U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM

23 posts, read 76,400 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about accepting a job offer with FAA in Aurora- we are a young newly married couple in DC thinking about moving to downtown Chicago-

I love to go clubbing, hiking, "hang downtown"(Georgetown, Adams Morgan) and am a foodie at heart. I am very well situated in a top IT firm in DC....and am VERY happy here....Any convincing arguments that will make it easier for me to move there with him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM

1,013 posts, read 4,068,113 times
I wouldn't recommend downtown Chicago if your husband is working in Aurora. That would be a LONG commute. You may want to check into Naperville. While it isn't the city, it has a vibrant downtown area with many great restaurants you find in the city, shopping, and bars. And it has the metra train to get downtown.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM

23 posts, read 76,400 times
Hi- that is true but I will be working in Chicago city and thus we are considering living downtown

Old 11-01-2007, 10:04 PM

1,013 posts, read 4,068,113 times
Well in that case, you can't beat the Chicago. It has great nightlife, restaurants, entertainment, the beautiful lake. I lived there for 5 years after college, in the neighborhoods of Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park and loved it.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM

7,246 posts, read 13,169,483 times
With the exception of hiking, you can do all of the things you mentioned in Chicago, and do them with gusto.

Chicago has some of the best restaurants in the country.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:27 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,371,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB_MOVING View Post
Hi- that is true but I will be working in Chicago city and thus we are considering living downtown
Just make sure hubby is willing to deal with a stop and go 1.5 hour commute each way every day before you pull the plug.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,134,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB_MOVING View Post

The problem is that his commute is not going to be fun. You can look at the metra lines to see how long it would take (around 1 hour just on the train plus added time if you don't live close to Union Station). Then, when he gets to Aurora, the question is how will he get to work from the train station? There might be a shuttle or it might be in walking distance, or it may mean another bus....
Just things to consider.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 AM

2,227 posts, read 5,705,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
With the exception of hiking, you can do all of the things you mentioned in Chicago, and do them with gusto.
It should be mentioned there are tons of forest preserves 15 minute-1/2 hr. drive from the city

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,055,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
It should be mentioned there are tons of forest preserves 15 minute-1/2 hr. drive from the city
And a bit further north is the Illinois State Beach with lots of hiking trails too.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:42 AM

4,665 posts, read 8,724,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Well in that case, you can't beat the Chicago.
I love it when people add an unnecessary "the" before a place.

Anyways, to the original poster, I strongly suggest you guys look into Forest Park/Oak Park. In a perfect world, the South Loop would be a great neighborhood for you guys to move into. However, unless your husband will be able to trake Metra out to Aurora, his commute will suck the soul out of his body and destroy everything you two hold sacred. There is no reverse commute on the Eisenhower. It is a white-knuckled, vein-popping mountain of suck during the 9 hours of rush hour every day. The other 15 hours, it just sucks.

After a grueling 5 day week, your husband will spend two and a half hours going 6 miles an hour to get back in the city. When he finally puts the car in park, he won't want to go sample any of the hundreds of great restaurants we have here. He's going to want to sit in the dark, with a bottle of Jack, humming sadly along to an old John Prine album. It doesn't matter if he doesn't like John Prine now. He will. Trust me.

However, Oak Park and neighboring Forest Park offer you vibrant, urban living just on the edge of the city. They have two CTA lines and a Metra stop going through it. They straddle the Eisenhower at just the right spot. When going inbound, you get on at Harlem just as traffic clears up. Going outbound, get on at Des Plaines and enjoy the feeling of putting your foot on the gas while all the suckers behind you have been riding the brake their last 40 minutes.

The choice is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or