U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2013, 12:14 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,911 posts, read 18,419,489 times
Reputation: 6603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
I hope Fort Worth, Charlotte and NOLA never get MLB teams - all 3 Are country, small and have low quality sports culture.
.... ok... let's get a few things straight here:

Starting with Fort Worth, (1.) technically we already have MLB. The Rangers. They are and always have been in OUR county since they moved to the Metroplex, and that was before it was even called that. If there is another MLB club in DFW someday, it'll be in Dallas. After all, there have been talks of having a ballpark close to Downtown Dallas for some time now and during the time when Mark Cuban tried to buy the team. People were afraid he'd try to lease out The Ballpark in Arlington and build another to move the Rangers to Dallas. And (2.), we share our market with Dallas, so no, it's not "small".

Now, New Orleans... it ain't happening. Face it, it's not really a baseball town and if they lost the Pelicans TOMORROW, I doubt it would be all that heartbreaking. You think for one second that city will support an MLB team as much as the Saints, you're kidding yourself.

Charlotte is the only one of those 3 (ok, really just 2 between Charlotte and New Orleans, as I mentioned FW has a team pretty much) to get a baseball team sometime in the not too distant future. I said it would be Charlotte and San Antonio to fill in those 2 spots to make it 32.

As for that last lil' line about the three cities being "country, small and having low quality sports culture"... you've NEVER been to these cities, have you?
Come to Fort Worth during Race Week or on Friday nights when the downtown is all decked in purple for TCU football games or when the lights are colored red white and blue for the Rangers during the season.
Charlotte is TWICE the sports town Atlanta and Miami are. In fact, you could argue it's the best sports town in the southeast.
And though New Orleans is a "football above all" town, it's still a hell of a great place to host sporting events. One of the best in the nation, frankly.

You may wanna THINK about the things you want to type before you type them...

Last edited by JJG; 07-07-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 AM
 
364 posts, read 502,676 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... ok... let's get a few things straight here:

Starting with Fort Worth, (1.) technically we already have MLB. The Rangers. They are and always have been in OUR county since they moved to the Metroplex, and that was before it was even called that. If there is another MLB club in DFW someday, it'll be in Dallas. After all, there have been talks of having a ballpark close to Downtown Dallas for some time now and during the time when Mark Cuban tried to buy the team. People were afraid he'd try to lease out The Ballpark in Arlington and build another to move the Rangers to Dallas. And (2.), we share our market with Dallas, so no, it's not "small".

Now, New Orleans... it ain't happening. Face it, it's not really a baseball town and if they lost the Pelicans TOMORROW, I doubt it would be all that heartbreaking. You think for one second that city will support an MLB team as much as the Saints, you're kidding yourself.

Charlotte is the only one of those 3 (ok, really just 2 between Charlotte and New Orleans, as I mentioned FW has a team pretty much) to get a baseball team sometime in the not too distant future. I said it would be Charlotte and San Antonio to fill in those 2 spots to make it 32.

As for that last lil' line about the three cities being "country, small and having low quality sports culture"... you've NEVER been to these cities, have you?
Come to Fort Worth during Race Week or on Friday nights when the downtown is all decked in purple for TCU football games or when the lights are colored red white and blue for the Rangers during the season.
Charlotte is TWICE the sports town Atlanta and Miami are. In fact, you could argue it's the best sports town in the southeast.
And though New Orleans is a "football above all" town, it's still a hell of a great place to host sporting events. One of the best in the nation, frankly.

You may wanna THINK about the things you want to type before you type them...
The rangers belong to Dallas, that cow town of Fort Worth just leeches

And yeah, I have been to all 3 of them. Lived in Dallas Area and Charlotte and visited NOLA? And the tcu description sounds tacky, I'll pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
12,911 posts, read 18,419,489 times
Reputation: 6603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
The rangers belong to Dallas, that cow town of Fort Worth just leeches

And yeah, I have been to all 3 of them. Lived in Dallas Area and Charlotte and visited NOLA? And the tcu description sounds tacky, I'll pass
Oh good lord, it's another one of you guys...

