Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I hate when people lump being a homo with race. Being homo is an un-natural act, and don't care for this lifestye. I don't go bashing gays but you want find me kicking it with them. They chose to be this way! Race is natural and have no problem with a person's skin color. People are born with their skin color. I'm so sick of gay rights and gay marriage. In the past you could express these views and have a following, now people will call you a bad person because you don't like gay people. I quess right and wrong is in the eye of the beholder.

I will say that South Florida is very intergrated and racisim is not in your face like Boston!
Personally, I don't think it matters whether or not you think being homosexual is a choice, or whether or not you socialize with gays.

It's a matter of tolerance.

Should we, as a [free?] country, accept any way of life, even if we personally don't agree with it or like it?

I think we should.

Also got a chuckle out of that last part, haha.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Let me ask this so we can move on from this. Have you ever attempted to educate yourself on the subject?
I don't want to derail this thread any further. I just ask one person to educate me on how being gay is not a choice.

For those that support gays no problem, live your life the way you desire but don't get mad at those who don't accept this way of life. South Florida is pretty open to this lifestyle. Wilton Manors in Broward County has plenty of gay pride. Sorry for anyone who was hurt by my earlier comments.

The racism in South Florida is between different ethnic groups and some with the same ancestory. You have Haitians, Jamaicans, and African Americans not liking each other. My wife's mother is Jamaican and she doesn't like black Americans. Cuban and Colombians are not very accepting of each other and have first hand experience with this. Whats left of the southern whites can't stand what they call Yankees from the east-coast. Overall it's not as bad as some of the segregated cities in the Midwest.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
I don't want to derail this thread any further. I just ask one person to educate me on how being gay is not a choice..
At what point in your life did you choose to be straight?

Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Wow, what a post. So if you have no issues with people bashing gays and saying they should not have the same rights as straight people, what do you have to say for the people back in the 50s and 60s that opposed African American rights and were sick and tired of hearing about them?

I find it personally insulting for someone to compare being gay with being black. It's a ridiculous comparison.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Quote:
Again for the second time you can't compare skin color to an un-natural act such as being homo-sexual. No comparison. For the person that says being gay is not a choice please educate me.

I actually think it's due to some sort of hormonal or chemical imbalance. There's no way that anyone(especially a man) would choose to be gay.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Again for the second time you can't compare skin color to an un-natural act such as being homo-sexual. No comparison. For the person that says being gay is not a choice please educate me.
I'm gay. I didn't choose to be though. In fact, I spent 27 years fighting it. I was brought up in a devout Christian home and fought being gay with everything I had. "Praying the gay away" didn't work for me nor for anyone else I have ever met. I was severely depressed to the point of being suicidal. Finally, I came out to myself, admitting this was part of me that I didn't choose and one that was never going away. I call this choosing to accept the way I was born. I expect you to call this choosing to be gay.

This is a very condensed version since this isn't really the place for this discussion. Also, I'm not really convinced that you care or are in any way open to rethinking the opinion you have already made.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I actually think it's due to some sort of hormonal or chemical imbalance. There's no way that anyone(especially a man) would choose to be gay.
Right? Does anyone really think that someone would choose to be discriminated against, a social outcast, have less rights, etc...? Who the hell would ever want to deal with the repercussions of being gay? "I love my family but I'm going to choose to live a way that will cause them to disown me. Great idea right!?"

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I find it personally insulting for someone to compare being gay with being black. It's a ridiculous comparison.
Two groups of people who have to fight for equal rights. Doesn't seem like such a stretch to me.

I assume your reasoning is that you can't hide race (although some people kinda do) and going back to slavery and resulting issues from that. Still, saying one group has faced greater challenges doesn't mean the other group doesn't deserve equal rights too.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
At what point in your life did you choose to be straight?
It's nature way and don't have to choose!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I'm gay. I didn't choose to be though. In fact, I spent 27 years fighting it. I was brought up in a devout Christian home and fought being gay with everything I had. "Praying the gay away" didn't work for me nor for anyone else I have ever met. I was severely depressed to the point of being suicidal. Finally, I came out to myself, admitting this was part of me that I didn't choose and one that was never going away. I call this choosing to accept the way I was born. I expect you to call this choosing to be gay.

This is a very condensed version since this isn't really the place for this discussion. Also, I'm not really convinced that you care or are in any way open to rethinking the opinion you have already made.
Fair enough and glad you now feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City