U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer to live in
Phoenix 60 37.97%
Tampa Bay 98 62.03%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,740,772 times

Advertisements

Comparing in these factors

Weather
Diversity
Crime
Jobs
Food
Entertainment
Theme Parks
Architecture
Cost of Living
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:33 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,997,615 times
Weather: phoenix by a mile.
Diversity: phoenix?
Crime: i dunno, prolly around the same
Jobs: neither?
Food: phoenix
Theme Parks: tampa

overall: i would prefer being in the tampa bay area to the phoenix area, primarily because of the ocean.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM

5,726 posts, read 8,832,971 times
Weather: Tampa Bay
Diversity: I don't know. Phoenix?
Crime: Tampa Bay
Jobs: Not sure
Food: Ehh, tie.
Entertainment: Not sure
Theme Parks: Tampa Bay of course
Architecture: Tampa Bay
Cost of Living: I think they're both pretty low.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM

9,920 posts, read 19,780,089 times
Phoenix, I'd rather be out West.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM

25 posts, read 35,410 times
Weather - Phoenix. I'll take 110 dry heat over 90's and humid.
Diversity - Depends so tie
Crime - Tampa. South-central Phoenix has some pretty rough areas comparable to LA.
Jobs - Depends on the field so tie
Food - Phoenix.
Entertainment - Phoenix. Mill Avenue by Arizona State and Old Town Scottsdale have some of the highest concentration of bars/nightlife in the country.
Theme Parks - Tampa. Phoenix doesn't have any theme parks.
Architecture - Both of the downtowns are kinda average, but probably Tampa.
Cost of Living - Both are average.

I prefer Phoenix because I like being out West better, plus Vegas, LA and San Diego are short drives. Tampa is nice and is close to Miami and some of the nicest beaches in the country like Siesta Key.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,539,402 times
Weather Phoenix
Diversity Phoenix
Crime Phoenix
Jobs Phoenix
Food Phoenix
Entertainment Phoenix
Theme Parks Tampa
Architecture Phoenix
Cost of Living Phoenix

Not even close.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 PM

16,160 posts, read 26,962,172 times
Tampa simply for the beaches and weather. If its gonna be hot as hell I'd rather have it be green and lush than bone dry desert.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,096,932 times
What a lot of people don't realize is that these two feel about the same size. Tampa has a similar density makeup to Phoenix in a good portion of areas, it's very tightly knit neighborhoods even though the bulk are single family homes. Tampa Bay Area is technically an area with 4.3 million people and very much the size of Phoenix or Seattle. It's one of the few areas that continues to take it in the shin by the census bureau (along with Cincinnati, Detroit, and Raleigh).

Anyhow with the comparison geographically they're evenly matched as it comes down to what you prefer most. Like others have mentioned one is a beautiful desert setting and desert vegetation, while the other is very tree covered and lush. One has mountains towering the area, the other has a coastline. It comes down to being coast-less or mountain-less. Some prefer to hike, others prefer to swim. Some prefer to go biking on mountain trails others prefer to jet skii. Some prefer a cruising long drive twirling along mountains and others prefer boating across the bay. It's all preference here.

As for professional sports, I think Phoenix takes this one. It has a team in all 4 major sports: NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB. Tampa only lacks NBA and they both have struggling markets for NHL, last I heard. Phoenix would probably have better sports venues, their football stadium is most likely one of the best in the country, if not top 5 easily.

Phoenix is close to places of interest with history and ancient artifacts centered around Montezuma's castle, while Tampa is more of a family theme park type destination with Busch Gardens, Legoland, A. Both have excellent wildlife zoo's/areas to see interesting animals.

As for big city amenities, both have international airports, Phoenix's Skyharbor is an up and coming airport and both have a good network of connections from their primary airport. Both also have secondary airports as well with Gateway and Saint Petersburg Airports, roughly about an equal number of destinations from both. Tampa Bay Area has Sarasota International as a third airport but overall it balances out since Skyharbor is well ahead of any Tampa Bay Area airports. Aside from that, both areas seem to have the essential shopping options (definitely win goes to Phoenix), restaurants (probably a toss up), cultural institutions (museums, theater, art galleries, so on).

Phoenix definitely from my experience takes the infrastructure argument with the light rail and the roads are quite modern and efficient, not that Tampa's are bad or anything.

Overall, I see the most potential in these two areas, it's sort of ironic because even before they were compared I've always grouped the two together and have always thought about how much potential they have and I'm sure they'll both use it and become better cities in the process one day. It's a very evenly matched contest here between the two and I find both to be underrated on this forum for what they do have. Sure they both can use more work downtown (both have similar vibrancy issues with it) but they're most likely moving in the right direction. Both are up and coming for diversity and already have decent bases for that.

Too close of a call for me. In a complimentary way to one another, they seem to cancel each other out. On an additional note, Phoenix is the more important city economically and general, has the healthier and larger economy but Tampa has a lot of potential. I love both Arizona and Florida and both have some stellar places to visit nearby with: Flagstaff, Sedona, Tucson, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Saint Augustine, Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Emerald Coast, Savannah, maybe even Jacksonville and so on.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:20 AM

2,176 posts, read 3,266,229 times
Weather- both are horrible in the summer with mild winters (tie)
Diversity Tampa
Crime Tampa has higher crime
Jobs Phoenix
Food Phoenix
Entertainment Tie Tampa has access to water and Phoenix has access to mountains and hiking trails
Theme Parks Tampa
Architecture Tampa
Cost of Living Tie

I vote Tampa because I'm more of a beach person than a mountain climber.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:15 AM

112 posts, read 156,006 times
Easy, Tampa Bay....with bayside Water, Beach Water,
Clearwater- great beach
Sarasota-Siesta Beach #1 beach in USA (although about 45min south driving fast)
Tarpon Springs area - great Greek Food and culture
St Pete, just right across CCC or the "Frankenstein"
Cuban/Honduran cigar factories
Cuban and Spanish (truly) food
Port Manatee-shipping
great boating- hey, I'm a boater okay ?
Fresh fish everywhere - hey, I like fish okay ?
Great sports, pro football, pro baseball. spring training everywhere, pro hockey, pro soccer
Gator hunting , hey I like gator tail okay ?
Fresh Fresh Fresh Orange Juice/citrus/tomatoes -- home to Tropicana !
World Class gentlemen's clubs, if you like that sort of thing
Cruise ship departures
Super Airport/service
People from all over the nation, and the world
Like Phoenix, Tampa Bay's GOLF courses
Offshore Super Boat Festivals/Racing
St Pete Formula 1 racing
USF Bulls
USF grad school
Stetson Law
New College
Gasparilla
Hurricane parties....
Offshore diving

Better International flights and connections
closer to the "East Coast"....NYC, Boston, DC, Montreal !
Close to Orlando
Drive to fantastic Miami and South Beach ! now match South Beach ! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or