U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:20 AM

23 posts, read 76,234 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your replies so far--much appreciated!
I have been to the NY metro and even though it was very extensive, it was very... dirty.... I love the DC subway system (even though it is limited in stops).
So you think the subway system is similar to New York or more to DC?

what about the weather?- we are planning to drive to Chicago the day of or after Christmas to look for potential apartments and check out the city..
Also since you nice folks of Chicago have been so kind in answering all my other questions-
-what activities would you suggest in Chicago that is really popular in the downtown area at that time of the year? we are newly married so we were hoping to get in a fun new year 2008 with some local flavor downtown. Not big on the New Year's eve parties(been there done that)- I read about a carriage ride from..sear's tower?Is that feasible at that time of the year? How expensive is that?

have heard Chicago is really cold..how cold is "cold"? 45,55?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 5,694,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB_MOVING View Post
Typical at that time of year= 20s/30s. Jan/Feb it can get to single digits, with windchills below zero.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM

84 posts, read 376,719 times
The subway/El is probably closer to NY. It doesn't extend into too many suburbs the way DCs does. The atmosphere varies a lot depending on what line you're on. The Brown line serves mostly upscale northside neighborhoods so is usually filled with commuting professionals and seems cleaner. The Red line spans the entire length of the city North-to-South and can sometimes seem a little more run-down and dirty.

Between Xmas and New Years I would stay in the Gold Coast/Mag Mile area. I wouldn't plan an activity near the Sears Tower mostly because its in a purely business area that will be pretty empty during the holidays. Check out the Signature Room at the Hancock Tower if you want to start with a skyscraper. There are lots of horse carriage rides that go around the Gold Coast & Old Town areas that should make for nice rides. The Lincoln Park Zoo stays open at night and has a festival atmosphere with lights strung everywhere, hot chocolate, etc. Check out the neighborhoods north of downtown - stroll Armitage and Webster Aves near Halsted, Clark in Wrigleyville.

Weather will be a crapshoot. You could see highs in the 50s or in the 20s - its actually been warm near Xmas the last few years. I would plan for highs in the upper 30s/low 40s which should be average.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
winter is Cold as in 0 degrees F. Always. guaranteed. for a day or two. Although it does fluctuate and we get a lot of freezes and thaws. New years - no telling, the last few have been mild though 20-30 degrees. Make sure you buy good warm boots and gloves. (Sorel brand for boots)

Old 11-08-2007, 05:20 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,119,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB_MOVING View Post
Thanks for all your replies so far--much appreciated!
I have been to the NY metro and even though it was very extensive, it was very... dirty.... I love the DC subway system (even though it is limited in stops).
So you think the subway system is similar to New York or more to DC?

what about the weather?- we are planning to drive to Chicago the day of or after Christmas to look for potential apartments and check out the city..
Also since you nice folks of Chicago have been so kind in answering all my other questions-
-what activities would you suggest in Chicago that is really popular in the downtown area at that time of the year? we are newly married so we were hoping to get in a fun new year 2008 with some local flavor downtown. Not big on the New Year's eve parties(been there done that)- I read about a carriage ride from..sear's tower?Is that feasible at that time of the year? How expensive is that?

Uh, no. Cold is really cold. It is not 45/55 You could have a warm streek, but will likely be FREEZING (below 30, windchill can get in the negatives).
As for New Years, even bars, etc are super expensive on that night. For things to do, check out Metromix
I wouldn't recommend the carriage ride. It will be freezing and goes right in the middle of traffic....not too fun.
Also, instead of the Sears Tower, go to the 95th Floor of the Hancock for a drink. Nice view and it's free to get up in it!
You can also check out Grant Park. At that time of year, they have ice skating, etc. I would also go check out the various neighborhoods that you might want to live in.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:36 AM

84 posts, read 376,719 times
You guys are exaggerating more than a little. Average highs in late December are in the low-mid 30s, not 0. Yes, there will be more edge to the cold than there is in DC at the same time, but its not Antarctica. If the days are nice and sunny it shouldn't be too tough to enjoy yourself walking around outside.

Like I said, there can be a huge variation in temps depending on what happens with the weather. Many of the last few years have been mild (40s) between Thanksgiving and Xmas, but there could always be a cold snap that drops the highs into the 20s or below.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,119,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyTeeth View Post
You guys are exaggerating more than a little. Average highs in late December are in the low-mid 30s, not 0. Yes, there will be more edge to the cold than there is in DC at the same time, but its not Antarctica. If the days are nice and sunny it shouldn't be too tough to enjoy yourself walking around outside.

Like I said, there can be a huge variation in temps depending on what happens with the weather. Many of the last few years have been mild (40s) between Thanksgiving and Xmas, but there could always be a cold snap that drops the highs into the 20s or below.
The average for Jan (so, around New Years) is between 18-32 degrees.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,262,100 times
Coming from DC to Chicago won't be culture shock. Chicago is like DC in some respects. It is very clean, livable, walkable, with a big museum and arts scene as well as good mass transit. I think the metro is much better (service, cleanliness, convenience) than the el but that's my opinion.

Chicago proper also has some really (more than DC) great neighborhoods. But DC neighborhoods (suburbs) like Bethesda, Arlington and Old Town are unmatched. As for the weather - The wind chill factor in Chicago makes the weather worse than DC's. 20 degrees in DC is like 5 in Chicago because of the wind. It rattles your bones. The cost of living in Chicago is perfect. You get a great big city living experience cheaper than anywhere in DC. Plus, walking or jogging along the lake in front of the city scape is awesome. The only thing that I missed when I stayed (short stint) in Chicago was the parks and scenery in DC. Rock Creek Park can't be beat.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 AM

23 posts, read 76,234 times
oK lots of great suggestions and I am definitely going to take advantage of them..
DC's finest-you think the metro travels to more destinations in the DC area versus the el? I happen to think even though the metro is clean it does not travel very far out anywhere...

what about apartments right near the "el" or metra stations? are they very expensive to rent (i feel that is the case in DC)

Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM

459 posts, read 1,252,335 times
i've heard apts right next to the el are a little cheaper to rent, due to the noise. i suppose you DO get used to the sounds of the trains roaring by after a while though. i am dating a girl that lives beside the metra line and it doesn't wake me up every time anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or