Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 43,084 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated for work. We have the choice between Nashville or Atlanta. I dont really know much about either.

We are looking for a very family friendly area. Good schools. Lots of kids. Safe. Lots of kids events and things to do. The biggest concern is which area has better schools.

We also have to be within easy driving distance of an airport.

Could you provide us with some insight?

Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 PM

811 posts, read 1,047,005 times
How close do you need to be to the airport?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM

preferably 30 min. No more than 45

Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM

3,692 posts, read 5,934,858 times
Where is your job? At the airport, or at another location?

Peachtree City (suburb of Atlanta) nails all of your requirements, but if you have to work in northern Atlanta it is unworkable.

Another thing to take into account is the level of flight service the airport has (if your job has a high amount of travel). Atlanta has a plethora of direct flights to just about everywhere you would ever want to go. Nashville, not so much. It's not terrible, but not great either.

Nashville's big advantage is you can live basically anywhere in the metro and not have a bad commute. In Atlanta, you are a lot more constrained by traffic and the overall size of the city.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:56 PM

I believe the locations of the offices are just southeast of Nashville or north of Atlanta near Smyrna

He will be traveling a lot for work, which is why the airport location is important. He is a mobile employee, so the location of the office is not as important as he wouldnt have to go in very often

Old 04-20-2013, 03:10 PM

811 posts, read 1,047,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katieghill View Post
I believe the locations of the offices are just southeast of Nashville or north of Atlanta near Smyrna

He will be traveling a lot for work, which is why the airport location is important. He is a mobile employee, so the location of the office is not as important as he wouldnt have to go in very often
A quick drive down I-285 (< 30 minutes) to the airport by way of Camp Creek Parkway from Smyrna.

However, the schools aren't the best in that area.

In less than 45 minutes to the airport with good schools, you might be able to make it from the Dallas Highway area (Lost Mountain districts/Harrison or Hillgrove/Lovinggood) You'd have to take Barrett Parkway to Powder Springs Road to US 278/Thornton/Camp Creek, most likely. To get to Smyrna, you'd have to take Barrett Parkway/East West Connector into Smyrna (maybe 20-25 minutes)

That said, Nashville has shorter commute times and is quicker to the airport from about anywhere in the metro, as it's a much smaller city. It's also got some nice areas.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,258,832 times
Budget?

For Nashville, if the office is to the southeast of town (depending how far southeast) and you need access easy access to the airport, anywhere from Mount Juliet (quickest airport access), Smyrna (the Tennessee one, and on the southeast side of town), or Brentwood/Franklin (better schools, but pricier).

Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,528 times
Good schools. Lots of kids. Safe. Lots of kids events and things to do

Good schools depends what area you live in some are horrible and some are good heres a tip Good Schools (Fayette County, Fayette County, North Fulton, Newton County, and Coweta County. Bad Schools (South Fulton County, Clayton County, Parts of Cobb, and the rest of the metro.

Laugh out loud Atlanta is full of kids unless you live in a relatively remote area but your kids are always bound to find lots of kids no doubt.

Atlanta's safety can vary all of the counties that I named that have good schools are safe from most crime. The crime usaully in Atlanta is common sense I was born here and I know that when crime happens her it is a cause. 81% of the Atlanta crime happens in South Fulton or North Clayton. Metro can be dangerous if your not cautious.

There 2 many things to do in Atlanta. Everyone has fairs and attractions. Metro has many history and places for your kids to enjoy. You really should never get bored here half the things are free!! Anyways ive been to Nashville and it lacks the History, Culture and Diversity that Atlanta supports. Atlanta also has a better skyline I hope you enjoy your stay in Hotlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City