U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Chicago 87 60.42%
Los Angeles 57 39.58%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,045,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Have you ever actually spent any time here?
What are you talking about? My freaking mother lives in Chicago. I'm not going to make a claim like this about the city if I haven't been there.

What I meant is that Chicago is more or less the typical Northern city, on a much larger scale. It may have a larger international presence, but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then what is Indy? A small, supremely ultra-generic city?
You Chicagoans are so defensive it isn't even funny. What in the hell does Indianapolis have to do with LA being more interesting than Chicago? Please tell me--I'm aching to know.

Indy is a fairly generic city too and I never said it wasn't. I suppose the difference between people from Indy and people from Chicago is that people from Indy aren't insecure about being compared to other cities, particularly LA and NYC.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:05 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,522,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You Chicagoans are so defensive it isn't even funny. What in the hell does Indianapolis have to do with LA being more interesting than Chicago? Please tell me--I'm aching to know.

Indy is a fairly generic city too and I never said it wasn't. I suppose the difference between people from Indy and people from Chicago is that people from Indy aren't insecure about being compared to other cities, particularly LA and NYC.
I don't think I've ever seen Indy compared to LA or NYC. It's a small town that's recently reinvented itself and a very nice city for its size. And for being in the midwest it's reasonably surprising that any city outside of Chicago has national recognition. Just go with it.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:16 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,897,300 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? My freaking mother lives in Chicago. I'm not going to make a claim like this about the city if I haven't been there.

What I meant is that Chicago is more or less the typical Northern city, on a much larger scale. It may have a larger international presence, but that's it.
And it never occurred to you that the things that give Chicago an international presence also make it a little different than your standard Midwest city? Or why it even has an international presence in the first place while places like, say, Cleveland or Milwaukee don't?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:21 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,230,663 times
I would pick LA.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
And it never occurred to you that the things that give Chicago an international presence also make it a little different than your standard Midwest city? Or why it even has an international presence in the first place while places like, say, Cleveland or Milwaukee don't?
You just don't get it. There is no city remotely close to what LA represents. Chicago is unique, but not to the degree of LA. That's it, that's all. Nothing more.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,897,300 times
Quote:
You just don't get it. There is no city remotely close to what LA represents. Chicago is unique, but not to the degree of LA. That's it, that's all. Nothing more.
I have no quarrel with the notion that Chicago is not L.A. My quarrel is with the notion that Chicago is no different than your standard Midwest city except in scale only. Chicago has countless world-class institutions that other Midwest cities just don't have in theater, arts, culture, architecture, entertainment, the culinary scene, etc., that make it far more than just a "generic big city."

Old 01-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I have no quarrel with the notion that Chicago is not L.A. My quarrel is with the notion that Chicago is no different than your standard Midwest city except in scale only. Chicago has countless world-class institutions that other Midwest cities just don't have in theater, arts, culture, architecture, entertainment, the culinary scene, etc., that make it far more than just a "generic big city."
Alright, fine. I'm not going to entertain this argument any further but I will say this--I just feel that Chicago is not terribly different from NYC or Philadelphia or Boston, but hey--now it's Burger King, you can have it your way!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,049,477 times
i would go with chicago because it's 4 seasons, a beter downtown imo, and it's overall better (for me). La's not too bad though
oh and there are 100 times more skyscrapers in Chicago

Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 AM

85,031 posts, read 98,929,643 times
Quote:
Minneapolis/St.Paul, for its size, probably has as much of the above, per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City