U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be Most Awesome of they where the size of Atlanta or Dallas
Raleigh with a Metro of 6 million people 12 9.60%
Memphis with a Metro of 6 million people 8 6.40%
Jacksonville with a Metro of 6 million people 9 7.20%
Nashville with a Metro of 6 million people 33 26.40%
New Orleans with a Metro of 6 million people 35 28.00%
Austin with a Metro of 6 million people 28 22.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM

27,802 posts, read 24,850,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans has been hit hard by nature yet it is still the Paris of the South. Atlanta is the London of the South and Houston is the Berlin of the South. Austin/San Antonio is the SoCal of the South,& DFW is the New York of the South
No. Just no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 PM

508 posts, read 472,138 times
Nashville and Austin. Nashville would probably be the South's premier city, and Austin would just be more fantastic, in my opinion.

My problem is that when you say 6 million, I'm assuming you mean multiplying the city to a point where everything is amplified, and you really can't pick and choose what gets amplified. That's to say that a New Orleans at 6 million might be fantastic, and have one of the largest, most unique urban historic districts out there, which it really already does, but the crime would be outrageous (yes it would!). Memphis might be cool, perhaps something like a Philly of the Middle South, but not quite, certainly not as attractive or vibrant. Raleigh's sprawl would be so bad, it'd make a DC resident blush, probably engulf the entire northern portion of the state. And, Jacksonville, come on....

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
JJG

12,957 posts, read 18,451,017 times
Quote:
New Orleans has been hit hard by nature yet it is still the Paris of the South. Atlanta is the London of the South and Houston is the Berlin of the South. Austin/San Antonio is the SoCal of the South,& DFW is the New York of the South

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,496,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Nashville and Austin. Nashville would probably be the South's premier city, and Austin would just be more fantastic, in my opinion.

My problem is that when you say 6 million, I'm assuming you mean multiplying the city to a point where everything is amplified, and you really can't pick and choose what gets amplified. That's to say that a New Orleans at 6 million might be fantastic, and have one of the largest, most unique urban historic districts out there, which it really already does, but the crime would be outrageous (yes it would!). Memphis might be cool, perhaps something like a Philly of the Middle South, but not quite, certainly not as attractive or vibrant. Raleigh's sprawl would be so bad, it'd make a DC resident blush, probably engulf the entire northern portion of the state. And, Jacksonville, come on....

I agree with a lot of what you said. I absolutely love New Orleans. I lived there one summer, and it's a fantastic city. It's fun for singles, and we had a terrific time there with our kids last summer. I love the architecture, the food. But going from it's current size to 6 million would completely ruin it. And if you amplified everything, the problems would overwhelm the good.

I think it would also water down Nashville to the point that what makes it cool wouldn't be there any more. I live in Nashville and it's an incredible place to live. The creative class is overwhelming here, and it's what makes living in Nashville different from living in other mid sized cities. Nashville can't go to 6 million and still have such a high density of musicians and artists, IMO, so it would lose its uniqueness. Probably the same with Austin.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM

1,795 posts, read 2,443,459 times
Now if the question was which of these metros had 3 million then it would be more logical. Though I like the way the OP is thinking, but 6 million for these metropolitan would be catastrophic, especially Austin which it can barely manage its traffic at 2 million. But to answers the question I think Jacksonville could manage itself better with 6 million.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 PM

6,249 posts, read 9,672,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
To satisfy the Charlotte boosters.....could someone tell us what a Giant Charlotte would look like....it ll probably be closing in on 6 million by 2030...

important to remember way before its metro hits 6 million the Actual CITY of Charlotte will have a Population of 1 million in its city limits alone, in 10-15 years, first in the southeast to do so ....so that has to have a factor in the way Metrolina grows doesn't it
First of all, most of us spend our time on this forum defending Charlotte from over-the-top attacks. Now, to answer your question. A 6 million metro Charlotte (won't happen until 2050, if ever) would look like metro Atlanta mixed in with a little bit of Dallas. In other words, Charlotte is simply on its way to doing what others have done already.

I'll say this much though. Charlotte is taking urban planning more seriously at an earlier stage of its evolution. Just on that fact alone, I think a 6 million MSA Charlotte could have a Mecklenburg county population of 2.5 million (2 million at the least).

FWIW, Mecklenburg county's 2020 population might reach 1.2 million while Charlotte's 2020 MSA population could top 2.6 million. Meck county has slightly over 500 sq/miles while the MSA has 5,000 sq/miles. I must say that I am impressed with how Charlotte continues to keep the bulk of the MSA's population within Mecklenburg county. Whether this will last over the next 2-3 decades remains to be seen.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 04-12-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,292,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Nashville and Austin. Nashville would probably be the South's premier city
LOL, the South has 4 cities that are about 6M now and neither stands out enough to be premier what makes you think Nashville would be Premiere?

Honestly I don't see it topping Houston, ATL or Miami even with 6M

Old 04-12-2013, 05:31 PM

18,249 posts, read 25,960,605 times
Quote:
What?!?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:06 PM

68 posts, read 101,428 times
I hope Austin does not get that big, but on the earlier note. Austin is densifying very fast because of the extremely tight apartment market. I think it just hit 99% which is insane. There are 10s of thousands of apartments either coming online now or under construction. Many are 3-5 stories, but a lot are high rises. Honestly, Austin has to densify because of the traffic. We can't build the road infrastructure needed to continue sprawling out. We have to build up and start light rail which hopefully gets pushed to this coming election.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,346,034 times
I don't care what anyone says. I'd love it if there were a city of 6 million located where Memphis was: a nice, global riverfront city with seasons, good food, and southern culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or