Anyone else wanna respond to this troll? I've already done enough correcting for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,716,549 times
Reputation: 8385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I know what a Krewe is, but it doesn't sound like a name for a sports team. IMO, that would sound forced. Like the organization would be trying too hard to sound different.

After all, the Pelican is still the state bird, so more people from outside the state would understand that, at least.
Knicks, Celtics, Heat, Yankees, Steelers, Ducks, Bucks, Lakers, Sonics, Saints, Red Sox, White Sox, Texans, Stars, etc don't sound like sports teams. Everyone in the area likes the name Krewe, we are not trying to impress other NBA fans from outside of the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
I hope Fort Worth, Charlotte and NOLA never get MLB teams - all 3 Are country, small and have low quality sports culture.
WHO DAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,395,364 times
Reputation: 8770
Not sure if this has been posted already but there aren't really any new cities that can support an MLB team. Out of all the MSA's only Riverside-San Bernardino was deemed sufficient and that's pretty much already Dodger/Angels country. Seven cities are considered borderline:

1) Montreal
2) Bridgeport, CT
3) Vegas
4) VA Beach
5) Providence
6) Austin
7) Harford

Baseball has few options for expansion markets - The Business Journals

Could Your City Give a Sports Team a Good Home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,406 posts, read 2,175,654 times
Reputation: 1268
Wow, Bridgeport is a place I never would have considered. Montreal is actually a pretty good choice. They supported the Expos for a long time and it would be kind of neat for there to be another Canadian team again.

If they can get around the whole gambling thing Vegas would be a good choice, especially if there was an easy way for the tourists to get there.

Virginia Beach might make sense. It is kind of odd that Virginia has no teams, but a lot of people from VA just root for the DC teams.

And I may have made this comment before, but I also think it might be interesting to try a team in either Monterrey or Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2013, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Denver
13,976 posts, read 18,716,549 times
Reputation: 8385
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

And I may have made this comment before, but I also think it might be interesting to try a team in either Monterrey or Mexico City.
Mexico City would be awesome. I think the Astros, Rangers, Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and Angels would fight it tooth and nail as many Mexican transplants might switch there allegiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already but there aren't really any new cities that can support an MLB team. Out of all the MSA's only Riverside-San Bernardino was deemed sufficient and that's pretty much already Dodger/Angels country. Seven cities are considered borderline:

1) Montreal
2) Bridgeport, CT
3) Vegas
4) VA Beach
5) Providence
6) Austin
7) Harford

Baseball has few options for expansion markets - The Business Journals

Could Your City Give a Sports Team a Good Home?
I hate to bring up a dying thread, but I couldn't let this post go. Total personal income is a silly way to judge an area's worthiness. For starters, the methodology of the link above does not take into account college sports expenses nor does it account for cost of living. Markets with twice as much income (and twice as many people) as Memphis probably have twice as much in real estate, dining, and general entertainment expenses. If you don't believe me, look up the price of real estate in San Fran vs Memphis, Charlotte, and Nashville. Next, look up the median incomes of these cities. When you find your numbers, it's clear that San Fran residents are spending lots of money on the "basics" that Sunbelt residents are not spending their money on. Your link above never even bothered to look at this one important factor.

As a result, cities like Memphis are just as "MLB-worthy" as much larger cities. Also, there are several current MLB cities that are "unworthy" by the TPI standard given above. By my calculations, MLB would only be a 13-16 team league if only TPI-worthy cities had teams. I'm not sure who was behind those numbers, but it seems to me that there was an agenda behind this so-called "study".

With that said, here's how major league baseball expansion really works. It's all about knowing the right people. Look at Milwaukee for example (MLB's smallest market) then look up the history of Bud Selig.

