U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: NoVa vs Charlotte NC
Northern VA 40 57.97%
Charlotte, NC 29 42.03%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
 
848 posts, read 1,635,713 times
Reputation: 364

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're making absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. The fact of the matter here is that we're comparing an entire metro and its principal city--Charlotte--with the suburban area of another metro without its principal city and other half of the metro, NoVA. The F500 headquarters in SC counts because we're including the entire Charlotte metro in with the comparison to NoVA. Do you seriously think NoVA would have all of its amenities without its proximity to DC/inclusion in the DC metro? This is asinine, especially if you think this implies that people who "love it seem to think it trumps everywhere else." Even DC folks/fans have conceded that in this regard, it's not entirely a fair comparison.

Again, this is absolutely nonsensical. You're blinded by your own homerism to a substantially large degree here. And please note that this thread wasn't started by a "Charlotte lover," so if you feel slighted that this isn't the entire DC metro compared to Charlotte's metro--which would be a dumb comparison to begin with--take it up with the OP.
What is assinine is comparisons like these. I live equidistant from Charlotte and NoVa, so homerism isn't part of my argument. I just think that some of the yahoos on here always seem to make comparisons that are nonsensical. Why even bother ever comparing anything about VA with anything about NC, because immediately, a few homers will say that anything positive in VA is due to DC. By the way, I'm in CLT right now. Heading downtown tomorrow. So far, unimpressive and my family here (for the last year) have not been impressed. Real estate is cheap, though.

By the way ah59396, search for threads with VA and NC and you can see for yourself. Do you really think that people out in the hinterlands start these homeristic threads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Baltimore / Montgomery County, MD
1,196 posts, read 2,006,833 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Arlington and Alexandria are two historic urban districts amidst a sea of sprawl. Let's not act as though those two places characterize NoVA as a whole. Charlotte has nothing like Tyson's Corner, one of the largest suburban edge cities in the country. I do give it credit for its attempt to urbanize, though.
Damn straight you'll give it credit!!!
Four metro stations have been built are the new silver line is expected to begin operations in December of this year. Tyson's Corner will become a city in its own right in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM
 
27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Reputation: 16445
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
What is assinine is comparisons like these. I live equidistant from Charlotte and NoVa, so homerism isn't part of my argument. I just think that some of the yahoos on here always seem to make comparisons that are nonsensical.
Well as I said, take that up with the OP. Very rarely do folks from Charlotte make these sorts of threads, like the "Charlotte vs. Long Island" or "Charlotte vs. the OC" threads.

Quote:
Why even bother ever comparing anything about VA with anything about NC, because immediately, a few homers will say that anything positive in VA is due to DC.
Not true at all. Richmond and Hampton Roads are their own metro areas which have their primary city/cities within Virginia and the vast majority of their metros are within Virginia (Hampton Roads only has two sparsely populated NC counties in its MSA). NoVA, on the other hand, is one portion of a metro area that includes four states and a federal district, the principal city of which being that federal district. To think that NoVA's inclusion in metropolitan DC has nothing to do with its assets and amenities is the definition of delusion. Its heavy rail system is part of the WASHINGTON Metropolitan Area Transit Authority; the majority of its F500 company headquarters are government contractors (or in the case of Freddie Mac, an actual government company); and so on and so forth.

Quote:
By the way ah59396, search for threads with VA and NC and you can see for yourself. Do you really think that people out in the hinterlands start these homeristic threads?
I never said these threads were started by "people out in the hinterlands," so I have no clue where you're getting that from; I only said the vast majority of them aren't started by folks in Charlotte or Charlotte supporters--at least not the more outlandish ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Reputation: 5405
If NoVA was not part of the DC area, this would be a slam dunk easy Charlotte. But that's not the case so there is just no comparison here. You can't compare NOVA alone to another metro area. Makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,356 posts, read 2,216,639 times
Reputation: 600
NoVa would be nothing without DC. Therefore, as said before, NoVa relies on DC. Considering NoVa is one part of a metro 3 times the size of Charlotte, it makes sense the suburban area of Northern Virginia would contain the F500's, the malls, ect.

Where in Charlotte, the suburbs rely on Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
504 posts, read 468,536 times
Reputation: 945
Come on now. There are certainly suburban areas of NoVa, but not all of NoVa is suburban in character. Charlotte is a nice city. But generally, at least from my perspective it is not comparable to NoVa. Why? Because NoVa is a region with many historic medium and small-sized cities and towns, (yes, some more "urban" and dense than the Queen City), while Charlotte itself, is in fact, a one city. They are very different for different reasons.

This comparison is kind of like trying to compare Silicon Valley to Sacramento. You just wouldn't do it to begin with.

That said, Charlotte should probably really be compared to Va. Beach/Hampton Roads. When you try to take Alexandria, Arlington, Tysons, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Winchester et. al and then compare them with...Charlotte solo, it just ain't happenin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Prince George's County, Maryland
6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Reputation: 2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I love Columbia Heights, its reminds me of a NYC neighborhood.
It looks similar to the Atlantic and Flatbush Avenue area of Downtown Brooklyn (or Fort Greene?) near the Barclay's Center and the Atlantic Terminal/Atlantic Center Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,356 posts, read 2,216,639 times
Reputation: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Come on now. There are certainly suburban areas of NoVa, but not all of NoVa is suburban in character. Charlotte is a nice city. But generally, at least from my perspective it is not comparable to NoVa. Why? Because NoVa is a region with many historic medium and small-sized cities and towns, (yes, some more "urban" and dense than the Queen City), while Charlotte itself, is in fact, a one city. They are very different for different reasons.

This comparison is kind of like trying to compare Silicon Valley to Sacramento. You just wouldn't do it to begin with.

That said, Charlotte should probably really be compared to Va. Beach/Hampton Roads. When you try to take Alexandria, Arlington, Tysons, Fairfax, Fredericksburg, Winchester et. al and then compare them with...Charlotte solo, it just ain't happenin.
It's very comparable. Just because NoVa is made up of historic cities doesn't mean anything other than NoVa is better for a historian's prospective.

I'm almost 100% sure if Charlotte were compared to VA Beach, it'd overpower no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 03:54 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area (formerly DC and Boston)
1,930 posts, read 3,236,147 times
Reputation: 1516
Charlotte is more of a sensory deprivation chamber than a city.

Northern Virginia has 30-something subway stops and two jurisdictions approaching 10,000 people/sq mile. Even though it's a suburb, parts of it are far more urban than anything you'll find in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: NC
1,136 posts, read 2,086,050 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Charlotte is more of a sensory deprivation chamber than a city.

Northern Virginia has 30-something subway stops and two jurisdictions approaching 10,000 people/sq mile. Even though it's a suburb, parts of it are far more urban than anything you'll find in Charlotte.
Good point. And that's why I choose Charlotte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top