Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times

Advertisements

That pic shut everybody up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
well here's brooklyn:

http://ferrebeekeeper.files.wordpres...9/barclays.jpg

Old 05-07-2013, 06:27 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think the closest thing to Fulton Mall in Philly is probably Chestnut Street, where a similar pedestrian/bus lane experiment was tried in the 70's/80's, with pretty similar results.
And today, both are pretty crappy/lowbrow for a similar stretch, and both have really nice areas 2-3 blocks away (Brooklyn Heights/Rittenhouse).

I guess comparing Atlantic Center to the Gallery seems apropos.
I am sorry but there is no way you can compare Chestnut Street to the Fulton Street Mall. Chestnut ain't Walnut but it's certainly not terrible (not between 20th and Broad at least). Fulton Street Mall is pretty terrible.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:29 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I am sorry but there is no way you can compare Chestnut Street to the Fulton Street Mall. Chestnut ain't Walnut but it's certainly not terrible (not between 20th and Broad at least). Fulton Street Mall is pretty terrible.
LOL, but you just compared it to Walnut Street! I think there's at least an actual good reason why you could compare it to Chestnut, and I gave that reason in my post.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
LOL, but you just compared it to Walnut Street!
Are you trying to be clever? I "compared" them by saying that one is vastly superior to the other, not that they are of comparable quality.

Quote:
I think there's at least an actual good reason why you could compare it to Chestnut, and I gave that reason in my post.
I am not quite sure what that reason is (bus lane?). Regardless, what I was taking issue with (in case it wasn't abundantly clear) was this statement:

Quote:
And today, both are pretty crappy/lowbrow for a similar stretch
If that's implying that they are similarly crappy that's inaccurate.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Not sure why this thread exists...other than Barclay Center and that outdoor mall, Brooklyn's downtown is almost nonexistent. Now if we're comparing the actual borough of Brooklyn to Philadelphia, it gets much more interesting.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

I am not quite sure what that reason is (bus lane?). Regardless, what I was taking issue with (in case it wasn't abundantly clear) was this statement:

If that's implying that they are similarly crappy that's inaccurate.
What I was talking about was that Fulton Street, and Chestnut Street were struggling commercial streets that both underwent very similar renovations in the 80's to transfrorm them into pedestrian malls, closed to traffic except for public transit. Neither of those renovations were particularly successful, and ultimately Philly basically abandoned the pedestrian mall experiment on Chestnut St street, whereas Fulton Mall inexplicably still exists. I think that shared history makes them a more interesting apples-to-apples comparison than some of these other things, regardless of where exactly each stands on the dumpiness scale at the moment.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
That pic shut everybody up.

Ive been trying to tell these dudes that they underestimate Center City severely .

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...38312187_n.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7...f25de751_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
What I was talking about was that Fulton Street, and Chestnut Street were struggling commercial streets that both underwent very similar renovations in the 80's to transfrorm them into pedestrian malls, closed to traffic except for public transit. Neither of those renovations were particularly successful, and ultimately Philly basically abandoned the pedestrian mall experiment on Chestnut St street, whereas Fulton Mall inexplicably still exists. I think that shared history makes them a more interesting apples-to-apples comparison than some of these other things, regardless of where exactly each stands on the dumpiness scale at the moment.
Okay I see what you are saying. Yes they may have a similar history, but today they are nothing alike.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ive been trying to tell these dudes that they underestimate Center City severely .

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...38312187_n.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7...f25de751_b.jpg
Nice! Especially the second one.

Here's some of Brooklyn. . .

(In this first picture on the left hand side you can see 1WTC in the fog. . . I took this in front of the Barclays Center)

NYC Skyshot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ryanbudhu

Panoramic Views From Gowanus; 18 Gramercy Hits 50% Sold - Curbedwire - Curbed NY

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...psb3567288.jpg

psweeting

Last edited by JMT; 05-08-2013 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City