Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know, we would have to research it. I know only the largest homes can be converted into condo's. There is a Dupont Circle home that is being converted into a 7 unit condo, but it's huge. Most are 2-4 units around the city.
I would say the vast majority are two units. Even many of the larger houses (4 stories) will only contain two units. It's rare to see a 3+ unit rowhouse in DC. You only see those in the most massive of structures in Columbia Heights or Bloomingdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I would say the vast majority are two units. Even many of the larger houses (4 stories) will only contain two units. It's rare to see a 3+ unit rowhouse in DC. You only see those in the most massive of structures in Columbia Heights or Bloomingdale.

I agree, the point I was making in my response to that poster was that row homes can't keep pace with large apartment buildings. They don't pack enough units to make a difference. A 450 unit building is basically an entire rowhome neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I agree, the point I was making in my response to that poster was that row homes can't keep pace with large apartment buildings. They don't pack enough units to make a difference. A 450 unit building is basically an entire rowhome neighborhood.
I asked this in the DC forum but didn't get answer. This whole corridor was razed. What are they planning to build here?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I asked this in the DC forum but didn't get answer. This whole corridor was razed. What are they planning to build here?
Point at Arboretum
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/b...Picture-52.png

Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Should have gotten Walmart to pay for a light rail line. I'm sure they can afford it.

But honestly, if the streetcar brings so much development, then they should have run some tracks over there. H Street didn't really need it.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Should have gotten Walmart to pay for a light rail line. I'm sure they can afford it.

But honestly, if the streetcar brings so much development, then they should have run some tracks over there. H Street didn't really need it.

I know....smh. But I guess having that there is better than what is there now.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I know....smh. But I guess having that there is better than what is there now.
You think so? For all of the bluster from DC posters about DC being the standard for walkable TOD, I find it more than a bit amusing that the first thing people will see upon entering the city is a huge, sprawling, auto-dependent Walmart shopping center.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

There has been talk about running a streetcar spur up West Virginia ave. to this intersection off the Florida Ave. street car line, but that is down the line in planning. All the first corridors that will get streetcars are high density corridors. There aren't any people on New York Ave. to sustain the ridership.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
You think so? For all of the bluster from DC posters about DC being the standard for walkable TOD, I find it more than a bit amusing that the first thing people will see upon entering the city is a huge, sprawling, auto-dependent Walmart shopping center.

Well, you know as well as I do that there is no development happening outside of the core where rail transit is not present. If this was not built there, nothing would be built there. Do you think it would be better to leave it as it is for the next 20 years? Transit is a chicken and egg problem. You need density to be able to provide enough riders to warrant the financial cost to build rapid transit. Problem is, developers aren't going to build residential buildings in high crime industrial area's without transit. The area is kind of stuck. It will take 30 years for development to bleed that far northeast in the city.

Also, there is a T in TOD. Where is the T in this area? Buses don't count for transit oriented development.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There has been talk about running a streetcar spur up West Virginia ave. to this intersection off the Florida Ave. Street car line, but that is was down the line in planning. All the first corridors that will get streetcars are high density corridors. There aren't any people on New York Ave. to sustain the ridership.
But I thought the whole point of the streetcar is to promote development. You're supposed to run the streetcar through areas like Carver-Langston to promote density. What sense does it make to run it through areas where high transit ridership is a virtual guarantee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City