Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Austin is Diverse??
Moreso than Cleveland, St. Louis, or Denver which are on the OP's list.

To the OP, from a diversity standpoint, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, and DC will be tops on your list. That said, there is some segregation involved in all of them. Houston is probably the most integrated followed by Dallas of the cities you listed. Statistically, Houston, DC, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta are the most diverse in that order (by metro area).

As far as walkability, if you come from an East Coast city, you may not be wowed by Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta. Chicago, DC, Philly, and Denver are all going to be more walkable. I dont know as much about Cleveland and St. Louis in this regard so I wont comment. In my opinion, Houston has the least walkable neighborhoods of the cities on your list as well as inaccessable rail from most of the city.

Chicago and Houston are probably the best food cities on your list, but Philly, Dallas, Atlanta, and DC are all excellent in this regard too. You cant go wrong with any of the above as far as food is concerned. Again, Im not as familiar with St. Louis or Cleveland so I cant speak for them.

For the outdoors, I would say Denver and Atlanta would probably be tops on your list. If you are considering Austin, its really good too.

Hope that helps somewhat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM

192 posts, read 292,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merceydesgal View Post
i apologise if this topic has been treated recently. I'm about to move to the us next fall for my phd, and i need advice on which city will be best for me so i can know which schools to apply to. I've read a lot of information on this forum, but it's still a bit confusing.

I'm 23, female and i'm not caucasian. My priorities are:

-medium to large size city that is racially diverse, with friendly and open minded people.
-healthy economy, low crime and affordable cost of living.
-good food, good wine and decent nightlife.
-i'm an outdoor person. I love greenery and nature.
-walkability, cos i might not own a car immediately.
-eligible bachelors who aren't allergic to ltr and commitment. Although i have my prefernce, i can date anyone as long as we are compartible. Race is not a problem.
-i can take any weather so not a problem. This is all for now. Lol

currently i'm considering houston, dallas, atlanta, chicago, philadephia, denver, dc, st loius, and cleveland.
Which of these cities will be best for me? Any othere suggestions? Thanks

oakland ca

Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerceydesGal View Post
I apologise if this topic has been treated recently. I'm about to move to the US next Fall for my Phd, and I need advice on which city will be best for me so I can know which schools to apply to. I've read a lot of information on this forum, but it's still a bit confusing.

I'm 23, female and I'm not caucasian. My priorities are:

-Medium to large size city that is racially diverse, with friendly and open minded people.
-Healthy economy, low crime and affordable cost of living.
-Good food, good wine and decent nightlife.
-I'm an outdoor person. I love greenery and nature.
-Walkability, cos I might not own a car immediately.
-Eligible bachelors who aren't allergic to LTR and commitment. Although I have my prefernce, I can date anyone as long as we are compartible. Race is not a problem.
-I can take any weather so not a problem. This is all for now. Lol

Currently I'm considering Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadephia, Denver, DC, St Loius, and Cleveland.
Boston would work for you as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
I apologise if this topic has been treated recently. I'm about to move to the US next Fall for my Phd, and I need advice on which city will be best for me so I can know which schools to apply to. I've read a lot of information on this forum, but it's still a bit confusing.

I'm 23, female and I'm not caucasian. My priorities are:

-Medium to large size city that is racially diverse, with friendly and open minded people.
-Healthy economy, low crime and affordable cost of living.
-Good food, good wine and decent nightlife.
-I'm an outdoor person. I love greenery and nature.
-Walkability, cos I might not own a car immediately.
-Eligible bachelors who aren't allergic to LTR and commitment. Although I have my prefernce, I can date anyone as long as we are compartible. Race is not a problem.
-I can take any weather so not a problem. This is all for now. Lol

Currently I'm considering Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadephia, Denver, DC, St Loius, and Cleveland.
The most diverse out of your choices is Chicago, Houston, Philly and maybe DC the others arent very diverse compared to these cities. Chicago has great nightlife, food, great downtown, great transportation out of all your choices and is very cheap. my vote is chicago

