U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would be Most Awesome of they where the size of Atlanta or Dallas
Raleigh with a Metro of 6 million people 12 9.60%
Memphis with a Metro of 6 million people 8 6.40%
Jacksonville with a Metro of 6 million people 9 7.20%
Nashville with a Metro of 6 million people 33 26.40%
New Orleans with a Metro of 6 million people 35 28.00%
Austin with a Metro of 6 million people 28 22.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2013, 04:09 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,179,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
LOL, the South has 4 cities that are about 6M now and neither stands out enough to be premier what makes you think Nashville would be Premiere?

Honestly I don't see it topping Houston, ATL or Miami even with 6M
Well, I think one of the big knocks on Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas is the perceived lack of culture or identity in those cities. The poster can speak for him or herself, but I'm guessing that his/her thinking was that Nashville has a ton of culture and a good reputation as a fun place even though it is under 2 million. If it tripled in size and managed to retain a unique feel, then it would be more popular than the existing southern cities of that size.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,390,363 times
This thread makes my head hurt.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,639,160 times
Quite frankly, if cities like New Orleans, Nashville, Mempis and Austin were to get that big, the question is, would they still be able to retain the quikiness or lively party atmosphere that everyone likes, or will they become more corporate and suburban centered, meaning they potentially lose some of their identity? I do think that Nashville, Austin, and Raleigh will grow larger, but if any of those cities that has the potential to exceed 4 million would be Raleigh, simply because they dont have the culture the other cities have! I say this because Nashville and Austin, while growing, may not want that excessive growth to ruin the attributes that made those cities what they are! Also, for Austin to get that big, they would end up growing into San Antonio! Jacksonville wont ever get that big simply for the fact because of the swampland around the Georgia/Florida border along I95 and they seem content with remaining a small city! I would say that eventually Raleigh and Charlotte would be the metros to potentially achieve that milestone! Both will be a combination of urban/suburban, and if both cities address land use, infrastructure and mass transit, these 2 cities can be healthy enough to manage a larger population once they reach that point!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 05-04-2013 at 12:16 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM

12 posts, read 12,621 times
Yea a 6 million man new orleans might just be a big sad shell of itself. Transients in the South tend to be a dull crowd in search of the most generic comforts delivered in the most multi car interestate friendly sort of convenience. Big growth in the South has only happened through suburban sprawl developments, and they are pretty dreadful or at least contrary to what south Louisiana is all about.
Like look at the growth thats occured over the past twenty years in Baton Rouge just up the river from New Orleans. If that happened to New Orleans, sheesh, it wouldnt be worth it.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,734,267 times
If any of these metros gained millions of people, chances are the entire metro area would change forever. They would be nothing like what they are today. Many of these cities would see drastic demolition for high rises and other places. All of these cities would grow and the few charms of these cities would either be overrun by big business and growth or be too expensive for the majority of people to enjoy

Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
If any of these metros gained millions of people, chances are the entire metro area would change forever. They would be nothing like what they are today. Many of these cities would see drastic demolition for high rises and other places. All of these cities would grow and the few charms of these cities would either be overrun by big business and growth or be too expensive for the majority of people to enjoy
There are cities with 6 million people that have charm and aren't overrun by big business and are not too expensive for the majority. I'm not sure why these would be any different. But I agree, it's hard to say what they would be like if they gained 4-5 million residents. Kind of a sill question.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM

13,979 posts, read 18,750,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 West Florida Parishes View Post
Yea a 6 million man new orleans might just be a big sad shell of itself. Transients in the South tend to be a dull crowd in search of the most generic comforts delivered in the most multi car interestate friendly sort of convenience. Big growth in the South has only happened through suburban sprawl developments, and they are pretty dreadful or at least contrary to what south Louisiana is all about.
Like look at the growth thats occured over the past twenty years in Baton Rouge just up the river from New Orleans. If that happened to New Orleans, sheesh, it wouldnt be worth it.
The thing is people move to New Orleans and want to be a part of the city and culture. There are lots of people moving there and wanting to live in Mid-City or downtown. People are still moving to Jeff parish and the northshore but I don't think it would water down the culture like suggested.
Baton Rouge is a different animal, we're less cultured, less developed in the 19th century, etc. We have plenty of urban neighborhoods but they are mostly ghetto.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,346,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The thing is people move to New Orleans and want to be a part of the city and culture. There are lots of people moving there and wanting to live in Mid-City or downtown. People are still moving to Jeff parish and the northshore but I don't think it would water down the culture like suggested.
Baton Rouge is a different animal, we're less cultured, less developed in the 19th century, etc. We have plenty of urban neighborhoods but they are mostly ghetto.
There you go misusing that word.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,452,309 times
With the exception of New Orleans, which if developed properly could be a huge, vibrant, and lively urban center...I think the rest of the cities would more or less look and feel the same. I mean, just look at how similar Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have continued to become.

I think Raleigh and Austin would be the most successful, due to their highly educated populace and white collar economies. Those two cities at 6 million (that is, assuming their economies were just larger versions of what they are now) wouldn't be far from competing with Boston and San Francisco.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,994,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do you ever post anything where you're not running down another city as the scum of the earth to raise up New Orleans?

Aren't you the same one that acts like a Houston backer, but as soon as NO comes into the picture then Houston needs to be nuked from orbit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or