U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: NoVa vs Charlotte NC
Northern VA 40 57.97%
Charlotte, NC 29 42.03%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 AM
 
1,103 posts, read 1,636,450 times
Reputation: 942

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Lol all of the votes for Charlotte comes from southerners lol.
And your point? Where are you from? I didn't vote because I don't know the DC area all that well, haven't been there since '98 and I would assume that it would be totally different since the last time I visited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,971,944 times
Reputation: 1644
Northern virgina .. Old town Alexandria is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,035,682 times
Reputation: 422
NoVA in everything but COL and rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM
 
27,745 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Reputation: 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Charlotte is more suburban than Arlington or Alexandria, so don't you mean if you want suburban living, you would live in Charlotte. What part of Charlotte is urban compared to Arlington or Alexandria?
Arlington and Alexandria are two historic urban districts amidst a sea of sprawl. Let's not act as though those two places characterize NoVA as a whole. Charlotte has nothing like Tyson's Corner, one of the largest suburban edge cities in the country. I do give it credit for its attempt to urbanize, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
633 posts, read 1,168,591 times
Reputation: 334
I voted for Northern VA, but do you all really think this is a fair comparison?? Comparing a suburb/edge city to a medium sized city!? Charlotte indeed relies on itself. While NoVa relies on the rest of the DC metro including parts of MD. Does NoVa population correlate to Charlottes? If so then I think its a fair comparision. I see NoVa is about 2 million and Charlotte is about the same as well. Is there any vs. thread that Charlotte can win??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
 
1,103 posts, read 1,636,450 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I voted for Northern VA, but do you all really think this is a fair comparison?? Comparing a suburb/edge city to a medium sized city!? Charlotte indeed relies on itself. While NoVa relies on the rest of the DC metro including parts of MD. Does NoVa population correlate to Charlottes? If so then I think its a fair comparision. I see NoVa is about 2 million and Charlotte is about the same as well. Is there any vs. thread that Charlotte can win??
No, because Charlotte is everyones favorite whipping boy on city data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM
 
27,745 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Reputation: 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
NoVa doesn't rely on itself? 6 Fortune 500 companies in Charlotte/Mecklenburg, 12 in NoVa.
NoVa has those company headquarters by virtue of being included in DC's metro area. While we can theoretically compare it to Charlotte for C-D comparison purposes, in real life there's no separating the area from the primary city of the metro and the rest of the metro overall.

And there are 7 F500 headquarters in Mecklenburg County, and one across the state line in York County, SC.

Quote:
Really bad comparison; Charlotte is a great city, but as one pointed out, splitting off a suburb of DC to compare to Charlotte does nothing to help Charlotte. I really don't see a single category that Charlotte really excels in, unless you value the fact the Charlotte isn't a high profile area like NoVa is (and that is a big plus). I frequent NoVa and DC, but am making a trip to Charlotte to visit family this weekend. Maybe I'll change my tune.
Off the top of my head, one would be sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2013, 10:47 PM
 
848 posts, read 1,636,037 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NoVa has those company headquarters by virtue of being included in DC's metro area. While we can theoretically compare it to Charlotte for C-D comparison purposes, in real life there's no separating the area from the primary city of the metro and the rest of the metro overall.

And there are 7 F500 headquarters in Mecklenburg County, and one across the state line in York County, SC.



Off the top of my head, one would be sports.
Funny... You want to count a company in SC along with Charlotte's list but discount the companies in NoVa as being there only because of DC... which has its own share of F500 companies. This is why Charlotte is everybody's whipping boy- because the folks who love it seem to think it trumps everywhere else, no matter how dumb their arguments get. When will we see the "Charlotte versus Chicago... LA... NYC..." poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 04:12 AM
 
27,745 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Reputation: 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Funny... You want to count a company in SC along with Charlotte's list but discount the companies in NoVa as being there only because of DC... which has its own share of F500 companies. This is why Charlotte is everybody's whipping boy- because the folks who love it seem to think it trumps everywhere else, no matter how dumb their arguments get. When will we see the "Charlotte versus Chicago... LA... NYC..." poll?
You're making absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. The fact of the matter here is that we're comparing an entire metro and its principal city--Charlotte--with the suburban area of another metro without its principal city and other half of the metro, NoVA. The F500 headquarters in SC counts because we're including the entire Charlotte metro in with the comparison to NoVA. Do you seriously think NoVA would have all of its amenities without its proximity to DC/inclusion in the DC metro? This is asinine, especially if you think this implies that people who "love it seem to think it trumps everywhere else." Even DC folks/fans have conceded that in this regard, it's not entirely a fair comparison.

Again, this is absolutely nonsensical. You're blinded by your own homerism to a substantially large degree here. And please note that this thread wasn't started by a "Charlotte lover," so if you feel slighted that this isn't the entire DC metro compared to Charlotte's metro--which would be a dumb comparison to begin with--take it up with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 08:09 AM
 
78 posts, read 73,015 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Funny... You want to count a company in SC along with Charlotte's list but discount the companies in NoVa as being there only because of DC... which has its own share of F500 companies. This is why Charlotte is everybody's whipping boy- because the folks who love it seem to think it trumps everywhere else, no matter how dumb their arguments get. When will we see the "Charlotte versus Chicago... LA... NYC..." poll?
I don't think I've ever seen one of these polls started by a Charlotte person...can you at least show us one to back up your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top