U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be Most Awesome of they where the size of Atlanta or Dallas
Raleigh with a Metro of 6 million people 12 9.60%
Memphis with a Metro of 6 million people 8 6.40%
Jacksonville with a Metro of 6 million people 9 7.20%
Nashville with a Metro of 6 million people 33 26.40%
New Orleans with a Metro of 6 million people 35 28.00%
Austin with a Metro of 6 million people 28 22.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,652,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans without a doubt. As long as the growth is from jobs and the great economy.
I honestly think NO would be ruined the most by adding over 4 million worth of suburbs. One of the things I like about NO is how you can leave the city and be in rural land in 10 minutes or so. Tons of suburbs would compete with downtown for retail, restaurants, and entertainment. I could be wrong; maybe NO could pull off a "Boston-South" with a metro of 6 million? I have my doubts about that though.

With that said, the city that stands to gain the most from a larger MSA would be Raleigh. I say this because central Raleigh isn't very strong (when compared to the other cities on this thread). As a result, a larger suburban population for Raleigh would be a win-win. For NO, it would be a lose-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 PM

582 posts, read 954,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
The thing people don't realize is that, if these cities had 6 million people metros, they wouldn't be the same cities they are now. You can't just extrapolate based on a city in it's current state. Why the big cities like Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston lost it's southern charm and relics in the first place is because of how large they grew. Had the same happened to these cities, it is like they would have shedded many of their southern relics also.
Atlanta is southern as boat shoes and chick fil a? When was their southern culture dropped?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
New Orleans with a Population of 6 million would be Awesome! It'll have a bigger skyline more malls ,all 4 sports teams and a even more legendary party scene
I gave this a great deal of thought... If NOLA had 6 million people, while parts of the Bourbon street would never go away I think the sheer demand for space intown will chip away at and partially kill part of the party space.

I have seen this happen in larger cities that grew quickly the last few decades. Many of the party districts from the 70s and 80s either became decayed, because it was the bad side of town or demand for other purposes that could pay for the property than a bar (residences, business office) would take over. This was definitely the case in Atlanta.

With that said... I don't see NOLA ever being able to fit 6 million people, but if it did... it has to be the clear winner. Given how landlocked it is there would have to be some pretty impressive urban structures built and some pretty impressive public work projects to better connect across the Lake (Slidell, Mandebille, Covington, etc..)

Old 04-11-2013, 06:06 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because people are always trying to compare Charlotte with Atlanta lmao....Charlotte posters have gotten so feisty here since they grew a few hundred thousand people and think they can compete with the Southeast's defacto capital city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
On a separate note, I'm amused by all the Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte talk...AGAIN....
I am amused because I constantly hear how Raleigh (The Triangle) isn't comparable to Charlotte and now Charlotte wants to be compared. Can a city have attention deficit disorder?
To be fair, it's not Charlotte posters or the city itself, but mainly one particular poster who's a relative newbie.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I honestly think NO would be ruined the most by adding over 4 million worth of suburbs. One of the things I like about NO is how you can leave the city and be in rural land in 10 minutes or so. Tons of suburbs would compete with downtown for retail, restaurants, and entertainment. I could be wrong; maybe NO could pull off a "Boston-South" with a metro of 6 million? I have my doubts about that though.
If the metro were to add another 5 million or so in modern times, then yes I could see that. However, had the city continued to grow and industrialize after the Civil War (and there were many factors that worked against that, but hypothetically speaking), it could have at least been half that size and would most likely resemble a larger present-day St. Louis in terms of development patterns IMO.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 AM

4,099 posts, read 3,388,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NOLA all day.
Absolutely...THIS^

Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,986,344 times
New Orleans with 6 million people would be a very messy place...it can barely handle the metro it has without being messy.

I know it sounds good, because people think about more partying and nightlife, but realistically, it would be very crippling.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

9,585 posts, read 10,917,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Cities like Atlanta and Dallas often win polls just because of their sheer size

If these underdog cities where just as big, which would give Atlanta and Dallas a run for their money

Raleigh

Memphis

Jacksonville

Nashville

New Orleans

Austin

Because let's face it eventually all these cities may reach a population of 6 mil

Which would be most exciting
Which would be have the best malls/shopping
Which would have all 4 sports team
Which would have the best mass transit
Atlanta only has three sports teams. They lost hockey recently. I don't know if having all 4 sports teams has anything to do with size. L.A. not having football is a very good example.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
New Orleans with 6 million people would be a very messy place...it can barely handle the metro it has without being messy.

I know it sounds good, because people think about more partying and nightlife, but realistically, it would be very crippling.
What do you mean by "messy" and "crippling"?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM

7,994 posts, read 10,909,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

Totally agree. The topographical features of New Orleans simply would not permit that kind of population to comfortably exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or