Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would would you rather visit?
Atlanta 41 21.47%
San Diego 85 44.50%
Seattle 65 34.03%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:38 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I'm not sure how you could objectively argue that downtown San Diego is better than downtown Seattle. Based on what criteria?

Also - how does Seattle have the worst food of the three? It currently has one of the most revered culinary scenes in the country (Seattle Episode: The Layover With Anthony Bourdain: Travel Channel), along with outstanding seafood, excellent Asian food, a diverse offering of virtually any ethnic cuisine you could want, the best farmer's market in the country, an emphasis on quality meat and produce. I don't see how San Diego or Atlanta come close, to be honest.
I just spent several days in Seattle and its dining scene seemed eerily similar to Atlanta (I travel for business a lot and this was the first city I would say this about). Atlanta definitely "comes close" to it at least. Both cities have a huge emphasis on farm to table cooking, albeit in different genres. In both cities, typical old-fashioned "fancy" restaurants have fallen by the wayside quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I just spent several days in Seattle and its dining scene seemed eerily similar to Atlanta (I travel for business a lot and this was the first city I would say this about). Atlanta definitely "comes close" to it at least. Both cities have a huge emphasis on farm to table cooking, albeit in different genres. In both cities, typical old-fashioned "fancy" restaurants have fallen by the wayside quite a bit.
Admittedly, I have not been to Atlanta since early 2008, so I was basing my statement on my experience during that time. It sounds like things have changed, so perhaps I stand corrected! Although, it would hard for me to believe that Atlanta has Seafood or Southeast Asian cuisine that is comparable to Seattle's.

I was in San Diego last year, and I can safely say it doesn't come close to Seattle (aside from, of course, taquerias and mexican food in general)

Old 04-23-2013, 01:27 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Admittedly, I have not been to Atlanta since early 2008, so I was basing my statement on my experience during that time. It sounds like things have changed, so perhaps I stand corrected! Although, it would hard for me to believe that Atlanta has Seafood or Southeast Asian cuisine that is comparable to Seattle's.

I was in San Diego last year, and I can safely say it doesn't come close to Seattle (aside from, of course, taquerias and mexican food in general)
Yes, Atlanta may lag in those areas just as it's hard to imagine Seattle has been at the forefront of new southern cuisine. I mentioned the genres were different. (Atlanta's Mexican food is relentlessly mediocre, for the record.)

And yeah, many or most of the top foodie restaurants today didn't exist 5 years ago. No doubt about that.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:40 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Architecture- Seattle - Atlanta - San Diego
Diversity- SD, Seattle, Atlanta
Downtown-Seattle, SD, Atl
Culture-Seattle, SD, Atl
Economy - Future?- Seattle, ATL, SD
Food - Pricing and Diversity- Seattle, SD, ATL
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban- Urban/Seattle, SD, Atl Suburbs/SD, Seattle, Atl
Nightlife- ATL, SD, Seattle
Parks- Seattle
Safety- Seattle & SD tied, Atl much less so
Shopping- Atl, SD, Seattle
Weather- SD all day, Atl, Seattle

I live near Seattle but rather live in SD if the cost and taxes and jobs were closer. I also like Atl quite well. Even though most of my ratings show Seattle at the top, to me SD is the best city in the US and Seattle is top 5 and Atl top 10...jmo

Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, Atlanta may lag in those areas just as it's hard to imagine Seattle has been at the forefront of new southern cuisine. I mentioned the genres were different. (Atlanta's Mexican food is relentlessly mediocre, for the record.)

And yeah, many or most of the top foodie restaurants today didn't exist 5 years ago. No doubt about that.
If you check out Anthony Bourdain's Atlanta Layover edition which aired recently, http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-show...isodes/atlantayou will see that it is true that there are similarities in the cities dining. It's just that, like stated above, Seattles forte seems to be Seafood and Asian, Mexican cuisine while Atlanta's is more Southern but there is much authentic Asian and Mexican (see part on Buford Highway Market and Sweet Auburn) to be found here as well. Plenty of Farm fresh products to the table in both, which shouldn't be a surprise in Atlanta considering Georgia is one of the countries biggest and most varied agricultural producers.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

176 posts, read 348,702 times
I voted for Seattle because i'd go in the summer time and I'm in love with the geography of the area.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
These are three cities I've lived in. Overall, I'd say Seattle is the best to visit while Atlanta is the best to live in. I wouldn't mind to visit or even live in SD again, but I probably won't if I don't have to (the Navy sends me there). I think Atlanta has the best weather of the three, since it has changing seasons but with mild winters. Seattle is too rainy and SD is too dry. One downside of ATL is that it is a lot more dangerous the other two, and it has racial/class tensions (which is probably the main cause of the crime problem).

Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,135 times
I will go down the list of criterea, but seriously- who in their right mind would "vacation" in Atlanta???? Charleston I get. But Atlanta is more along the Dallas/Charlotte/Indy grouping of big money towns were business is abundant but things to do and natural attractions are nearly nonexistant.
Architecture- Seattle
Diversity- Do people select a location for a vacation based upon diversity???
Downtown- Seattle
Culture- Seattle
Economy - Future?- What does that have to do with vacation? What's the future of Santa Fe, New Mexico? WHo cares, it is a great place to visit. Similarly, I'd bet North Dakota has a good future, but I wouldn't visit it.
Food - Pricing and Diversity- I think it's a wash.
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban- Again, confused as to why suburban housing would factor into a vacation. I get people enjoying walking in urban neighborhoods on vacation (NYC, parts of SF), but who looks towards suburban neighborhoods to vacation?
Nightlife- depends on your definition and your racial background.
Parks- Seattle or San Diego. Seriously, there isn't anything natural in Atlanta that is noteworthy.
Safety- Seattle or San Diego.
Shopping- I'd say Seattle b/c of its centralized downtown.
Weather- San Diego, unless you like humidity. Seattle is nice in the summer as well. Atlanta is, well, oppresively humid and unpleasant.

In short, only Seattle and San Diego are even reasonable vacation options. I live in San Diego, so I'd pick Seattle. If I didn't live in San Diego, I'd probably pick San Diego. But I'd probably pick Hawaii, or a place like Montana or the central coast of California for vacation over any of these cities. Paris, NYC, and Washington, D.C. are the only cities I'd plan a vacation around. Otherwise I'd opt for a region or nature.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:53 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
These are three cities I've lived in. Overall, I'd say Seattle is the best to visit while Atlanta is the best to live in. I wouldn't mind to visit or even live in SD again, but I probably won't if I don't have to (the Navy sends me there). I think Atlanta has the best weather of the three, since it has changing seasons but with mild winters. Seattle is too rainy and SD is too dry. One downside of ATL is that it is a lot more dangerous the other two, and it has racial/class tensions (which is probably the main cause of the crime problem).
Finally someone I think got it half right. People keep talking about the racial tension in Atlanta but I think it's really about class tension. The problem is poor people in Atlanta love robbing wealthier people. That goes for poor blacks robbing wealthy blacks too not just whites.

In Atlanta just like every other major American city blacks are more likely to be poor than whites but there is an abundance of middle class and wealthy blacks in Atlanta too and for the most part middle class and wealthy whites and blacks get along well so it's not a race issue it's a class one.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,348,303 times
I have lived in Atlanta and San Diego and visited Seattle multiple times. I would choose Seattle during the perfect late summer and early fall months, atlanta in late October when the leaves change, SD the rest of the year. Best line I ever heard about Atlanta: it's a lousy place to visit, but a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City