Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:58 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,708 times

Advertisements

Actually, come to think of it..it's more like 80% live within 10-12 miles from downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Your right its NOT in the top 25 its currently in the top 50 BUT I think we will/can move up the latter. Also its only so far it can go up as for as population goes because of our demographics but Orleans parish can hold double what it has NOW easily and other parts can hold a more ESPECIALLY the NORTHSHORE and N.O. EAST and let the truth be told Biloxi Area should be apart of our Metro.

By the way I totally agree with you "pound for pound" NOLA is a force to be reckoned with I call it the Floyd Maywheather of cities lol....
New Orleans should be able to move up the ladder a little, but it won't be like other cities are sitting still. New Orleans should be able to pass Richmond and Louisville by the next census. Maybe Memphis. OKC is growing quickly and will probably stay ahead. New Orleans should eventually overtake Milwaukee and Providence, but those Metros are like 300,000 ahead so that will take a couple of decades. And New Orleans needs to watch its rearview mirror. Raleigh is just a few spots behind NOLA and will probably pass it in the next census or two. Of course gaining new areas in the metro could change all that. Gulfport and Biloxi are pretty big, but aren't they 75-80 miles away?

I like the Floyd Mayweather comparison.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
I grew up in New Orleans and left after graduating from college. I just spent a month there visiting my ill father and imo, it's never been better. It is still a small city. A part of me could see moving back someday but I think it's a better place to visit than live.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I know what you mean but you're still wrong. Over 80% of the metro are of Nola lives within 15 miles of downtown. Name another American city like that, regardless of the reasons. Also, the majority of our suburbs are not sprawl-like with subdivisions and cul de sacs. They would seriously pass for "the city" in many more sprawling metros. For instance they have street grids, bus lines, and most suburban census tracts are above 5000 ppsm density. Of course these suburs are still ugly, monotonous and car-driven. But they are nothing like the sprawling suburbs of, say, northern Virginia or texas
Isn't that only because it's a small city though? I still think it's suburban outside of it's core though. That's not a bad thing to me.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,248,986 times
To be fair, Raleigh isn't in the same tier. It's one of the few cases where the CSA including Durham is more accurate than the MSA. Raleigh-Durham functions as one metro area and its on a higher level than New Orleans, Jacksonville, Louisville, etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:31 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
To be fair, Raleigh isn't in the same tier. It's one of the few cases where the CSA including Durham is more accurate than the MSA. Raleigh-Durham functions as one metro area and its on a higher level than New Orleans, Jacksonville, Louisville, etc.
Charlotte and Raleigh are both a snooze fest so that statement is not saying much. Cities smaller than NOLA I would rather visit are.....

Albuquerque
Providence
Honolulu
Lake Tahoe
Aspen
The Hamptons
Nantucket
Atlantic City
Spokane
Reno
Santa Barbara
Anchorage
Etc

There are many others, this is just off the top of my head.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Charlotte is a snooze fest so that statement is not saying much. Cities smaller than NOLA I would rather visit are.....
Did you even read what he said? He said Raleigh is in a higher tier. He said nothing about Charlotte whatsover.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Did you even read what he said? He said Raleigh is in a higher tier. He said nothing about Charlotte whatsover.
Thought I was on your ignore? I want to keep it that way!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Now here is my link to NOLA being on Forbes fastest growing cities and Bloomberg fastest growing metro list. Tell me what you think!
A Look Into America's Fastest Growing City - Forbes

The Top 12 American Boomtowns: Fastest Growing Metropolitan Areas* - Bloomberg
Interesting...sort of weird since Forbes said it was the fastest growing city in 2012, but it didn't make their top 20 less than a year later.

Either way, there's nothing to make anyone believe it'll be hitting 2.5-3 million in population any time soon.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:19 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
2011 Figures:
News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Advance 2011, and Revised 2001–2010
in millions
Raleigh MSA + Durham MSA: 98323
New Orleans MSA: 80154
Jacksonville: 60725
Louisville: 59000

In other words, JAX and Louisville would have to grow 1/3 more than they are now to equal New Orleans. New Orleans would only have to grow 25% to reach the combined Raleigh and Durham MSA's. And considering that the Raleigh-Durham CSA (excluding the Dunn micro) has around 1.9 million people, and we have just over 1.2, all the comments about punching well above our weight are pretty well informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City