U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Kansas City 66 85.71%
Oklahoma City 11 14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,735,836 times

Advertisements

Comparing on these factors

Food
Crime
Safety
Traffic
Economy
Cost of Living
Amenities
Nightlife
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 02:15 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,630,290 times
You can't really compare these two cities. Kansas City is a mid-major city. Nothing unique but it holds its own and has plenty of amenities to keep one entertained. Oklahoma City is more like Wichita or Omaha, nothing really special.

Food - Kansas City
Crime - OKC
Safety - OKC
Traffic - OKC
Economy - Kansas City
Cost of Living - Tied
Amenities - Kansas City by a longshot
Nightlife - Kansas City

Old 05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You can't really compare these two cities. Kansas City is a mid-major city. Nothing unique but it holds its own and has plenty of amenities to keep one entertained. Oklahoma City is more like Wichita or Omaha, nothing really special.

Food - Kansas City
Crime - OKC
Safety - OKC
Traffic - OKC
Economy - Kansas City
Cost of Living - Tied
Nightlife - Kansas City
Oklahoma City metro area only has 700,000 less people than Kansas City MSA, and is growing at a faster rate than KC. The metros are pretty comparable to each other.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:11 PM

33,813 posts, read 31,071,829 times
Quote:

Food - Kansas City
Crime - OKC
Safety - OKC
Traffic - OKC
Economy - Kansas City
Cost of Living - Tied
Nightlife - Kansas City
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a city has to be as unique as New Orleans or San Francisco for you to give it its just due in terms of identifiable characteristics. For instance, KCMO is known for its blues legacy and famous for its BBQ, and music and food are among the chief elements that give a place a distinct identity. I know less about OKC's cultural history and characteristics so I won't comment on it, but I don't think a city has to be the most unique in order to not be just one step above being Anywhere, USA.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,113,008 times
Quote:

Food - Kansas City
Crime - OKC
Safety - OKC
Traffic - OKC
Economy - Kansas City
Cost of Living - Tied
Nightlife - Kansas City
oklahoma city is like wichita? thats like saying chicago is like indianapolis

Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,538,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Oklahoma City metro area only has 700,000 less people than Kansas City MSA, and is growing at a faster rate than KC. The metros are pretty comparable to each other.
I'm not trying to downplay OKC, or imply that they are "not comparable". I know very little about OKC, or how it stacks up to KC, but 700,000 is quite a bit of a difference when you're talking about a 2 million person metro and 1.3 person metro. Its 50% of the total of OKC, so KC is 1.5 times bigger.

StL is about 700K people bigger than KC and it is very noticeably bigger. Maybe not when you are talking about a metro the size of say Philly and Boston (about the same population difference, but they are 7 and 8 million person metros), but when there is a 50% population difference, it shows.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I'm not trying to downplay OKC, or imply that they are "not comparable". I know very little about OKC, or how it stacks up to KC, but 700,000 is quite a bit of a difference when you're talking about a 2 million person metro and 1.3 person metro. Its 50% of the total of OKC, so KC is 1.5 times bigger.

StL is about 700K people bigger than KC and it is very noticeably bigger. Maybe not when you are talking about a metro the size of say Philly and Boston (about the same population difference, but they are 7 and 8 million person metros), but when there is a 50% population difference, it shows.
This.

I moved to OKC from a metro of 2 million which is about the same size as Kansas City, and let me just say its been a difficult adjustment. OKC should be better than it is considering its metro size of 1.3 million, but its still too small to legitimately compete with Kansas City.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM

130 posts, read 247,548 times
Food - KC easily
Crime - not sure, probably OKC because of a less population
Safety - not sure, probably OKC because of a less population
Traffic - KC
Economy - kC
Cost of Living - KC
Amenities - KC
Nightlife - KC

Old 05-11-2013, 10:31 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,623,638 times
No comparison what so ever. The cities are just too different. KC may as well be Boston compared to OKC. OKC might have over a million people, but it feels like and has the culture of a smaller city. KC has over 2 million (2.5 in CMSA) and it acts and has the culture/amenities of a city closer to 3-4 million.

I have spent plenty of time in OKC, including an entire week there recently. The place is like a giant suburb without a city. I know they have done a lot and it's so much better than it was 10 years ago, but compared to KC, the city feels much less urban and less like a major city. It's a smaller countrified southern town with an NBA team and a very out of place skyscraper.

KC has a much more urban central city and tons more to do. Plus the city is not southern at all and not near as conservative. KC also has better weather and topography.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
No comparison what so ever. The cities are just too different. KC may as well be Boston compared to OKC. OKC might have over a million people, but it feels like and has the culture of a smaller city. KC has over 2 million (2.5 in CMSA) and it acts and has the culture/amenities of a city closer to 3-4 million.

I have spent plenty of time in OKC, including an entire week there recently. The place is like a giant suburb without a city. I know they have done a lot and it's so much better than it was 10 years ago, but compared to KC, the city feels much less urban and less like a major city. It's a smaller countrified southern town with an NBA team and a very out of place skyscraper.

KC has a much more urban central city and tons more to do. Plus the city is not southern at all and not near as conservative. KC also has better weather and topography.
This pretty much sums it up.

OKC performs terribly for its size and is in fact probably the worst city..um..town its size in the nation. It's peers are Wichita, Little Rock, Lubbock, and El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or