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Minneapolis seems to be far from everything! Can you tell me about Syracuse? I know it's a small city but Uni Syracuse has a strong rating for my program of interest. Thank you
I think you can make it work. CENTRO, the public transportation for the region has been award winning some years in comparison to areas of a similar size. You would probably like the Westcott neighborhood, which is within walking distance of Syracuse University and it is a diverse neighborhood. Downtown Syracuse also could be an option, as there is construction for more housing. There is nightlife in Armory Square, Westcott and even at DestinyUSA. It is in a good location in relation to major cities in the Northeast, eastern Canada and parts of the Midwest, as well as mountains, lakes and parks. I'll add more later and if you have any questions just ask.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
I'd prefer not to own a car right away, but it's ok if I have to. I really like Chicago, but I'm reading horror stories about segregation, crime and racism

I'm also leaning towards Atlanta, but I learnt it's geared towards a particular group of people. I want diversity, not where I will stand out. I'm a very social person, I'd like to make friends with people from all works of live and background. What about Virginia? I don't think Raleigh which someone mentioned earlier will suit me though.
Most of chicago is very safe just dont go south of 35th street. Racism is sooo overrated i am a minority and have been treated very well in Chicago then any other place in america. Segregation is true but we are still well integrated like every city. You say you dont want to own a car, then you should go with Chicago best transportation out of all these cities, DC has awesome transportation too. Chicago has a metro of 9 million you wont be bored. Just like you said if you can take weather you can totally take Chicago.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The most diverse out of your choices is Chicago, Houston, Philly and maybe DC the others arent very diverse compared to these cities. Chicago has great nightlife, food, great downtown, great transportation out of all your choices and is very cheap. my vote is chicago
Dallas and Atlanta are more diverse than Philly. Racially Dallas is more diverse than Chicago, but Chicago is more multicultural than Dallas.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM

77 posts, read 144,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Moreso than Cleveland, St. Louis, or Denver which are on the OP's list.

To the OP, from a diversity standpoint, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, and DC will be tops on your list. That said, there is some segregation involved in all of them. Houston is probably the most integrated followed by Dallas of the cities you listed. Statistically, Houston, DC, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta are the most diverse in that order (by metro area).

As far as walkability, if you come from an East Coast city, you may not be wowed by Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta. Chicago, DC, Philly, and Denver are all going to be more walkable. I dont know as much about Cleveland and St. Louis in this regard so I wont comment. In my opinion, Houston has the least walkable neighborhoods of the cities on your list as well as inaccessable rail from most of the city.

Chicago and Houston are probably the best food cities on your list, but Philly, Dallas, Atlanta, and DC are all excellent in this regard too. You cant go wrong with any of the above as far as food is concerned. Again, Im not as familiar with St. Louis or Cleveland so I cant speak for them.

For the outdoors, I would say Denver and Atlanta would probably be tops on your list. If you are considering Austin, its really good too.

Hope that helps somewhat!
That was really helpful, thanks a bunch.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
D.C. lol....it has the most you'd want based on everything you said. Very urban and walkable, very diverse, very educated population....great nightlife....mountains aren't that far away. Great food choices also.

Atlanta, Dallas, and especially Houston are ruled out for walkability.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

77 posts, read 144,981 times
Thanks everyone, I appreciate.

I didn't consider Boston cos I thought I'll be dwarfed if I can't get into one of the Ivy leaque or 1st tier schools. I also thought it'll be boring as well as expensive.

Someone mentioned CA, I really don't want to be on the West Coast for now.

Currently, Chicago is taking the lead in all categories. Followed by Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, DC and Philly, in that order. What strikes me about Atlanta is that it has a good combination of nature and urbanization. It also has direct flights to the places I'd love to visit.

I know I can't really go wrong with any of these cities, this makes the decision tough. At the end, I'll choose the best school for my program as my career advancement trumps everything else for now.

Ehm, what about the 6th thing on my list? Nobody mentioned that at all. Any reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City