Louisiana, and now DC, all in areas where there was a mix of backgrounds. Memphis is the only place where there where restaurants that would not serve us (we're White), or where it felt like people were openly hostile. And this is after taking a "Race and Reconciliation" class at the Caritas Village and trying to engage with some of the civil rights activists and communities that were trying to work together.
  • Dog Friendly
    I'd say Memphis wins here too.
  • Cost of Living
    Since DC is one of the highest COL in the US, Memphis and NOLA win out.
  • Weather
    I like the temperate weather in Memphis and the hot weather in NOLA. Pretty sure snow is my nemesis.

Thoughts? Am I missing any key considerations?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
DC crushes both Memphis and New Orleans, its not even close.

DC is much more "northeastern" in character and its more cultural. Memphis and NOLA are southern first before anything and with that you get the good and the bad. New Orleans is a clear #2 in this thread with Memphis being dead last, its country in my opinion. NOLA is too but not on the same scale.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM

42 posts, read 102,091 times
As a longtime former resident of the DC area, let me just say-- DC is Lawyer Mecca! From governments to non-profits to lobbies, it's all there. Take your pick!

Regarding hellish commutes-- it all depends where you live and how close to mass transit, no?
Where do you *really* live? VA/MD, or DC proper? I'm asking because it seems like you drive to work.

As for grad school, the DC area has lots of great universities with graduate programs. Psychology is a vast area of study, not sure if you're talking about experimental or clinical psychology, but there will be all kinds of choices I imagine-- Georgetown, GW, UMD, with Hopkins a short train ride away.

Lastly, for your kid, Fairfax and MoCo have some of the best school districts in the nation, plus so many educational and entertainment opportunities-- the zoo, museums, theaters, parks, music-- so much of it free of charge. DC is amazing!

And while you might get a bit chilly winters compared to the south, it doesn't really snow much in the area, does it? Summers in DC are sweltering!

I know nothing about Memphis btw, but I love the DC area. I've been gone for several years now but I miss it terribly.

--

edit: ps- as for social divisions, in the DC area they have much more to do with class and income than "race".

Last edited by Pantagruel; 04-08-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 15,083 times
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm in the MD suburbs, but we don't have a car, so we mostly use our legs as our mode of transportation. And the train.

And true, it doesn't snow much in DC compared to living up north (or father up the
Coast), but it definitely snows more than in Louisiana! haha

Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseBailey View Post
I'm a new attorney that went to U. Memphis and I've been working in the DC area for a couple of years (non-profit work, not strict legal work). DH is a writer, thinking about getting a PhD in psychology. If we move again, I'd look for non-profit communications or development work work.

I really miss the pace of life in the South, and miss living in Memphis especially. We'd like to settle down in the next couple years and start a family.

Any thoughts on how Memphis plays out in the following factors? We're also considering NOLA and staying in the DC area.
  • Kid Friendly
    DC is very kid friendly - good public schools, lots to do, lots of ethnic/racial/socioeconomic diversity. My biggest concern about Memphis is the school system. We don't have kids now, but it's hard to imagine putting our kids in public schools either in Memphis or NOLA.
  • Job Opportunities
    DC has a ton of job opportunities, but at times the market can be cutthroat, hours are long, and the commute is hell. Memphis and NOLA have less jobs, but seem to have a stronger economy than other cities in their regions.
  • Race Relations/Progressiveness
    The second biggest that is really holding me back from returning to Memphis is race relations. I've lived in Mississippi, Louisiana, and now DC, all in areas where there was a mix of backgrounds. Memphis is the only place where there where restaurants that would not serve us (we're White), or where it felt like people were openly hostile. And this is after taking a "Race and Reconciliation" class at the Caritas Village and trying to engage with some of the civil rights activists and communities that were trying to work together.
  • Dog Friendly
    I'd say Memphis wins here too.
  • Cost of Living
    Since DC is one of the highest COL in the US, Memphis and NOLA win out.
  • Weather
    I like the temperate weather in Memphis and the hot weather in NOLA. Pretty sure snow is my nemesis.

Lol, aside from the weather looks like you already have made your decision. DC it seems to be!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:20 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I don't see how one would pick either New Orleans or Memphis over Washington, D.C. given your criteria. Really, the main thing that New Orleans has over D.C. is the unique local food and festivities. But the D.C. area has a lot as well and just far more going on in general. There's a reason that D.C. has a higher COL than New Orleans or Memphis.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM

42 posts, read 102,091 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm in the MD suburbs, but we don't have a car, so we mostly use our legs as our mode of transportation. And the train.

And true, it doesn't snow much in DC compared to living up north (or father up the
Coast), but it definitely snows more than in Louisiana! haha
Ah, I see. I love the Metro! The closer you get into the city the more you can rely on it. MD buses aren't very good, and cabs are harder to come by.

If you wish to remain car-free, moving into the city is great for walking, metro, buses, bikes, cab, everything-- including the occasional zipcar. The public schools aren't that great though! Though you might be able to find a charter school.

If you want the suburbs, a car will make your life lots easier, but places like Takoma Park or Silver Spring will have a bit more public transportation options, but not on par with DC proper.

Oh, I miss DC so much... good jazz town too, if you know where to look.

--

edit: and you suffer the cold much less inside the metro tunnels or a warm cab!

Last edited by Pantagruel; 04-08-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 PM

112 posts, read 183,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
DC crushes both Memphis and New Orleans, its not even close.

DC is much more "northeastern" in character and its more cultural. Memphis and NOLA are southern first before anything and with that you get the good and the bad. New Orleans is a clear #2 in this thread with Memphis being dead last, its country in my opinion. NOLA is too but not on the same scale.

I'm surprised that some of the Memphis local color have not chimed in here making another foolish case for Memphis being competitive to DC .....LOL.....like some have on this board attempting to compare favorably Memphis to CHICAGO.

NOLA does have a slight edge over Memphis, but both are sort of cultural cesspools (when fairly compared to a host of other SE and SW cities that are on the move.

The OP should know the comparison of a DC, given your profession, education and expectations (schools, etc), should eliminate Memphis and NOLA v ery easily. Unfortunate, but no need to lie about the deficiencies when looking around the nation's capital, including lots of areas in MD and NOVA....pass on Mem and NOLA
for godsake...lol

Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
If I were you, my biggest concern would be taking the Louisiana Bar, which is a completely different animal from every other bar exam. You wouldn't have to be admitted to the DC Bar if you're working for most government agencies or non-profits. And you can waive into DC after you've been admitted to pretty much any state bar.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
dc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City