Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 AM

104 posts, read 141,711 times

Advertisements

Hi all! So I have been applying to jobs in several cities and thus far, the best offers I've received are in ATL and Philly. Both are great facilities and would be a great learning opportunity for me. I am a single african american female. I really value education and like minded individuals. I know ATL has this type of population BUT I really love urban walkable cities...and ATL doesn't have this. I was hoping anyone could weigh in on which city they think would be best for me given I'm looking for:

1. Vibrant fast pace
2. Walkable
3. Good transportation
4. Educated population
5. Events and concerts
6. Good nightlife

Thank you so much anyone that can help. I have until monday to make up my mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic1 View Post
Hi all! So I have been applying to jobs in several cities and thus far, the best offers I've received are in ATL and Philly. Both are great facilities and would be a great learning opportunity for me. I am a single african american female. I really value education and like minded individuals. I know ATL has this type of population BUT I really love urban walkable cities...and ATL doesn't have this. I was hoping anyone could weigh in on which city they think would be best for me given I'm looking for:

1. Vibrant fast pace Philly
2. Walkable Philly
3. Good transportation Philly
4. Educated population Atlanta
5. Events and concerts Atlanta
6. Good nightlife Atlanta

Thank you so much anyone that can help. I have until monday to make up my mind
Tie.But if you count cost of living,economy and weather,I would say Atlanta wins

Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
1. Vibrant fast pace- Philly
2. Walkable- Philly
3. Good transportation- Philly
4. Educated population- core of the city= Philly. City outside the core= Atl. Suburbs= Tie. Overall- tie.
5. Events and concerts- tie
6. Good nightlife- Upscale bars and AA nightlife= Atlanta. Everything else= Philly. So therefore= tie.

Overall I think Philly. It's more built out and more of what you would expect a city to be. Atlanta just feels like a giant suburbs connecting a few really small nodes of urbanity. Very little in the way of what you would expect a major city to offer.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Atlanta

/thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:00 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Tie.But if you count cost of living,economy and weather,I would say Atlanta wins
Weather may be subjective and both offer employment offers. I don't know if 5 and 6 are that far apart either. It may depend on pay and getting a feel for both cities/areas.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Atlanta is a mecca for black professionals.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Weather may be subjective and both offer employment offers. I don't know if 5 and 6 are that far apart either. It may depend on pay and getting a feel for both cities/areas.
True.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
1. Vibrant fast pace- Philly
2. Walkable- Philly
3. Good transportation- Philly
4. Educated population- core of the city= Philly. City outside the core= Atl. Suburbs= Tie. Overall- tie.
6. Good nightlife- Upscale bars and AA nightlife= Atlanta. Everything else= Philly. So therefore= tie.

Overall I think Philly. It's more built out and more of what you would expect a city to be. Atlanta just feels like a giant suburbs connecting a few really small nodes of urbanity. Very little in the way of what you would expect a major city to offer.
Atlanta is no where built out like Philly but there are large areas with urbanity.
Atlanta is a modern type of city where the balance is changing but offers more versatility in living options in a more affordable and newer built up environment that is appealing to many people.

To say that there "is very little" considering that half of the largest cities in the U.S. are laid out in similar fashion is ignoring that this is today's reality for the fastest growing cities.
s also misleading to say "small nodes of urbanity".Smaller than Philly but not small.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Atlanta is a mecca for black professionals.
Oh really?

Is ATLANTA a BLACK MECCA?..NO....Please dont believe that LIE! - YouTube

Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
s also misleading to say "small nodes of urbanity".Smaller than Philly but not small.
San Fran or Boston is smaller than Philly. In comparison Atlanta has museum piece sized artifacts of urbanity compared to Philly. Atlanta is in the suburban amalgamate category of cities. Is there a single place in Atlanta as a professional you could realistically live without a car? Step out on to the street and cross dozens of other professionals before you walk a block?

After checking trulia's rental's for downtown atlanta, I can assure you, atlanta has no urban. In fact the idea of renting in one of those 3 buildings looking for the urban lifestyle is frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
On stubhub for the next 30 days of events -
Pennsylvania Philadelphia (423)
Georgia Atlanta (126)

Last edited by MikeNigh; 06-06-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City