Bud Selig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^You see, when it comes to quite a few Midwestern markets (Milwaukee especially), TPI blah-blah-blah flies right out the window. Truth-be-told, if young Selig had his way, the Braves never would have left Milwaukee (his stagnant Midwestern home town) for Atlanta (the booming "New South" city with tons of promise).

MLB is very old with a great deal of history. It was born from the Midwest then slowly branched out from there. Today, MLB (in typical Midwestern fashion) has issues with the south. I'm not talking about players and owners; I'm talking about Bud. I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think the traditional south (southern markets outside of Florida) stands a chance with this proud Milwaukee man. The good news for the south is that Bud is old, and his replacement will come soon. I'm not wishing death on the man; I'm just saying that he will probably step down soon to enjoy his retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,404 posts, read 24,395,364 times
Reputation: 8770
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I hate to bring up a dying thread, but I couldn't let this post go. Total personal income is a silly way to judge an area's worthiness. For starters, the methodology of the link above does not take into account college sports expenses nor does it account for cost of living. Markets with twice as much income (and twice as many people) as Memphis probably have twice as much in real estate, dining, and general entertainment expenses. If you don't believe me, look up the price of real estate in San Fran vs Memphis, Charlotte, and Nashville. Next, look up the median incomes of these cities. When you find your numbers, it's clear that San Fran residents are spending lots of money on the "basics" that Sunbelt residents are not spending their money on. Your link above never even bothered to look at this one important factor.

As a result, cities like Memphis are just as "MLB-worthy" as much larger cities. Also, there are several current MLB cities that are "unworthy" by the TPI standard given above. By my calculations, MLB would only be a 13-16 team league if only TPI-worthy cities had teams. I'm not sure who was behind those numbers, but it seems to me that there was an agenda behind this so-called "study".

With that said, here's how major league baseball expansion really works. It's all about knowing the right people. Look at Milwaukee for example (MLB's smallest market) then look up the history of Bud Selig.

Bud Selig - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^^^You see, when it comes to quite a few Midwestern markets (Milwaukee especially), TPI blah-blah-blah flies right out the window. Truth-be-told, if young Selig had his way, the Braves never would have left Milwaukee (his stagnant Midwestern home town) for Atlanta (the booming "New South" city with tons of promise).

MLB is very old with a great deal of history. It was born from the Midwest then slowly branched out from there. Today, MLB (in typical Midwestern fashion) has issues with the south. I'm not talking about players and owners; I'm talking about Bud. I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think the traditional south (southern markets outside of Florida) stands a chance with this proud Milwaukee man. The good news for the south is that Bud is old, and his replacement will come soon. I'm not wishing death on the man; I'm just saying that he will probably step down soon to enjoy his retirement.
I don't see how it's "silly" at all and TPI is a much better indicator than simply looking at population like everyone else is doing here.

People need money to spend to go to games. Places like SF, NY, etc..are expensive but incomes are higher. You seem to make some automatic assumption that people are less likely to be able to afford to go to sporting events yet these bigger markets are where the most profitable and valuable teams are. Memphis, Charlottle, and Nashville already have professional teams and their median incomes aren't that high.

I get it, people simply want to make a case for their own city for a new team but I'm going to lean using a study that look at this stuff over some amateur hour thread on city-data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 PM
 
6,249 posts, read 9,658,342 times
Reputation: 4661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't see how it's "silly" at all and TPI is a much better indicator than simply looking at population like everyone else is doing here.

People need money to spend to go to games. Places like SF, NY, etc..are expensive but incomes are higher. You seem to make some automatic assumption that people are less likely to be able to afford to go to sporting events yet these bigger markets are where the most profitable and valuable teams are. Memphis, Charlottle, and Nashville already have professional teams and their median incomes aren't that high.

I get it, people simply want to make a case for their own city for a new team but I'm going to lean using a study that look at this stuff over some amateur hour thread on city-data.
Based on TPI, 12-15 current MLB teams should go away. Nuff said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top